CPC Dolly knot query

netknots.com/rope_knots/truckers-hitch/

Is this correct? Mastered it but worried it’s not what they’re looking for on cpc mod 4!

Thanks

Luke

I don’t know about Mod 4, but thanks for posting that, much, much clearer than all the youtube vids I’ve seen.

exit:
I don’t know about Mod 4, but thanks for posting that, much, much clearer than all the youtube vids I’ve seen.

No problem, I’m just worried it’s not the same thing - however it is one of the top results on Google for dolly knot.

Forget it! You will NOT need to demonstrate a dolly knot on Mod 4. The question relates to the correct load restraint for paper. The answer is STRAPS. You will then demonstrate the use of a ratchet strap. If you foolishly mention the rope as an alternative, you may well have to use it. But don’t mention the rope and you wont get involved in it at all.

Hope this helps, and all the best with the test, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

It is rare nowadays but I am using a lot of roping and sheeting. Can do it many ways as every one is doing it his own way with the same result. Have never seen some one doing it this way. I mean it doesn’t looks as a Dolly knot.

However. As said above. You won’t have to do it unless you mention it on the test.

Good luck on the test!

The knot in that link is not a proper dolly knot. The dolly is easy, you make a small loop in the loose rope with your left hand, wrap the hanging rope below it around the loop with your right hand which makes another bigger loop, which you then twist, the remaining loose rope is then used to make another loop by pulling it through the twisted loop, which you hook on to the rope hook, you then pull down on the loose rope and secure it to the hook with a hitch.

You should be able to do all that in one fluid motion after a couple of attempts, unless you’re left handed, in which case you’re a bloody nuisance and should never ever rope a load for anybody else EVER!!!

Surely it’s worth knowing though even if not on CPC?

So basically on the Dolly Knot question do not mention ropes, just ratchet straps? Would the examiner ever challenge this and ask for an alternative restraint type?

Cheers

Luke

newmercman:
You should be able to do all that in one fluid motion after a couple of attempts, unless you’re left handed, in which case you’re a bloody nuisance and should never ever rope a load for anybody else EVER!!!

Did wonder why your description had me hog tied , I’m a leftie and confused me [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]

No. In the early days of driver cpc, we had an examiner ask the question about restraining paper and the candidate answered that he would use the strap. The examiner then asked him to perform a dolly knot (which he did cos he’d been taught how to do it) but I queried it with the examiner who stood his ground and said he could do that.

I moved further up the food chain within the DSA and received clarification that, on this occasion, the examiner was incorrect and that this should never have happened.

It has never happened to any of my candidates since and I’ve not heard of problems elsewhere.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

dcgpx:

newmercman:

Did wonder why your description had me hog tied , I’m a leftie and confused me [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]

You lefties do everything back to front, so it’s a PITA trying to slip the dolly loose when you want to undo the ropes.

Peter Smythe:
No. In the early days of driver cpc, we had an examiner ask the question about restraining paper and the candidate answered that he would use the strap. The examiner then asked him to perform a dolly knot (which he did cos he’d been taught how to do it) but I queried it with the examiner who stood his ground and said he could do that.

I moved further up the food chain within the DSA and received clarification that, on this occasion, the examiner was incorrect and that this should never have happened.

It has never happened to any of my candidates since and I’ve not heard of problems elsewhere.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Pete. So in the workplace is it safe to say ropes are a thing of the past?

So in the workplace is it safe to say ropes are a thing of the past?

Absolutely not! I was referring to Mod 4 test. Ropes are still used in some places. Straps are used more commonly though. Perfectly possible to go through an entire driving career without touching ropes. I wouldn’t worry about them unless you need to know. In which case, 5 minutes tuition and 30 minutes practice (repeated now and then if not in frequent use) will get it sorted.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

So in the workplace is it safe to say ropes are a thing of the past?

Absolutely not! I was referring to Mod 4 test. Ropes are still used in some places. Straps are used more commonly though. Perfectly possible to go through an entire driving career without touching ropes. I wouldn’t worry about them unless you need to know. In which case, 5 minutes tuition and 30 minutes practice (repeated now and then if not in frequent use) will get it sorted.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Great, cheers :smiley:

My 9 year old daughter has a Kindle Fire, and has downloaded a free app, with all kinds of knots, step by step, a free APP and a piece of rope keeps her busy for hours, it does have a DOLLY on it too, im very impressed with it , not sure if there are apps for phones the same as that, definately worth a look…

Well I passed today with a mark of 90/100 so really pleased with the result.

If I can take one thing away from it, it is to actually perform all the checks you are talking about and also make sure you aren’t looking at the instructor when doing the checks - look at what you are doing. On a couple of occasions I was reminded it is a practical demonstration.

Also take your time and walk the vehicle metre by metre, even if you are unsure whether to mention something do it anyway.

Class 2 training and test next week - the next hurdle!

Luke