CPC CONFUSION

Bit confused here,I have category C1 C1E D1 D1E on my license as I have had my license since 1988 so have grandfather rights to these,I have tried to make sense of the CPC rules but still not sure if I only need periodic CPC or initial driver training ■■?
Advice please Shaun

If you were looking to do your C licence then you could choose either route, module 3 is the driving test on the initial CPC.

If you are just looking for a CPC for the categories that you have got I think you would just have to go down the route of periodic.

I may of course be talking absolute ■■■■■■■■ in which case I apologise and in such case a more senior / non retarded member will be able to set me straight!

Yes I plan to take my cat C test

Shaunb:
Bit confused here,I have category C1 C1E D1 D1E on my license as I have had my license since 1988 so have grandfather rights to these,I have tried to make sense of the CPC rules but still not sure if I only need periodic CPC or initial driver training ■■?
Advice please Shaun

Assuming that you haven’t yet done any DCPC training you can choose whether to do the initial Driver CPC modules 2 and 4 or you can do 35 hours periodic training, you’re in a situation where you can choose whether to do the periodic training or the initial mods 2 and 4.
If you choose to do mods 2 and 4 you will have to do 2 tests which can be failed.
If you choose to do the periodic training you will need to do 35 hour training for which there is no test so no chance of failing.

If you intend to upgrade your licence to cat C you may be able to find a training company who’s cat C training is approved by JAUPT so will count towards the periodic training.

In that case I would think that you can do your theory and hazard perception, mod 2 test and then mod 4 to gain your CPC or you can do the 35 hour route. As you will have had acquired rights previously you will need to contact the DVSA I believe kf this is the route you wish to take. Rog should be able to explain it better!

No need to explain better - that’s it!

But, as Tachograph said, find a trainer who is able to provide driver cpc credits for your driver training and you’ll save time and some money.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Think I know a guy that does that Peter! :wink:

NickW88:
Think I know a guy that does that Peter! :wink:

I’m not sure but I think I may to :laughing:

Out of interest how many hours periodic training can be gained from cat C training ?

I used to know this but I can’t think now, not sure on the number of hours, could be something daft like 14, but 2 days training must have a break of no more than 12 hours In between?

tachograph:
Out of interest how many hours periodic training can be gained from cat C training ?

On a basic course over 5 days with test on day 5 …
14 hours if 1 to 1 half days
28 hours if 2 to 1 full days

It all depends how it’s booked. Many of our courses have the weekend “off” which can mean that it could be down to just 7 hours. But when it’s important to get the cpc hours out of a course, it’s booked differently and will achieve 14 hours. Same for CE.

eg. someone this last weekend trained CE 7 hours Sat and 7 hours Sun, passed with 1 minor Monday am. Got 14 hours cpc into the bargain.

So all I am pointing out is that the customer must make it clear if they are wanting to achieve cpc hours from their training so that it can be arranged accordingly. Some trainers will fiddle the hours to make it right. Sorry, I don’t do that.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks guys it’s slowly sinking in,I think :smiley:

I know the whole CPC thing can be really confusing at first, but what they’re saying is you can get your class 2 by either:

Option 1:

• Theory test & hazard perception test for HGVs (aka. CPC module 1a and 1b)
  • Case studies test (aka CPC module 2)
  • Practical driving test (aka CPC module 3)
  • Practical demo test (aka CPC module 4)

Option 2:

• 35 hours of CPC training in a classroom (no tests)

Both options can you the class 2 driving qualification for life and the all important CPC qualification otherwise known as your DCPQ card which you need to drive commercially. They also both give you 5 years of CPC / DCPQ.

PS: Stick with these guys and gals as I learned everything about this stuff from them…I just have OCD for bullet points. :slight_smile:

Option 2:

• 35 hours of CPC training in a classroom (no tests)

The driver training can qualify for cpc hours as previously mentioned. We have many candidates who achieve 14 hrs from CAT C, the same from CE then add a tacho course (essential) which completes the 35 hours. So it can be done with minimal classroom time.

Worth noting that Trucknet users who use my centre for a full C or CE course get their cpc FREE. (That’s in addition to the 10% discount).

Another alternative (which is still classroom) is ADR which can achieve 28 hrs and then add a tacho course. Result - 35hrs and a very handy additional qualification.

If in doubt, pm me with current licence details and I’ll give a definitive answer. There are many variations and it’s little wonder there’s confusion.

Pete