CPC Confusion

Just passed Cat C, what do I need to complete CPC? I am 48 and passed my original driving test in 1984.
If I completed ADR training would it go towards my CPC hours? I was planning on taking this route but now I am not sure what I need to do. :confused:

MickyB666:
Just passed Cat C, what do I need to complete CPC? I am 48 and passed my original driving test in 1984.
If I completed ADR training would it go towards my CPC hours? I was planning on taking this route but now I am not sure what I need to do. :confused:

I’d just posted most of this in your category C pass thread (well done) where you asked all but the ADR part of the question.

Assuming you have not lost the full C1 entitlement you would have had from your car licence pass prior to 1997 (such as a past disqualification), you can either do 35 hours periodic training or take the new option of acquiring your first LGV driver CPC by taking the Module 2 and Module 4 tests.

If the centre you did your category C training with was registered for driver CPC, you may still be able to get some 7 hour blocks of periodic training credited for that training, though you will likely have to pay the upload fee. If you are thinking of taking the 35 hours option, it’s worth checking with the centre. If you’re going to take Modules 2 and 4, forget about those hours, as I am fairly certain any periodic training undertaken before your Module 4 pass will not count.

If you intend taking some category CE training fairly soon at a driver CPC registered centre, you may be very close to 35 hours. If arranged with driver CPC hours in mind, you can often get 14 hours for a C course, 14 hours for a CE course and you would then need to take a 7 hours course on something useful (tachographs and drivers hours, perhaps) to get your CPC.

The most common form of initial ADR training is Core, all Classes other than 1 (explosives) and 7 (radioactive) and the Other than Tanks Mode. That usually gives you 21 hours if you take the training at a driver CPC registered centre and pay the upload fee. If you take the Tanks Mode as well, that gives you a further 7 hours, though dieseldave’s usual advice is that Tanks is a relatively niche part of ADR work and new drivers are unlikely to get ADR Tanks work. This means that the extra money spent on Tanks may be a waste - but it’s your decision.

The reason for omitting Classes 1 and 7 is that each requires a dedicated one day course that few centres run. Very few people transport material in these classes, so it’s only worth taking these courses if know you need the Class. You can add Classes to an existing ADR certificate later on.

djw:
I’d just posted most of this in your category C pass thread (well done) where you asked all but the ADR part of the question.

Thanks for the super quick reply, I decided to make a new post as I thought the original question might be missed where it was originally.

The rules and reg’s surrounding LGV’s are pretty straight forward then :unamused: :laughing:

I replied to the other post as well.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
I replied to the other post as well.

You are a sharp lot - I’ll go back there :laughing:

Moderators please feel free to delete these posts as I have obtained the answers on my earlier post here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=127272

If you ask Peter Smythe Transport Training to credit the hours from your C course (and pay the fee, claiming the 10% discount), as well as finding out how many hours your CE course will entitle you to if you pay the upload fee, you may well find yourself close to the 35 hours needed for your driver CPC.

It’s a question of strategy, really, especially if you are serious about taking an initial ADR course. Initial ADR gives you a large block of driver CPC hours, but this might be a problem as I believe any hours credited at the same time as you reach 35 hours are lost. If this understanding is correct and you use ADR to complete the 35 hours you need for your first driver CPC, you might waste many of the hours from the ADR course.

If you can get a total of 21 or 28 hours from your C and CE courses, it might be better to take one or two 7 hour classroom courses to reach the 35 needed (maybe PSTT can do you some sort of deal - as a new driver you may find courses on topics like tachographs and drivers hours rules useful). If you wait to take the ADR course until you’ve got your 5 year CPC card, the hours from the ADR course will get you much of the way to the 35 hours needed to extend your CPC for a further 5 years.

MickyB666:
Moderators please feel free to delete these posts as I have obtained the answers on my earlier post here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=127272

Considering the information I’ve posted here, I think sorting it out will either need the moderators to combine both threads or move some information from the other thread to this one.

Sorry for the complication.

Just to clarify: get your 35 hours completed (the easy way is to get credits from C and CE - but move quickly for the C credits otherwise they are lost for ever). Once you have completed your 35 hours you will then have your qualification for 5 years. During the 5 years - that is at ANY point in the 5 years - you need to complete a further 35 hours. In other words, you could get the C and CE credits, do a tacho course and maybe another to complete 35 hours. Having done that, do your ADR and you’ll get another lump. I believe that’s normally 21 hours (I don’t have anything to do with ADR so a bit sketchy). Then complete another 14 hours within the 5 year period and that will extend your qualification to 2025 if it’s completed during 2015.

Hope that makes sense. I suggest your first call should be to my office and get those credits sorted. Make sure you get your 10% discount.

Peter Smythe:
Just to clarify: get your 35 hours completed (the easy way is to get credits from C and CE - but move quickly for the C credits otherwise they are lost for ever). Once you have completed your 35 hours you will then have your qualification for 5 years. During the 5 years - that is at ANY point in the 5 years - you need to complete a further 35 hours. In other words, you could get the C and CE credits, do a tacho course and maybe another to complete 35 hours. Having done that, do your ADR and you’ll get another lump. I believe that’s normally 21 hours (I don’t have anything to do with ADR so a bit sketchy). Then complete another 14 hours within the 5 year period and that will extend your qualification to 2025 if it’s completed during 2015.

