Cpc case study advice

Hello!
I’ve read The DSA’s Official Guide to Driving Goods Vehicles,Tthe Highway Code, Traffic Signs (all on the recommended list to buy and study - I’ve also subscribed to theory4all for the C.P.C case study practise, but I feel that I lack confidence in knowing I’ve studied everything I’ll need - I felt when studying for my theory test that at least while I had both the book and cd rom to practise and learn the C.P.C has nothing of the sort ( I know we’re all in the same boat I junt wondered if anyone else felt the same?) the theory4all has made me uneasy because I’ve found a question (the one I’ve spotted wonder if there’s any others) with answers not matching up to things clearly stated in The Official DSA Guide to Driving Goods Vehicles, such as: there’s a question asking what mode the tacho should be in while you’re doing your daily walk-round checks, now it clearly states in the book “Under ‘other work’ you should include time spent on vehicle daily walk-round checks”, theory4all say the answer is Periods of Availability - I’ve emailed them to point this out (awaiting reply) and if I got such a question on my test I would answer using what I’ve learnt from the DSA material, I hate not having a good idea of what’s needed.
Anyway my test is booked for tomorrow, I passed the theory and hazard first times and tomorrow will be my first attempt at C.P.C - so I hope I’m well prepared enough.
I’ve been phoning round for prices to do the class C training & test and so far I’ve got 2 prices, one was £795 - that included three days training and the test, but didn’t include CPC mod.4 training or test. (not all that happy about assessment drives)

The other price I’ve had was £998 - that included three days training and test on 4th day also included CPC mod.4 training and test.(more than happy to do assessment drives @ £30+ VAT an hour) and fair play I did ask if they did assessment drives and I was told “I would in no way tell you that you need one and make you throw your money away as most people do it in the 3 days but if you want to do an assessment drive first then that’s fine” - that put me more at ease of flexibility than the first - (rightly or wrongly I haven’t yet decided!) - found out for the assessment I would meet the chap at the industrial estate and have a few go’s round there and maybe a run along the main road.
I fancy doing an assessment drive (am still saving up for the total amount) but maybe that could prepare me a bit better for the actual course, I realise an hour or two isn’t much but it’s the eye opener of seeing the difference in driving the lorry compared with a car and try and instil the good habits and as I read on one of the posts here dip the rear view mirror - I’ve never ever been happy reversing using rear view and looking through back window I’ve always used my mirrors that’s what I’m comfortable with so I’m hoping that’ll be on my side (although when driving classic cars with no door mirrors :unamused: )
Anyway seriously now I’ll stop the rant, I’d be glad of any :arrow_right: positive feedback.

Getting an assessment drive is a good idea even if it means forking out a little cash for it

The average course is over 5 days with test on day 5
This is done over 5 days on either 1 to 1 half days or 2 to 1 all day
NEVER do 1 to 1 all day as the brain cannot cope with it in the greater majority of cases

Mod 4 training & test should be about the £200 mark I think

Always visit the school before parting with any money

The DSA themselves give out false info in the theory book - on one question it sates that a driver can only do 3 reduced daily rests PER WEEK when the correct answer (not listed) is 3 BETWEEN WEEKLY RESTS

I felt very uneasy going into the CPC case studies. Purely because I didn’t know how it all worked.

With the Theory and HPT I knew what to expect as I had done my car theory plus I had the DVD with the exact same set-up as the DSA test.

However once I got into the case studies I realised I was worrying over nothing its really no big deal mate.

It is basically just the theory test but the questions and answers are laid out differently. Plus you can read the text and refer back to it with the answers to see what fits.

Like the theory it is pretty much common sense.

I see you mentioned you had the theory book and the CD ROM for your theory, does the book provide much more than the rom and is it worth buying if you already have the cd?

Sam Millar:
I see you mentioned you had the theory book and the CD ROM for your theory, does the book provide much more than the rom and is it worth buying if you already have the cd?

I had both and I don’t regret buying either. they both have their perks. I did a couple of the PC every day (at least 2 tests) and I’d relax on the sofa or while in bed reading the book. I felt they complimented each other.

I imagine this is the correct one? amazon.co.uk/Official-Theory … h__title_2

Yeah you just need to make sure its an up-to-date version :smiley: which that one is (2011)

My old man tried to give me an old theory book he had from around 2001 lol

Sam Millar:

Hey!
I liked having both as well, I used a bookmark to cover one side of the page (the answers) while testing myself - I know lots of people use the book and get someone else to test them - cd rom is better for that but the book is handy if you just want to go over something yourself however - if you’re a person that’s happier in front of your pc / laptop than cradling a book (as many are) then you aren’t really missing out on anything as the cd rom lets you see your progress and areas you need to study - and there isn’t anything extra (well I haven’t spotted anything anyway) in the book, so if money is in short supply it would be better put towards your savings !! (Good luck with your funding - what stage are you on now?)

Update on training here, just been on the phone to Black Water Training, 5 days intensive training, test, C.P.C mod 4 all for £999 (I’ve already done the medical, got the provisional, done my multiple choice theory, hazard perception and case study C.P>C booked for tomorrow), - I reckon I’ll go for that as I only have to travel 16 miles (as it looks at the moment) - trying to decide what to do, this is the best value for money I’ve been able to find - anyone got any experience or dealings with Back Water Training?? (I know who the instructor’s going to be so I fancy giving him a ring before putting my deposit down!)

