CPC Costs

Still looking vaguely at doing it, was wondering if I could collect some info from you on what your pass cost you…

I tend to do quite well when left to just read and get on with it, tend to absorb information fairly well. Might as well put it to good use. So would rather not pay over the odds for stuff I wont benefit from.

Found this…

amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI … ROKL5A1OLE

Thats half the price of the most basic Friendberry package.

So how do you know what angle to approach this kind of thing from, on a definate budget, but want the material to be at least half decent so I can have a good crack at passing the thing.

What do people recommend from here?
and what did you pay to do yours (excluding exams)?

I used this chap
Graham Lewsey cpc home study courses oxfordshire 01993 843967
I used him for national and international. I cant remeber how much he was but I know one of them cost £75 !

I borrowed a copy of the David Lowe book and the exams cost me £120 all in for modules 1, 2 and 4 (to get the Freight National certificate).

Paul

repton:
I borrowed a copy of the David Lowe book and the exams cost me £120 all in for modules 1, 2 and 4 (to get the Freight National certificate).

Paul

How would you rate the book?

I’m looking at both this one and the one in the link in the first post and there seems to be a vast difference in price. Does the Lowe book contain everything you need? or is it worth paying the extra for the cpc centre version?

I don’t know how much extra is in the other book to which you refer but reading the David Lowe book cover to cover once and doing the example questions at the back was enough to get me through all 3 exams first time round so combined with what I already knew it obviously had enough in it to get me through.

Paul

As mentioned give Graham Lewesey a call. He runs courses at Enstone. His material is not the prettiest but its effective.

I am in Heyford, so send me a pm if I can be of any more help.

The other book is 60+ sterling :confused: so quite a bit more than the Lowe version. Is the international part included in the book?

I understand the next exams are in September, how do you go about registering for them?

Cheers for the replies,
Andrew :sunglasses:

Andy Rich:
I understand the next exams are in September, how do you go about registering for them?

Hi Andy, I’d suggest that you find an OCR approved exam centre in your area.

It’ll probably be a place that offers CPC classroom training, so all you need to do is ask them how much they’ll charge for you to sit the exams.

The exam marking fees are set by OCR, but I’d suggest that the ‘admin’ fee can be quite different sometims. :wink:

Thanks for the advice, been looking at the OCR website and the fees listed for the national part come to around 73 pounds so it’ll be interesting to see how much the exam centre admin fees will be on top :confused:

Andy Rich:
How would you rate the book?

I

Tough going! As tough as anything you’d find doing a university course. I also bought the “1001 questions” book by Lowe, which I’d say was essential. Mind you, I still have to pass unit 4 so I’m not done yet…

Andy Rich:
it’ll be interesting to see how much the exam centre admin fees will be on top :confused:

Where I sat mine charged 40+VAT admin fee, bringing the total cost to about £120.

Paul

Dr Dubya:
Tough going! As tough as anything you’d find doing a university course.

I’m not so sure about that to be honest. They reckon it to be to a similar level as A-Levels, and having done both A-Levels and a Degree I think I’m inclined to agree.

Paul

repton:

Dr Dubya:

I’m not so sure about that to be honest. They reckon it to be to a similar level as A-Levels, and having done both A-Levels and a Degree I think I’m inclined to agree.

Paul

That might depend on which kind of A-level/degree studies we’re talking about; traditional or modern.

Considering the breadth of subjects covered in Lowe’s book and the spoon-fed modular basis of modern degree and A-level studies, I’m fairly confident that the majority of students in UK universities today, if given Lowe’s book and told to self-study for the CPC exams, would not fare very well. Certainly there were very, very few students I encountered during my time teaching in two different UK universities who would not have baulked at the task. These days, when undergraduates fail an exam, they blame their lecturers.

I bought a set of student notes from EOS Training for my International CPC.
www.eostraining.com
Everything you need to know in order to pass your exam is in these notes, and they are often used by training schools. As they were when I did my national course.
I sat my exam at the RTITB in Telford where I paid around £25 plus the exam fee.

Hope it helps.

Dr Dubya:

repton:

Dr Dubya:

Paul

That might depend on which kind of A-level/degree studies we’re talking about; traditional or modern.

Considering the breadth of subjects covered in Lowe’s book and the spoon-fed modular basis of modern degree and A-level studies, I’m fairly confident that the majority of students in UK universities today, if given Lowe’s book and told to self-study for the CPC exams, would not fare very well. Certainly there were very, very few students I encountered during my time teaching in two different UK universities who would not have baulked at the task. These days, when undergraduates fail an exam, they blame their lecturers.

I only graduated from university last year so I guess I’ll find out in September when I sit the CPC exams whether I’m up to it or not :laughing: If I’m not then I’ll be looking for somebody to blame… :wink:

repton:

Dr Dubya:

Paul

they said that when I did mine (2001) but it was nothing like my daughters A level work in 2007 :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

maybe it’s changed :laughing:

I got both of the David Lowe books, used the study manual first and then tested myself ten questions at a time with the 1001 questions and answers, once i reached 8/10 in each section I’d move on.

Passed all three modules in one sitting, the exam board usually put up two test papers before the exams and one of these will actually be the one you sit.

Best of luck
TP

I studied both CPC while doing a night trunk to Dunstable. I bought David Lowes book and just read that and did the example tests in the back.

I booked the CPC exam at a local school but still had to pay the training school a fee for admin :exclamation:

I think Robbies Dad used the same book cos I dont remember him giving me it back :smiley:

Andy Rich:

Dr Dubya:

repton:

Dr Dubya:

Paul

I only graduated from university last year so I guess I’ll find out in September when I sit the CPC exams whether I’m up to it or not :lol: If I’m not then I’ll be looking for somebody to blame… :wink:

The CPC equates to an A level IAW the National Framework of Qualifications.

Whilst the Open University (OU) in my experience counts random stuff scrawled upon a page into an exam score, the OCR are noticably more pedantic and in comparison they draw few similarities. Their marking ethos indicates that they are not there to be one’s friend…though I’d be keen to learn how foreign/EU ‘equivalent’ exams are marked, (A contentious issue perhaps, but a CPC instructor mentioned to me in Dec 2008 that ‘…the Portuguese grant an exam pass based on little more than attending the exam…’).

Having failed Pt. 4 twice I’m staying a wheel monkey to enjoy the pursit of an OU degree - it’s certainly more enjoyable than sticking wasps in tender places with the OCR pedantry and the office has nicer scenery.