CPC cancellation

My CPC card runs out at the end of this week and I have had one hell of a time trying to get all my 35 hours sorted as there has been a shortage of available training places in my area (Norfolk) since Sept last year. Finally secured a place in Norwich for my last 2 days for Monday & Tuesday this week. Monday went ok but when we turned up yesterday morning there was a notice on the gate saying that the company was going into lockdown & all future courses were cancelled until further notice :angry:

So with only seven hours left to go, I am effectively stuffed. I tried ringing the DVSA yesterday on 0300 123 9000 only to be told that the relevant department was closed and that they were working from home but were reading e-mails CPCRE@dvsa.gov.uk

Sent an e-mail yesterday asking for either an exemption for the last 7 hours or a credit so that I can carry on driving. I’m not optimistic but I’ll see what happens… :confused: Anybody else in the same situation?

Do you need to work to put food on the table? I suspect that like many of us you do. Now I’m in no way encouraging criminality but if it was me I’d carry on regardless confident that checking DCPC cards will be waaay down on the authorities to do lists.

In all honesty, given that the Government have relaxed the driver hours rule, I think working with a CPC out of date by a few weeks wont cause any issues in the great scheme of things, after all you have COVID19 as proof you were unable to undertake your second day.

If you were stopped and checked and someone was trying to prosecute you I would take it all the way, as a key worker you stayed on the road for the good of the country, not trying to drive without the CPC, no judge in the land would prosecute you using the above evidence.

Carry on and book your second day when the virus has subsided but keep the proof of your attendance on day one.

Murrayminor:
In all honesty, given that the Government have relaxed the driver hours rule, I think working with a CPC out of date by a few weeks wont cause any issues in the great scheme of things, after all you have COVID19 as proof you were unable to undertake your second day.

If you were stopped and checked and someone was trying to prosecute you I would take it all the way, as a key worker you stayed on the road for the good of the country, not trying to drive without the CPC, no judge in the land would prosecute you using the above evidence.

Carry on and book your second day when the virus has subsided but keep the proof of your attendance on day one.

I agree with the above, I couldn’t think anyone would be interested that you’re card is just out of date. Just carry a copy of your training so far and that would cover you. If you’re boss is ok with you still carrying on it be no problem.

The Gov has now allowed remote DCPC training

DVSA has confirmed that classroom delivery of Driver CPC periodic training has been suspended due to the coronavirus outbreak and, as a temporary alternative, it will give approved trainers authorisation to deliver accepted courses remotely via digital platforms.

I would keep an eye out for providers setting up courses soon

I’m the first to put all this dcpc stuff down as pure b/s to keep up appearances,.and I tend to agree with the advice given on the face of it.
However to play devil’s advocate here…what if he’s involved in a bad accident,.a fatality even that he is not even to blame for, with no valid dcpc card. :bulb:
The letter of the law says he should not even have been behind the wheel of a truck,…and please don’t think all this ‘Key workers doing their bit for the country’’ ■■■■■■■■ will carry any weight, cos it won’t…end of.

To o/p I would be cautious if I were you,.and think about where you go from here.
What about trying for a van driver job for the time being to you do get your dcpc.

Rikki-UK:

DVSA has confirmed that classroom delivery of Driver CPC periodic training has been suspended due to the coronavirus outbreak and, as a temporary alternative, it will give approved trainers authorisation to deliver accepted courses remotely via digital platforms.

Re the response I received off the DVSA today, they added that they are currently reviewing other measures they can take to ensure that drivers can continue to work even if they are unable to complete their training.
I emailed them as I don’t hold a current cpc card, but should have one soon when I complete my last 7 hours tomorrow.
They have from the end of the month, extended MOTs on cars, vans and motorcycles for up to 6 months.

OP - where are you based? I might be able to help you

Don’t worry, we’ll be a distance apart :laughing:

Rikki-UK:

Hold on, so now you don’t have to turn up to fall asleep, just logon, off to the pub (well), come back after 7 hours, type “yeah,ok” and you’ve got your hours?