Coupling

Is it just me? I can’t connect the airlines! I get them nearly home but not quite locked in. I think I’m quite strong but the only way I can do it is to stand right in the centre of the cat walk and use all of my strength. This often means risking getting black grease all over my trousers and I don’t like it.

Is there a simple trick to it which I should know? There was more room on the catwalk when trailers were 40 foot so it wasn’t a problem.

Depending where the connectors are you might need to put your knee in direct line to brace your wrists/elbows against to get some purchase…takes a strong man to do them at a very oblique angle.

Much of the problem is lack of lube…ooer missus… a few drops of lube now and again on the suzies works wonders…see how some blokes struggle for hours with seized clamps, ratchets, pipe connectors etc, yet others whizz through them like a knife through butter…bet you any money you like the easy ones see a bit of lube.

If all else fails pump the brakes to drain all the air out and try connecting then.

Personally i preferred palms with a locking ring, easy peasy.

Oh and keep you suzie lines clean and untangled, working clean usually translates to working easier…there’s nothing worse than the jumbled spiders web of lines plastered in filthy grease that you see on the back of some tractors.

There’s plenty of gyms round the country doing deals at the moment , or a personal trainer perhaps ■■ :laughing:

Several options to try.

Make sure you aren’t trying to connect them with the engine running, makes a difference on some vehicles.

Put the trailer brake on and release the unit park brake, making sure you have properly caught the pin first.

Reduce any excessive ■■■■■■■■■■■■ in the hours prior to coupling up to leave your arms in the best possible condition to perform the task.

Pump the air out of the unit with the brake pedal.

Consider a structured program to build some lean muscle and increase your strength. I’m a Personal Trainer, contact me for competitive rates. :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

Can you not split couple. With the extra room between the unit and trailer it saves you trying to work at an angle.

Put the yellow hose in first. Im not sure of the dynamics behind it but its something to do with the way the air flows round the trailer system

why on some trucks is the yellow airline pressurised and others not ( sure scanias never used to be vs others).

I had this problem when I was at Sainsbury’s and found it’s the order you connect them in.
Can’t remember if it was yellow then red or red then yellow but one way was extremely difficult, other way was bloody near impossible.

Whoops, just noticed, Snowman’s just posted similar.

Coffeeholic:
Reduce any excessive ■■■■■■■■■■■■ in the hours prior to coupling up to leave your arms in the best possible condition to perform the task.

+1 :slight_smile:
As mentioned turn the tractor unit off after youve hooked up, some air will be used as the unit sets the suspension which may reduce the pressure, member Bking on here may or may not have the definitive answer.

Nothing says agency to me (apart from wearing a hi viz vest whilst driving, and in hot weather nothing but a hi viz vest) than a unit ticking over whilst the driver is messing about with the suzies.

Also plus one on the yellow air line first, still not sure why this helps though…

palm coupling don’t suffer this problem
but they have there own issues

hse.gov.uk/workplacetranspor … upling.htm

war1974:
why on some trucks is the yellow airline pressurised and others not ( sure scanias never used to be vs others).

Down to manufacturer preference.

weeto:

war1974:

Down to manufacturer preference.

I thought it was to try and surprise you when removing it if your not gripping it properly as you don’t expect the pressure.

war1974:

Some tractors pressurise the yellow airline, so that the trailer brakes are applied when the vehicle handbrake is applied. I have an XF and this only has spring brake chambers on the drive axle, so it pressurises the yellow airline to ensure adequate park brake.

Yellow airline on first so trailer handbrake is applied if set on unit. If you put red on next and have forgotten trailer brake then the handbrake holds when emergencies lift off.

m1cks:
Can you not split couple. With the extra room between the unit and trailer it saves you trying to work at an angle.

if you do this…make sure you’re not breaking any ‘site rules’ :unamused:

Baby wipes remoce that black 5th wheel grease :blush: :blush: :blush:

Find your own way of easy there have been some suggestions already if you think you are strong no point in a small woman giving any advice

I put the yellow airline on 1st sometimes have to switch engine off as easier but grip the air line with both hands locking my elbows against my body to place on as need to then the red airline same thing

WD40 or similar lubricant can help.

Eric Rambler:
Is it just me? I can’t connect the airlines! I get them nearly home but not quite locked in. I think I’m quite strong but the only way I can do it is to stand right in the centre of the cat walk and use all of my strength. This often means risking getting black grease all over my trousers and I don’t like it.

Is there a simple trick to it which I should know? There was more room on the catwalk when trailers were 40 foot so it wasn’t a problem.

The way I was taught was to pump the footbrake several times to let air out of the system. That way the suzies will go on a lot easier and with less resistance. I have this problem all the time - Merc trucks are the worst offenders.

Get your arse against the back of the cab and ram it in like a propper man,if its dry spit on the end ,it will go in the harder you push and shove :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :grimacing: