CPC holder myth buster

A simple question:
We have a CPC holder TM who claims that they are more qualified than the CPC holder who’s sat at the next desk, they claim that they can are qualified to run 250 trucks yet they other TM is only qualified to run 70 trucks.
My question is is this BS? Because my understanding of this is that the margin or number of trucks operating on an O’licence is decided by the TC and not by their superiority

Independent or external TMs can only run 50 vehicles. Can’t see it being much, if any, different for employed TMs. Maybe the rules were different when they still did national and international TM CPCs, but even that I’d doubt

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

peirre:
My question is, is this BS?

Totally.
You may already know that external TMs are limited to the “4 Operators 50 vehicles total” rule) but the qualification doesn’t state how many trucks you can run as an internal TM, only that when you have over 50 trucks you’d probably need some assistance to run them. And there certainly is NOT any system for a “Higher TM CPC” that allows a higher margin - it’s one size fits all.

“Mr 250” Trucks sounds like an unbearably arrogant character, and I’d be comfortably willing to wager a years income that no TC in the UK would approve them to do this, and what’s more I’ve yet to meet any conscientious TM who would claim that this could do that task adequately.

Zac_A:
“Mr 250” Trucks sounds like an unbearably arrogant character, and I’d be comfortably willing to wager a years income that no TC in the UK would approve them to do this, and what’s more I’ve yet to meet any conscientious TM who would claim that this could do that task adequately.

Its not an external CPC holder, they are working for one of the corporate logistics companies, and they only came into the job around 6 months ago as a shift manager, but due to the high turnover of staff and workload in the office, theyve now managed to become the TM in a short space of time. Mainly because no one else wants the job. To add to the arrogance she claims to be a qualified Operator CPC coach who teaches people to pass their CPC, yet Ive never seen any evidence of this from her. However the company has their own driver trainers for stuff like DCPC, ADR etc, and the operator CPC training is done externally

A TM who’s full of ■■■■.

What are any of you surprised about?

Zac_A:

peirre:
My question is, is this BS?

Totally.
You may already know that external TMs are limited to the “4 Operators 50 vehicles total” rule) but the qualification doesn’t state how many trucks you can run as an internal TM, only that when you have over 50 trucks you’d probably need some assistance to run them. And there certainly is NOT any system for a “Higher TM CPC” that allows a higher margin - it’s one size fits all.

I reckon it`d take half-a-dozen full-time TMs to manage just one or two of the drivers posting on TNUK!

Lots of larger companies have transport manager roles that may or may not have a TM CPC, but it is a job title and they are not always named as aTM on the Company’s Licence. They both take the same examine end up with exactly the same qualification. TM role in larger companies is rarely the same as an OD or TM for a smaller operator.

It could be that internally the Co has a staff grading system and for example says that a TM ‘Grade 3’ can manage x vehicles / trailers / drivers and TM ‘grade 4’ can manage a different number. And often the TM isn’t required to hold a TM CPC.

If you are curious, just check the .Gov website for the o licence and see who is named as TMs

I got my CPC in 1992 but have never used it so I am not able say what the current rules are. I know that if you are a driver it can upset some of the office staff that you are better qualified, on paper, than they are.

peirre:
To add to the arrogance she claims to be a qualified Operator CPC coach who teaches people to pass their CPC,

Ha! She’s a total BS merchant then :laughing:

As long as you possess your TM-CPC you can teach it to others - end of.

However It would be a good idea for someone doing this to have a recognised Level 3 “teaching qualification” but that’s generally just a two day course and you are assessed by the instuctor, there’s no formal written exams. And prior teaching/instructing/training experience would be sensible too, but that’s not hard to get, plenty of training providers are glad to have willing newbie trainers on their roster.

Acorn:
It could be that internally the Co has a staff grading system and for example says that a TM ‘Grade 3’ can manage x vehicles / trailers / drivers and TM ‘grade 4’ can manage a different number. And often the TM isn’t required to hold a TM CPC.

You’re right that being (i) a nominated TM or (ii) partaking of TM role, or (iii) simply using TM as a job description, are all very different, but in Pierre’s example it appeared to me that the person in question believed they could be a nominated TM responsible for 250 trucks, which is never going to get any TC’s approval so is pure fantasy.

Even if she was fulfilling one of the other two options, it just isn’t physically possible for one person to manage 250 trucks, so anyone who would have the brass neck to make such a claim is an onanist of the highest order.

Whether it’s 50 or 250 vehicles, chances of a TM does it all in any big organisation, do both could be correct. Are we saying there is no planner/s, no admin, no HR, no other trandport support!!!