Coupling up to a fridge trailer

Hi,
Its been a few years since I pulled a fridge trailer, just checking, after checking the trailer brake, should you connect the suzies to the fridge before coupling up to the fifth wheel, I know there isn’t a lot of room once the unit and fridge have been connected.

Depends on company / site policy, some insist on you hooking the 5th wheel up, winding legs up, hitting shunt button, pull off bay and put a turn in so you can get at the suzi’s that way - on an angle.

Only works if air still in tanks though, personally I split couple, double check both trailer and unit brakes, make sure turntable is under trailer and at correct suspension height, then hook up suzi’s, then complete the hook up in usual way including tug test - I’ve heard of people not doing the tug test because if it wasn’t hooked up properly they’d break the suzi’s :unamused: Muppets

Agreed with above.
Thou I saw a chap the other night who backed up close to 5th wheel, after checking trailer brake and pin height, then connected suzies and drove off. The only thing he had done wrong was collect his trailer…
Trip to see the fitters followed.

Most of the sites I’ve been in the last few years frown on split coupling altogether.

We always split couple, near impossible otherwise to couple up and I’m slim.

All depends on how much room you have, I couple up conventionally, slide the suzy carriage over towards me and connect the lines stood on the step, the new trailers have a carriage that slides right out and you connect the lines stood on the ground, all depends on company policy and what equipment is used.

Just don’t join the stupid club by missing the pin and smashing the fridge into the back of the cab.

mike68:
All depends on how much room you have, I couple up conventionally, slide the suzy carriage over towards me and connect the lines stood on the step, the new trailers have a carriage that slides right out and you connect the lines stood on the ground, all depends on company policy and what equipment is used.

Just don’t join the stupid club by missing the pin and smashing the fridge into the back of the cab.

All our fridge trailers do not have that sliding carriage they’re fixed hence it’s difficult to couple up without split coupling.

1. Back up to trailer stop.

2. Get out, check trailer brake is on.

3. Reverse under trailer until 5th wheel is under plate, raise suspension until trailer starts to lift, back up further until around 3 feet from trailer to back of unit. stop.

4. Connect suzies.

5. Back up until connected, tug test X2.

6. Rest of checks.

When I’m at stage 2 I tend to have a quick look round the trailer to make sure theres nothing obvious like flat tyres or loose stuff cos it might save a bit of time connecting up an obviously faulty trailer.

Thats how I do it if the company allows, if they don’t then you have to find out what they do allow, and if you can’t do whatever they do allow, for whatever reason let them know, it’s up to them to make the rules.

Thanks for all of the prompt replies, I remember that we always used to split couple the fridge trailers a few years back, but I wasn’t sure if things had changed.

dont forget to check if its got diesel in it before you leave

schrodingers cat:

3. Reverse under trailer until 5th wheel is under plate, raise suspension until trailer starts to lift, back up further until around 3 feet from trailer to back of unit. stop.

4. Connect suzies.

6. Rest of checks.

When I’m at stage 2 I tend to have a quick look round the trailer to make sure theres nothing obvious like flat tyres or loose stuff cos it might save a bit of time connecting up an obviously faulty trailer.

Thats how I do it if the company allows, if they don’t then you have to find out what they do allow, and if you can’t do whatever they do allow, for whatever reason let them know, it’s up to them to make the rules.

Thats the route i’d follow too, step 3 is important as if the trailer brake fails you won’t be crushed between cab and trailer as it will slide off backwards

Thanks for all of the responses, it’s great to be able to check that you are doing things the correct way.

How do you activate the smilies ?

dingocatcher:

schrodingers cat:

4. Connect suzies.

6. Rest of checks.

Thats the route i’d follow too, step 3 is important as if the trailer brake fails you won’t be crushed between cab and trailer as it will slide off backwards

Not what i would do at step 3 , so if your trailer rolls of backwards and doesbt crush you that’s a success :question:
I would connect the suzies before i lift suspension , trl ain’t rolling anywhere with legs still on tarmac .

Whirlwind:

dingocatcher:

schrodingers cat:

4. Connect suzies.

6. Rest of checks.

When I’m at stage 2 I tend to have a quick look round the trailer to make sure theres nothing obvious like flat tyres or loose stuff cos it might save a bit of time connecting up an obviously faulty trailer

Not what i would do at step 3 , so if your trailer rolls of backwards and doesbt crush you that’s a success :question:
I would connect the suzies before i lift suspension , trl ain’t rolling anywhere with legs still on tarmac .

Absolutely, any accidents and H&S would have a field day if you split couple connected to the trailer.
The unit must not be connected to the trailer before engaging the suzies.

Whirlwind:

dingocatcher:

schrodingers cat:

4. Connect suzies.

6. Rest of checks.

A loaded trailer on a gradient can move with legs still on ground when brakes released! May even push the legs back or forward if they are weak. I’d rather see the trailer rolling off the back of the unit than rolling towards me so if the park brake fails that is a success for me, plus you have the chance of popping red line off again. Spilt coupling happens on a daily basis and as it may not be ideal for H & S it will still happen so it is best to make it as safe as possible.

I cant belive in this day and age of Health and Saftey there isnt a set procedure for coupling of all trailers not just fridges.
There should be 1 procedure that Every driver should learn and HAVE stick to and if not followed correctly they should have the book thrown at them.
Correct coupling can be a matter of life and death.

Regards.

I split couple all the time. If I didnt id be going home with greasy oily clothes all the time.

waynedl:
Depends on company / site policy, some insist on you hooking the 5th wheel up, winding legs up, hitting shunt button, pull off bay and put a turn in so you can get at the suzi’s that way - on an angle.

Only works if air still in tanks though, personally I split couple, double check both trailer and unit brakes, make sure turntable is under trailer and at correct suspension height, then hook up suzi’s, then complete the hook up in usual way including tug test - I’ve heard of people not doing the tug test because if it wasn’t hooked up properly they’d break the suzi’s :unamused: Muppets

+1