We’re thinking the same way, Peter.

Assuming the initial ADR course is the most common version (Core, all Classes other than 1 and 7, and the Other than Tanks Mode), it will almost certainly be worth 21 hours of driver CPC credit - or 28 hours if the Tanks Mode is taken as well.

My concern was what happens if Micky claims the credits from the C and CE courses, then takes ADR next. I think the credit from the ADR course has to be uploaded in one lump, which will likely take him way past the 35 hours he needs for his CPC card. I’m pretty sure the accumulated hours reset to zero, meaning you cannot carry over any spare hours from the ADR course to the next block of 35 hours in 5 years. If that is correct, it would seem better to follow the suggestion that both you and I have made - complete the initial 35 hours with 7 hour courses. Once the CPC card is issued, he can start the next block of 35 hours with the ADR course.

If a driver did this to get a DQC …
14 hours in week 1
28 hours in week 2
14 hours in week 3

then they will end up with a DQC expiry dated 2020 with 21 towards the next DQC

If they then did 14 hours in week 4 they would be issued with a new DQC expiry dated 2025

No more hours will count until 2020 if the above was done

OK just phoned the office, to qualify for CPC hours you have to do 7 hours of continuous driving within a 24 hour period, because the four day Cat C training schedule I have just completed included a weekend break I only qualify for 7 hours towards my CPC hours, my scheduled four day Cat C+E training is also split so I qualify for another 7 hours from that… … so from Cat C and Cat C+E I will have a total of 14 hours to put towards my CPC hours.

So I have 21 hours ( 3 x 7 hours) to do in order to complete CPC, what would be the best way to go about that? The way I am thinking is that if I can get ADR, Hiab or any other LGV related courses accredited towards my CPC hours then I might as well go down that route and gain another qualification along the way…I don’t mind if I go over the 35 hours in order to gain the additional qualifications.

MickyB666:
OK just phoned the office, to qualify for CPC hours you have to do 7 hours of continuous driving within a 24 hour period, because the four day Cat C training schedule I have just completed included a weekend break I only qualify for 7 hours towards my CPC hours, my scheduled four day Cat C+E training is also split so I qualify for another 7 hours from that… … so from Cat C and Cat C+E I will have a total of 14 hours to put towards my CPC hours.

So I have 21 hours ( 3 x 7 hours) to do in order to complete CPC, what would be the best way to go about that? The way I am thinking is that if I can get ADR, Hiab or any other LGV related courses accredited towards my CPC hours then I might as well go down that route and gain another qualification along the way…I don’t mind if I go over the 35 hours in order to gain the additional qualifications.

I suppose it might depend on what you think you need to learn. If you did a basic ADR packages course you’d get the remaining 21 hours DCPC but then might go into the workplace with no tachograph knowledge and find it difficult.

Yes it is wise to get some kind of further qualification AND the CPC hours (ADR, HIAB etc), but depending on you and your knowledge you might benefit from a decent DCPC course instead.

shep532:
I suppose it might depend on what you think you need to learn. If you did a basic ADR packages course you’d get the remaining 21 hours DCPC but then might go into the workplace with no tachograph knowledge and find it difficult.

There is a lot of sense in these two sentences.

Micky - I’d claim the 7 hours for your C course and the 7 hours for your CE course. If you’re determined to do ADR, I’d then do an initial ADR course without Tanks - that’s 21 hours and will give you your driver CPC for 5 years.

I would also take a 7 hours tachograph and working hours course, which will give you 7 hours towards your next lot of 35 hours and will be invaluable when you start driving commercially. If you’re near Peter’s office, you could do this module with Peter Smythe Transport Training, though pretty much every driver CPC training provider runs a one day tachograph and working hours course.

Talking of tachographs, don’t forget you need to apply for a digital tachograph driver card if you don’t already have one.

If you are thinking of doing even more training, that will also go towards your next lot of 35 hours (assuming you choose a registered provider and pay the upload fee).

With lorry loader cranes (Hiab), you need to find out what the preferred card issuer and attachments are for the sort of work you want to do. You should also make sure that any training you take includes remote control. There’s no point having a CITB lorry loader operator card if the work you want to apply for needs an ALLMI lorry loader operator card for up to 20tm using hook and brick grab attachments that is endorsed for remote control (as may be needed for work with a builders merchant).

Thanks for all the great advise, I am booked in for Cat C+E training at the end of July, ideally I would like to complete CPC before this date so I am good to go once I have passed Cat C+E (hopefully first time), due to work commitments the earliest date I could start CPC training will be 13.07.15. Will I need to send off my licence to get CPC accredited? It is important as I will obviously need my licence back for C+E training.
I already have my Digital Tacho card so once I have my licence and DQC I am good to go… … … am I?

When you complete 35 hours of training, your Driver Qualification Card will be sent automatically to the address on your driving licence.

I have done some research and this would be a possible way that I could go, the training dates match my requirements and it is local enough. Picking up on the comments made by ROG would I be right in thinking that if I complete this in the order shown it would give me CPC until 2025…

7 hours from Cat C training

21 hours from core ADR training

35 hours from 5 Day CPC Training

7 hours from Cat C+E training

Link to training provider s-gttl.co.uk/services/driver-cpc … pc-course/