CPC Dates - Sorry if its been done before - but ime lazy

Ok - we all have learnt (I think) that “aquired” drivers have to get 35 hours DCPC training prior to 10 Sept 2014 - then the next target date is 10 Sept 2019.

What about new drivers who have had to do the inital qualification? how does this fit in to these dates, or do they have to do it to their dates individually?

tar

They are trained up until 2014, which we have on grandfather rights. They have to complete another 35 hrs by 2019 ready for the next period afaik. I sit here awaiting correction

I heard new drivers dcpc is valid until 2019 … you just fall into line with other drivers after 2014

Not being as lazy as I was so just looked up the following

"Periodic training for new drivers

Once a new driver has completed all four inital training modules and gained their DQC they have five years to complete 35 hours of periodic training"

So there will be drivers on the road earning a living after 10 Sept 2014 that do not hold a driver cpc card ■■?

Jenson Button:
Not being as lazy as I was so just looked up the following

"Periodic training for new drivers

Once a new driver has completed all four inital training modules and gained their DQC they have five years to complete 35 hours of periodic training"

So there will be drivers on the road earning a living after 10 Sept 2014 that do not hold a driver cpc card ■■?

How do you work that one out?

New drivers pass modules two and four and get the DQC (Driver qualification card) which is valid for five years and is also the Driver CPC (dunno why they had to give the same thing two names).

During that five year, they then have to do 35 hours of training, which, if completed, gives then a Driver CPC/DQC for another five years after the expiry of their first card.

Continue until retirement.

GasGas:
New drivers pass modules two and four and get the DQC (Driver qualification card) which is valid for five years and is also the Driver CPC (dunno why they had to give the same thing two names).

During that five year, they then have to do 35 hours of training, which, if completed, gives then a Driver CPC/DQC for another five years after the expiry of their first card.

Continue until retirement.

This ↑

No-one will legally be driving lorries commercially after September 2014 without having done the DCPC.

So a new driver can after taking :-

Module 1. The theory test - multipe choice and hazard perception (£45.00)
Module 2. Case Study - multi choice, multi response, hot spots ? and audio (£30.00)
Module 3. Practical Driving Test - 30 min driven (£105.00)
Module 4. Practical Driver Test - 30 mins loading a vehicle and safty rules (55.00)

gets 5 years before he has to get his 35 hours in.

So you can be legal to earn a living for 5 years on the back of an extra £85.00 with little/no experiance- yet lads that passed (and would have paid for their test which I am assuming would have cost circa £150 at today’s value when they took it) and have EXPERIANCE have to fork our nigh on £350 quid to be the same.

This gets more bizzare the more i go into it

(edited cause my maffs were rong!)

Jenson Button:
So a new driver can after taking :-

Module 1. The theory test - multipe choice and hazard perception (£45.00)
Module 2. Case Study - multi choice, multi response, hot spots ? and audio (£30.00)
Module 3. Practical Driving Test - 30 min driven (£105.00)
Module 4. Practical Driver Test - 30 mins loading a vehicle and safty rules (55.00)

gets 5 years before he has to get his 35 hours in.

So you can be legal to earn a living for 5 years on the back of an extra £85.00 with little/no experiance- yet lads that passed (and would have paid for their test which I am assuming would have cost circa £150 at today’s value when they took it) and have EXPERIANCE have to fork our nigh on £350 quid to be the same.

This gets more bizzare the more i go into it

(edited cause my maffs were rong!)

It’s not just your maths that’s wrong it’s your whole way of thinking that’s wrong.

Those of us that have grandfather rights get the first 5 years free, that’s why we have until 2013/2014 to do the 35 hours training.

No mate, he then has the five years after gaining his qualification card to do 35 hours of approved training.

It works like this

Gain qualification by examination (mods 2 & 4). Card issued

Card is valid for 5 years from date of issue: five years in which to do the first 35 hours of training.

End of first five year period: If you’ve done your 35 hours of training, then the next card is issued.

Do another 35 hours over the next five years.

Repeat.

You could if you wished do 35 hours of training in the first week after you’d got your first Driver CPC card and that would qualify you for almost 10 years.

However, given that case law and legislative changes mean what you learned might go out of date, you’d probably be wise to spread it out a bit.

I’m not a truck driver, but if I was, I think I would organise my training so I had an update every year, and I’d probably choose drivers hours and tachographs as the topic unless I had some other specific training need like quarry card, ADR or forklifts, in which case I’d choose a course that was JAUPT-approved and led to the specific qualification.

That said, I know a bloke who was sent on a first-aid DCPC course by his boss, and said it was a waste of time.

The next week his granddaughter fell down stairs, and stopped breathing.

He remembered enough waste of time first aid to administer CPR, and save her life.

So,it was probably the most useful seven hours he’d spent in a while…

I understand that grandfather drivers have until 2013/2014 to obain 35 hours, which allows them to drive until 2019.

What I do not understand is new qualified drivers - are we saying that they have 5 years from them taking module 1 through 4 (basically their drving tests) BEFORE they have to do there 35 hours? or do they have to do 35 hours IMMEDIATLY that they pass their test before they are allowed to driver commercially■■? :confused:

Thanks gas-gas - think we cross posted

I think its still bizzare though.

Ok then - what happens if you loose your vocational licence and have to re-take you HGV test - where does that leave you? only ask as my dads mate was a stupid ■■■ t and lost his licence through a few too many pops.

Will he have 5 years to get his cpc training after re-taking his test or will he still have to do it by 2014 ■■? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Neither, Jason!

They can drive for five years after passing mods 2 & 4. During this time they need to do 35 hours of training so they can still drive after the first five years have expired.

Pass test: drive and do training for five years: drive and do training for five year etc.

The training you do in the first five years entitles you to drive for the next five and so on.

Drivers who held a licence when the first five year cycle started have to do 35 hours in that first cycle.

I’d imagine that if he lost his licence and has to take a retest, then he will have to pass all four modules.

If he was just banned then, once his car ban has expired, he has to apply to the traffic commissioner for the return of his vocational (truck) licence.

Initial driver CPC
The cost for module 2 is £35
The cost for module 4 can be as high as £300 because the instructor and lorry has to be hired to do it
I think whoever got £85 has only considered the actual DSA test fees !!

If a driver was to lose their LGV entitlement for say a year during the time the DQC is valid then they do not have to retake the dcpc
The licence and the DQC (DCPC) are seperate issues

GasGas has the correct answer for the dcpc procedures