Cpc case studies help

Hi there,
My name is scott i passed my class 2 in september and since then i have been trying to pass my cpc test i have now failed it 3 times and that was with revising all the time i revised the whole of the dsa theory test book and a website called drivingtheory4all but i only failed by 5 marks twice and the other one by 1 mark!! Is there any tips you can give to me to help me pass this? I am booked to take it again on the 24th may.

One thing i completely dont understand is the payload and how u work it out, if for example they ask you how much pallets you could load onto a 44tonne lorry :confused:

I think it is just silly questions im getting stuck on but i really want to pass this one if i can so any help would be much appreciated!!

Many thanks

Scott

Heya mate sorry to hear your having troubles, wouldnt worry too much I failed mine aswell before passing. This might help http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/towing-capacity/vehicle/payload1.htm.
With regards to the test just take your time, once you have finished go back and double check all of your answers.
Best of luck on your next go mate.

thanks mate i have just ordered the official dsa guide to driving goods vehicles which has 5 star reviews and the full cpc update so hopefully that will help me aswell :slight_smile:

smith197:
One thing i completely dont understand is the payload and how u work it out, if for example they ask you how much pallets you could load onto a 44tonne lorry :confused:

Hi Scott,

To tackle the payload question, you need to know 3 things:

1.) The weight of the vehicle when it’s not loaded.
(aka: tare weight or kerbside weight or un-laden weight [ULW] )

2.) The maximum weight that the vehicle is legally allowed to weigh when fully loaded.
(aka: Gross Vehicle Weight [GVW] or Maximum Authorised Mass [MAM] )

3.) The weight of the cargo that you will load.

If you subtract the empty weight from the max loaded weight, the answer is the amount of (cargo) weight that the vehicle is allowed to carry. The max cargo weight is known as the ‘payload.’

Depending on the exact terminology used in the questions, the calculation is:

GVW - ULW = (max possible) PAYLOAD.

Can I guess that somewhere in the case study it gives the empty weight of the vehicle, and the weight that the vehicle is allowed to weight when fully loaded, and maybe the weight of the pallet(s) [cargo] to be loaded??

EG:
A vehicle has a GVW of 18 tonnes.
The vehicle weighs 8 tonnes when not loaded.
A (theoretical) palletised load consists of 1 tonne pallets.

How many tonnes (pallets) can this vehicle carry?

ANSWER = 10 X 1 tonne pallets, so the authorised payload for this (theoretical) vehicle = 10 tonnes.

Of course, the payload could be just one item that weighs 10 tonnes, such as a piece of machinery.

:bulb: If the ULW + the PAYLOAD = more than the permitted GVW, then you’ll probably get busted for an overloading offence if you’re required to pull onto a weighbridge for checking by the police/VOSA.

Has this helped??

HgvHgv - many thanks for the website link :slight_smile:

DieselDave- Thanks thats helped alot as it now makes sense. Im preety sure they said 18 tonne kerbsite weight then the gross weight 44 so now i know the payload would of come to 26 :slight_smile: