CPC expired, Renewal question

Hi guys, Was hoping to get some information/help here regarding CPC renewal.
I passed C+E in the Army around 2010 and first attempted to get a job driving around 2015, I funded my own CPC to do so
The job i got ruined my confidence after i asked them to start me slow on Class 2, instead they threw me straight into the articulated deep end, which i had never driven before. Needless to say the job lasted less than a week.
I ended up letting the CPC expire in 2020, so my question for you guys is would i need to completely re-do the CPC course or just the 35hour renewal course?
Googling this is getting me mixed answers so i’d appreciate any input

hi,you could go either way:35 hours or test :slight_smile:

You’ve had DCPC once so you’re not eligible for the INITIAL DCPC, ie Mod 2 and Mod 4, you need the PERIODIC DCPC (35 hours).

Plenty of dirt cheap online options, but it does mean staring at a screen for hours (■■■■■ big style IMO). Personally I think a classroom is better. Choose your provider carefully, they’re not all the same

Rhys2266:
would i need to completely re-do the CPC course or just the 35hour renewal course?

If you’d prefer to do the 35 hrs then that is all that is required.

I don’t understand how new entrants with a pre 1997 car licence have a choice, but Zac says you don’t. But if you don’t prefer to do the tests instead then it doesn’t matter, just do the 35 hrs.

Plenty of cpc hours if you fancy doing the ADR course/exam that is cpc approved

ROG:

Hi ROG, I have another few years before I need to worry about renewing my CPC, but am I right in thinking that if you do the ADR course and exam, all of those hours goes towards the 35 CPC hours?

If so, is this a much more expensive route than doing 35 hours of something else on a computer? Seems like a no-brainer if not.

Sent from my DUB-LX1 using Tapatalk

Goff118:

ROG:

Hi ROG, I have another few years before I need to worry about renewing my CPC, but am I right in thinking that if you do the ADR course and exam, all of those hours goes towards the 35 CPC hours?

If so, is this a much more expensive route than doing 35 hours of something else on a computer? Seems like a no-brainer if not.

I think 21 for the main course and 7 for tanks - site manager dieseldave knows exactly

Goff118:

ROG:

Yes it is much more expensive, for a start it will almost certainly be a classroom rather than a £35 internet session. So it really comes down to whether you will use it (therefore essential) or not (waste of money)

Cheers Stu!

stu675:
I don’t understand how new entrants with a pre 1997 car licence have a choice,

It’s because we oldies got our C1 entitlement, also our D1 minibus entitlement, as freebies when we passed our car (cat B) test. Generally referred to as “preserved entitlements”

Goff118:

ROG:

The ADR exams don’t count for DCPC: As already said there’s 21 hours for the standard course and another 7 hours for Tanks - BUT you need to confirm this with the training provider before paying for the course: not all TPs ensure their ADR is DCPC approved

ADR varies a lot in price; “darn sarf” it can be around £700, up north we run it for £500.

Consider this though: lets say you do a cheap DCPC course at £35 per day, over four days there’s £140, subtract that from the £500 means your ADR only cost £360, which if you’re an agency driver might easily be earned with a week of work that would otherwise be unavailable to you.

Ah definite food for thought, thanks. Is ADR work fairly easy to come by via agency? It’ll be a decision I’ll be facing in around 2/3 years, when I should have a bit more experience under my belt also.

Goff118:
Ah definite food for thought, thanks. Is ADR work fairly easy to come by via agency? It’ll be a decision I’ll be facing in around 2/3 years, when I should have a bit more experience under my belt also.

Depends where you live: I’m on Teesside, ADR work is common around here, other parts of the county I can’t speak for.

stu675:

Rhys2266:
would i need to completely re-do the CPC course or just the 35hour renewal course?

I don’t understand how new entrants with a pre 1997 car licence have a choice, but Zac says you don’t. But if you don’t prefer to do the tests instead then it doesn’t matter, just do the 35 hrs.

There isn’t a choice in this case because a previous CPC card has been issued.

Someone could have held C1 all those years and not touched it, so the option of initial CPC in that situation seems fair.

Edit: Also, for the o/p, you need to have five valid CPC modules, completed within a five year period, for a new card to be issued. I gather the rules were changed not to allow duplicate courses.

2024 will be a busy CPC year, particularly running up to September, because many drivers will still be renewing on the 5 year anniversary of September 2014.

Noremac:

stu675:

Rhys2266:

There isn’t a choice in this case because a previous CPC card has been issued.

Someone could have held C1 all those years and not touched it, so the option of initial CPC in that situation seems fair.

Edit: Also, for the o/p, you need to have five valid CPC modules, completed within a five year period, for a new card to be issued. I gather the rules were changed not to allow duplicate courses.

2024 will be a busy CPC year, particularly running up to September, because many drivers will still be renewing on the 5 year anniversary of September 2014.

Thanks, agreed that makes sense.
If the N-Dcpc gets brought in in time, that should reduce the Sep 2024 rush.
The govt updated this last week, but not sure what they updated, the consultation period obviously long expired.
gov.uk/government/consultat … pc-changes

stu675:
Thanks, agreed that makes sense.
If the N-Dcpc gets brought in in time, that should reduce the Sep 2024 rush.
The govt updated this last week, but not sure what they updated, the consultation period obviously long expired.
gov.uk/government/consultat … pc-changes

Thanks for that link stu675, I wasn’t aware of that consultation regarding ongoing CPC.

I wonder how difficult the test would be. Presumably it would need to have a certain failure rate in order to validate it, so the difficulty would be set accordingly. It does raise a few more questions for me, such as: Where would you do the test? Is it exam conditions?

No detail on what the reformed training would consist of, apart from maybe shorter courses.

For me at the moment, I a) have the training provided and b) get paid for the day anyway, c) do the day at my normal place of work, so the existing arrangement isn’t that bad. If industry pays for the CPC and pays drivers for the day, no issues!

Noremac:
I wonder how difficult the test would be. Presumably it would need to have a certain failure rate in order to validate it, so the difficulty would be set accordingly. It does raise a few more questions for me, such as: Where would you do the test? Is it exam conditions?

I’d venture it would be safe to say that it would be done under similar conditions and in similar locations to the current: Module 1a (theory) module 1b (hazard perception), and Module 2 (initial DCPC) tests.
I doubt it would be administered by individual training providers, seeing as a number of them couldn’t be trusted not to facilitate cheating.