CPC an foreign driving licence

Hi
I passed my C test in Poland in 2004. Now I hold Irish driving licence (exchanged in 2006). I will be moving to UK soon and I will change it for UK one.
Do I need to pass Initial CPC training or I have the “acquired rights” and need only periodic training?
Any help appreciated :slight_smile:

MadRide:
Hi
I passed my C test in Poland in 2004. Now I hold Irish driving licence (exchanged in 2006). I will be moving to UK soon and I will change it for UK one.
Do I need to pass Initial CPC training or I have the “acquired rights” and need only periodic training?

you have an EU licence, which was exchanged if it is a valid licence regonised by the DVLA then you fine but you will still need to get the 35 hours prior to 2014.

all EU states have to do the DCPC so dont matter if it is french austrian etc.

Someone will be along to correct it if I am wrong

+1. The dcpc has to be completed in the state that issued the licence - which sounds as if it will be UK with a licence issued from DVLA.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

ok, so just to sit 35 hours cpc. No initial cpc training with test at the end.
What happens if I upgrade to C+E licence?

MadRide:

Makes no difference to the dcpc if going from C to CE as they are both LGVs

The dcpc refers to LGV and does not make different rules for different LGV categories

If you were to do all the dcpc 35 hours in Ireland on your Irish licence then they will count for all EU countries even if you then exchange the licence for a UK one

You can wait until you exchange to a UK licence and do all 35 hours in the UK

What you cannot do is part of the 35 in one EU state and the rest in another EU state

discoman:

MadRide:
Hi

you have an EU licence, which was exchanged if it is a valid licence regonised by the DVLA then you fine but you will still need to get the 35 hours prior to 2014.

all EU states have to do the DCPC so dont matter if it is french austrian etc.

Someone will be along to correct it if I am wrong

Except the other countries do not need to do it until 2016 :exclamation:

MadRide:

You will stil need to do the 35 hrs

MadRide wrote:

You will stil need to do the 35 hrs

… but, for clarification, you wont have to do anything else. Hope that helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Further to my earlier contribution on this thread, given in good faith, further research has shown a change in regs. This is the quote from the appropriate website which I hope may be of use:

As you are aware, the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) is now a legal requirement for most professional bus, coach and lorry drivers across the European Union who hold an EU or European Economic Area (EEA) driving licence (regardless of their nationality).

On that basis DSA have developed two distinct methods for dealing with drivers for the purposes of Driver CPC and issuing them with their DQC:-

UK licence holders’ Periodic Training should be uploaded onto the Driver CPC Recording and Evidencing System (R &E) and their DQC card will be issued once the required Periodic Training (35 hours within a 5 year period) has been completed.

The Driving Standards Agency (DSA) has put in place a system for those drivers with a non UK licence to obtain a driver qualification card (DQC) in GB. Only those drivers holding such licences, and who have completed part (i.e. at least seven hours) or all of their periodic training in the UK, are eligible to apply.

If a non UK licence holder attends a periodic training course, it’s important that you don’t upload their details onto the recording and evidencing system as the licence number will not be recognised.

In order to obtain a DQC, such drivers will need to complete an application form (DQC1) and send this with their driving licence, D9 (some EU drivers will have this, it is a UK licence counterpart), a passport style photograph, relevant form of ID, training certificates and a translation where necessary. A fee of £25 applies and drivers will need to provide a GB address as the DQC can only be posted to GB postcode areas.

The application form (DQC1) is available from DSA by calling 0300 200 1122 or by sending an email to customer.services@dsa.gsi.gov.uk (putting ‘Driver CPC enquiry’ in the subject field).

Further information can be found at Driver CPC training - GOV.UK

Will drivers and their employer be able to check the number of hours a driver has completed?
Yes, this facility will be available on the Recording & Evidencing System (R&E) in the near future. It will be accessed through the Business Link website www.businesslink.gov.uk./cpc and will require the driver’s driving licence number.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks, it helped a lot :slight_smile:

I was a bit confused after finding an “initial cpc training” for drivers with licence from outside UK.

I’ll be getting a GB licence as it will be easier for everyone and I’ll go for 35 hours cpc in UK.