Cpc for 7.5 ton?

I passed my initial CPC for category D and in the 2.5 years I worked for the bus company, I ‘earnt’ 3 x 8 hour training sessions on buses.

I then took my category C test and that sorted out the final 2 years worth of the incremental CPC requirements. I already had it until 2014 as I got my car licence in the mid 90s.

I have one card that covers me for LGV (C1 C1E C CE) and PCV (D1 D1E D DE) (when the DVLA fix that of course, until then I’ve got all the LGV stuff but only D1 D1E and D :unamused: :unamused: )

But whatever extra training I take towards my CPC after 2015 or whatever the date is, either on PCV or LGV, it will all count to the one card :wink:

Saratoga:
I passed my initial CPC for category D and in the 2.5 years I worked for the bus company, I ‘earnt’ 3 x 8 hour training sessions on buses.

I then took my category C test and that sorted out the final 2 years worth of the incremental CPC requirements. I already had it until 2014 as I got my car licence in the mid 90s.

I have one card that covers me for LGV (C1 C1E C CE) and PCV (D1 D1E D DE) (when the DVLA fix that of course, until then I’ve got all the LGV stuff but only D1 D1E and D :unamused: :unamused: )

But whatever extra training I take towards my CPC after 2015 or whatever the date is, either on PCV or LGV, it will all count to the one card :wink:

That would be correct for you as a holder of grandfather rights to CPC.

However for a youngster / late starter, you need to do 8 modules to pass a Cat C and D.

I did do a bunch of modules for my PCV when I passed in 2008. I can’t remember what they were (module names/numbers) but I know I did them.

Surely they only need to do 4 modules and once they have their CPC it will cover both sides.

I have yet to see the CPC card for a LGV non PCV holder yet to determine these things… :astonished:

You are confusing initial CPC modules with the ongoing 7 hour blocks.

You will have done the ongoing modules for PCV as you already had grandfather rights with a 7.5t C1 on your license before you started.

I refer to the initial CPC modules which make up a Professional Driving Test for those without acquired rights

I see Dean, so this Module 4 CPC Practical Test Certificate I have somewhere here is a forgery is it :smiley: :smiley:

Eh? Now I’m confused.

Obviously not a forgery. But that means I am delusional.

I assumed that CPC grandfather rights covered C and D

They probably did Dean, but when I did by bus training I got my D pass cert plus the CPC… Erm, I think I’ve got it to hand… erm…

Practical D - Oct 08 Wolverhampton
Practical C - Apr 11 Garretts Green
Practical CE - Mar 12 Mansfield

CPC Module 4 - Oct 08 for Cat D. Ahh, looks like I did the Mod 4 two days before my practical test. I guess that would explain the different names for the examiners :unamused: :blush:

dar1976:

Pre-1997 car tests give LGV initial DCPC by grandfather rights, but not PCV initial DCPC, as the D1 and D1E entitlement is ‘not for hire and reward’ so does not cover vocational driving.

Those who held hire and reward PCV entitlement on the PCV DCPC commencement date got PCV initial DCPC by grandfather rights. Most of these would be drivers who had passed a D or D1 driving test. I am not sure (anyone? - Peter Smythe, perhaps) whether drivers who were driving buses when PSV driver licensing was first introduced got PSV licences on grandfather rights, as happened when the original HGV licences were introduced.

djw:

dar1976:

Pre-1997 car tests give LGV initial DCPC by grandfather rights, but not PCV initial DCPC, as the D1 and D1E entitlement is ‘not for hire and reward’ so does not cover vocational driving.

Those who held hire and reward PCV entitlement on the PCV DCPC commencement date got PCV initial DCPC by grandfather rights. Most of these would be drivers who had passed a D or D1 driving test. I am not sure (anyone? - Peter Smythe, perhaps) whether drivers who were driving buses when PSV driver licensing was first introduced got PSV licences on grandfather rights, as happened when the original HGV licences were introduced.

