CPC Conversion

Evening all,

I have a CPC card for PCV. What is the difference between Large Goods CPC Conversion/Large Goods CPC? Do I still need to do a practical test (mod 4) to get an updated CPC card with Cat C on it?

Thanks in advance.

Yes you will still need to do a Module 2 and 4 to drive lorries professionally.

It is along the same principles as the PCV one. Drugs/Immigants checks. Vehicle walkaround check. Load restraint. (Make sure your trainer has a demonstration trolley so you can practice the load restraint questions)

Best of luck :wink:

ryan86uk:
Evening all,

I have a CPC card for PCV. What is the difference between Large Goods CPC Conversion/Large Goods CPC? Do I still need to do a practical test (mod 4) to get an updated CPC card with Cat C on it?

Thanks in advance.

This gets interesting (using current DSA rules) if you pass initial LGV dcpc module 4 (as well as the actual LGV test)

You currently have a DQC expiry dated 09/09/2018 (PCV)

Pass the last of all LGV modules on (example) 02/11/2012

You will get a new DQC issued with an expiry date for both PCV & LGV of (get this) 01/11/2022 - no, that is not an error

The DSA say that passing the initial LGV dcpc gets a DQC expiry dated 01/11/2017 but then as you have taken all 35 hours of dcpc periodic training before the current PCV expiry date of 09/09/2013 you get those 5 years added to it … nice :smiley:

The upside, if you can call it that, is that no more periodic dcpc training will count until after 01/11/2017 because periodic training can only count if within the 5 years leading up to the expiry date on the DQC

Dean,
what about the other way around?
I have Class 2 and DCPC (LGV) from grandfather rights. (But I could easily do my 35 hours this year!)
If I pass a Cat D test, will I need to do a PCV DCPC Module 2 and 4 before I can drive a bus for money?

Cheers,
LandyLad

LandyLad:
Dean,
what about the other way around?
I have Class 2 and DCPC (LGV) from grandfather rights. (But I could easily do my 35 hours this year!)
If I pass a Cat D test, will I need to do a PCV DCPC Module 2 and 4 before I can drive a bus for money?

Cheers,
LandyLad

Yes

LandyLad:

As has been said, yes, you will need to do PCV initial DCPC - PCVÂ Module 2 and PCVÂ Module 4.

The rules are fairly straightforward. Initial DCPC is different for LGVÂ and PCV - each has their own Module 2 and Module 4. You must either have ‘acquired rights’ or pass the tests before driving the relevant categories commercially.

Periodic DCPC counts towards LGVÂ and PCV, so if you have both LGVÂ and PCVÂ DCPC, you only have to do one set of 35 hours every five years.

As ROGÂ says, strange things usually happen with expiry dates when you gain the second initial DCPC and complete 35 hours of periodic training - though it is in the driver’s favour. The rules aim to align the expiry dates of LGV and PCVÂ DCPC after the first periodic training cycle is completed, so it is clear when you have to do your periodic training.

The important thing to remember if you get one of these long dated DQCs is that periodic training only counts in the five years before expiry. If you have a DQC that expires on 01/11/2022, the earliest any periodic training can count is 02/11/2017. Any periodic training before that date is a waste of money - if, for example, you need to renew an ADR certificate, there’s no point paying the DCPC upload fee, as it won’t count for anything.