Coupling up question

hi all, during my artic training as many of you will already know last thing you do before actually coupling up the fith wheel to the kingpin is the visual check to chech height ! well i just wondered what exactly would you do if the trailer was too high/low to couple up to (or is that not that possible) if so why do the check?

bigcheese:
hi all, during my artic training as many of you will already know last thing you do before actually coupling up the fith wheel to the kingpin is the visual check to chech height ! well i just wondered what exactly would you do if the trailer was too high/low to couple up to (or is that not that possible) if so why do the check?

You are checking to see that the pin and fifth wheel jaws will connect at the same level.

If unit is too high - you will crash into the front of the trailer - not good :frowning:

If unit is too low - you will miss the pin and jam the plate on the wrong side of it and maybe crash the back of the cab into the trailer - double not good :frowning:

There are 2 usual ways to adjust the heights-
By using the ‘slow’ wind on the trailer - they have 3 positions, full, slow and nowt happening in between the two :exclamation: :laughing:

The other is on the unit if it has air suspension - there are control switches either on a control box with a lead attatched or fixed in the unit itself to higher and lower the unit ride height - REMEMBER to reset to normal ride after you couple up.

macplaxton:
Suspension control pad:

Up arrow = raise
Down arrow = lower
M1 = 1st preset height
M2 = 2nd preset height
Red = stop
Green = self-level
Top middle activates/deactivates the pad, lights up one of the leds and allows the other buttons to be used.
or something like it…:blush: can’t really remember at the minute :confused:
Forgetting to self-level the suspension after coupling and you’ll see a light on the dash half the day :blush: (looks like a lorry with an arrow on the load bed diving forward, sorry about the picture quality)

Hope this helps.

A couple of links for you to click…

PROCEDURE WITH PICS
Video of LEG WINDING & Other useful things

cheers rog much appriciated.

ian