There we go. I stand corrected.

im also confused on this.my scenario is recently passed lgv and adr which gave me 21hrs cpc.went for an interview today and was told im unable to drive lgvc as its new and aint got 35hrs.i passed my car test in 1983 and been driving 7.5 ton for years which apparently i can carry on doing thought my granfather rights would enable me to drive lgvc till i complete 14 hors to aquire rights.thankyou all by the way for providing all the info its like a bible on here.

jacksy:
im also confused on this.my scenario is recently passed lgv and adr which gave me 21hrs cpc.went for an interview today and was told im unable to drive lgvc as its new and aint got 35hrs.i passed my car test in 1983 and been driving 7.5 ton for years which apparently i can carry on doing thought my granfather rights would enable me to drive lgvc till i complete 14 hors to aquire rights.thankyou all by the way for providing all the info its like a bible on here.

Your car test pass gave you C1 which means aquired rights to 2014 without doing any hours. If you do another 14hrs to get you 35 then you’re covered until 2019.

i thought so but was close to landing the job there and then but the transport manager reckoned its different i was under the impression 14 hrs and i was sorted where 7 for digicard and 7 for hiab would cover me.hes going to see now if i can just carry on with 7.5 ton otherwise no job .i didnt really want to cause a fuss in interview giving it large as im new to the game cheers.

Ok, the simple version.

The vast majority of drivers of buses and trucks need driver cpc. There’s two types of driver cpc: initial and periodic. Anyone who held a C1 or better before Sept 2009 has the cpc on grandfather rights. (Drivers passing their car test before 1997 will automatically hold C1). The same group of people also hold a D1 but this is NOT grandfather rights as it is restricted to “not for hire and reward”. So the only grandfather rights for D1 or better are for those who passed a D1 or better before Sept 2008. (not a misprint).

So these people have to complete 35 hours of periodic training within 5 years of the above dates.

Newer drivers falling outside the scope of the above will need to gain their Initial cpc. This is known as Mod 2 and Mod 4. They then still need to complete 35 hours of periodic training within the 5 year timeframe laid out on the cpc card.

Sadly there are more than a few operators and transport managers who think they know better but these are the basic facts.

Could complicate the issue - - but why?

Good luck all, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Slightly different but the dot Gov site seems to be a little vague.

These guys drive 7½ tonners, but not for hire and reward. They prepare/pre-build the stands in their factory, load onto truck with tools etc, travel to site all over the UK and mainland Europe ; unload, build the stand, including the driver building the stand, drive back to the factory, then do the reverse a few days later after the trade show has finished.

The question is - do they need a driver’s CPC?

Hi Santa,

I’m not sure of the answer to your question, I think there may be some get out where driving is not the main job but maybe someone more knowledgeable can confirm the details.

In the meantime, I just wanted to let you know that I’m being a very good boy again this year. :smiley:

Santa:
Slightly different but the dot Gov site seems to be a little vague.

These guys drive 7½ tonners, but not for hire and reward. They prepare/pre-build the stands in their factory, load onto truck with tools etc, travel to site all over the UK and mainland Europe ; unload, build the stand, including the driver building the stand, drive back to the factory, then do the reverse a few days later after the trade show has finished.

The question is - do they need a driver’s CPC?

I assume this is a company that does show stands, if that’s correct then I believe that generally the stands belong to the company that builds them rather than the company that’s exhibiting on the stand in which case I would say the driver is exempt on the grounds that he’s carrying materials for his/her trade and driving is not the drivers main activity.

hgvhgv:
Only reason I ask is i been offered some work but still have to do my .od4 a week from now. Chances of getting caught are slim but not worth the 1k fine!

That’s just if you get caught. Try hurting someone in a crash then see what happens.

Like you said, not worth it.

Correct Tachograph - I just wonder if some VOSA agent will agree?

Sorry but going to have to disagree with this. I believe you do need a cpc as you are building the stand for someone else. The stand 9/10 belongs to the company you are building it for, unless written into the contract, therefore not like scaffolding companies. So in my eyes you need cpc.

Driving to locations all over the UK and EU means the driving is not a small incidental part of the job so needs DCPC