Wooohoo!!! :laughing:

Sions:

Sam Millar:

Hey!
I liked having both as well, I used a bookmark to cover one side of the page (the answers) while testing myself - I know lots of people use the book and get someone else to test them - cd rom is better for that but the book is handy if you just want to go over something yourself however - if you’re a person that’s happier in front of your pc / laptop than cradling a book (as many are) then you aren’t really missing out on anything as the cd rom lets you see your progress and areas you need to study - and there isn’t anything extra (well I haven’t spotted anything anyway) in the book, so if money is in short supply it would be better put towards your savings !! (Good luck with your funding - what stage are you on now?)

Update on training here, just been on the phone to Black Water Training, 5 days intensive training, test, C.P.C mod 4 all for £999 (I’ve already done the medical, got the provisional, done my multiple choice theory, hazard perception and case study C.P>C booked for tomorrow), - I reckon I’ll go for that as I only have to travel 16 miles (as it looks at the moment) - trying to decide what to do, this is the best value for money I’ve been able to find - anyone got any experience or dealings with Back Water Training?? (I know who the instructor’s going to be so I fancy giving him a ring before putting my deposit down!)

Wooohoo!!! :laughing:

It should all kick off on the 17th October for me so a month tomorrow exactly, which basically only means I have a maximum of 3 signings (Thank god!! sick being looked down the nose at in there!)

Looking forward to reading your progress as you go along and thanks for the help on the book/rom guys.

Sam i found the disc realy realy good mate as you can keep an eye on progress and see sections were you need a little more help,also you can tailour the practice exams to suit , well worth the money mate,keep an eye on ebay sam as i got theory book - cpc book - theory disc for £16.00 plus postage :open_mouth: :wink:

Might be worth considering …
desktopdriving.co.uk/index.php?cPath=52

Right…so about the instructor (who I’ve been trying to get a hold of for weeks anyway and cant get an answer - I’ve left messages on his mobile and no reply…) Well what does this mean :frowning: I’ve got until this evening to decide what to do or the price will go up (well so I’ve been told!) I dont want to rush into something and regret it I would really prefer to speak to the bloke before I sign up for this and I’m a bit worried maybe he’s jacked it in and that’s why he isn’t replying :blush: (he does say leave name & number n ill get back to you) …■■ :confused:

To be honest I shouldn’t have contacted any of these companies because this is weighing on my mind now instead of being able to study. :sigh: If he’s not available I dont know who the next nearest instructor is - might be miles away (which although it isnt a problem being realistic it’ll hike the overall cost so …)

hmph practise it is or that’ll be another waste of money!! :unamused:

Bye for now!

Sions:
Right…so about the instructor (who I’ve been trying to get a hold of for weeks anyway and cant get an answer - I’ve left messages on his mobile and no reply…) Well what does this mean :frowning: I’ve got until this evening to decide what to do or the price will go up (well so I’ve been told!) I dont want to rush into something and regret it I would really prefer to speak to the bloke before I sign up for this and I’m a bit worried maybe he’s jacked it in and that’s why he isn’t replying :blush: (he does say leave name & number n ill get back to you) …■■ :confused: !

Can you go to the school to see them instead of phoning?

For what your getting that does sound like an average price.

My Cat C was £790 and the CPC was £270

So sounds to be a good price. Not getting a call back could be nothing. Anything could have happened i.e. busy, lost phone etc etc.

However the fact you need to make your mind up and pay by tomorrow sounds a bit pushy.

Is it blackWater LGV? Looks like a broker to me?

BlackWater LGV Website:
Black Water LGV is a dedicated training company offering you the best LGV, HGV, PCV lorry and bus driver courses across the UK.

just take it one step at a time and relax a little about each module or if your like me youll be struggling with each one good luck :wink:

LR18-8:

BlackWater LGV Website:
Black Water LGV is a dedicated training company offering you the best LGV, HGV, PCV lorry and bus driver courses across the UK.

It’s a broker - no training vehicles or instructors of their own from what I could tell

ROG:

LR18-8:

BlackWater LGV Website:

It’s a broker - no training vehicles or instructors of their own from what I could tell

Hmm… interesting. :smiley:

I’ve had a look at their website too…

Their picture of a Cat “C” vehicle is actually C+E.
Their picture of a Cat “C+E” vehicle looks a little (6 meters :open_mouth: ) overlength for UK use.

They seem to offer ADR, but they are not on the latest issued SQA list of currently approved ADR providers.

My gut feeling tells me that folks should be very careful.

Sions I think it may be a wise idea to stay clear of BlackWater imo

EDIT: Something seems to click when I hear the name BlackWater LGV. I’m sure I recall them being mentioned on here. Can anyone remember if this was the company that seemed to pop up almost as soon as 1st class trucking went under??

Yay! Passed C.P.C cast studies - 47 / 50! :smiley:

I think I’ll just save some money and see how it goes now - really look into the cost / location / reputation of any trainers before comitting and maybe do the assessment with a local firm for £30+Vat an hour - will be jabbering on here regularly so … prepare yourselves! :slight_smile:

Sions:
Yay! Passed C.P.C cast studies - 47 / 50! :smiley:

Congrats!!! :smiley:

Most assessments are free, did black water tell you there was a charge for an assessment?