Coupling/uncoupling

Hi Guys,

Please could anyone give me the TEXT BOOK answer for the following Q as i have been taught many different things from different instructors. It was brought to my attention during an agency driving assessement, Q is:

Which air line do you connect first when coupling to trailer, and why?

Probably a simple Q to answer, however as i said i am getting conflicting reports.

Cheers

J

ive always put the red one in first.

Yep, some say Red, some say yellow, some say it don’t matter!

Whats your reason for the Red first?

Jay40:

i no on some trailers soon as red is inserted it applys air break to trailer and others releases them, but if you have checked that trailer break is on b4 applying red suzie then you no that when the air line is inserted the trailer is secure also in most cases the red airline is the furthest away from you so to make it easier i would apply red first, i always make sure trailer break is on b4 i do anythink its a habit, but a good 1 since i almost had a runaway when i forgot to apply unit parking break after being a bit flustered, so now i take my time and always check the break, so that would be my answer to the question red first, …but thats just how i would do it, ive seen all sorts of different ways of coupling, but making sure the breaks are on would be most important am sure, hope this helps

Many thanks, Brakes are the key i know and a huge safety point, that i have no problem with at all. Great info cheers

Jay40:

just is, natural instinct for some reason plus its usually the furthest away from me and with a fridge it would be the hardest to get in if you did the others first, plus if the trailer breaks on or even just the unit brakes on your fine. though its always best to check the trailer brake. luckily with tesco they are on the front of the trailer by the suzie couplings so you can tell straight away its on.

plus in all the assessments ive had ive never been told that i was doing it wrong with the red first though as you will know everyones got a difference of opinion in this game

gogzy:

Jay40:

just is, natural instinct for some reason plus its usually the furthest away from me and with a fridge it would be the hardest to get in if you did the others first, plus if the trailer breaks on or even just the unit brakes on your fine. though its always best to check the trailer brake. luckily with tesco they are on the front of the trailer by the suzie couplings so you can tell straight away its on.

yer tesco trailers are good, unless you forget to take tha trailer brake off cos they have that good system of automatically putting brakes on soon as red suzie is inserted, done it many times sitting in cab just took coat and gloves off, settling down for the journey engage gear and forgot that blasted brake :laughing: :laughing: but i like the system is alot safer and the brake is right next to the suzie,

dustylfc:

gogzy:

Jay40:

yer tesco trailers are good, unless you forget to take tha trailer brake off cos they have that good system of automatically putting brakes on soon as red suzie is inserted, done it many times sitting in cab just took coat and gloves off, settling down for the journey engage gear and forgot that blasted brake :laughing: :laughing: but i like the system is alot safer and the brake is right next to the suzie,

yea they are, plus when u disconnect the red suzie the trailer brake comes on automatically, shunting them was soo easy, red and electric in. lift, park drop pull lines and bye bye. its only contractors or the stobbie trailers u have to get down and put the brakes on and off with. though we had a maxi trailer on sunday morning that refused to move but they are just crap trailers anyway

Great guys, Red is the way to go! many thanks. J

Jay40:

The way I do it (and taught) is when uncoupling closest to furthest and vice versa for coupling…

DAF95XF:

Jay40:

The way I do it (and taught) is when uncoupling closest to furthest and vice versa for coupling…

ive always put the air then the electrics in, the abs is the last thing to go in no matter where it is, i always seem to have problems with it aswell

Ok, no worries, seems there is lots of ways do do the same thing really. Cheers

as long as the reds in first youll be fine, then u can do the rest as u please. everybody has their own way of doing it

i would like to know who teaches drivers to pull the pin first before anything.

the anount of drivers doing that these days is very scary .

they cant all be numbskulls , someone must have taught them eh ?

Marty B7:
i would like to know who teaches drivers to pull the pin first before anything.

the anount of drivers doing that these days is very scary .

they cant all be numbskulls , someone must have taught them eh ?

No LGV trainer that I know of does that so I can only assume that these driver ‘know better’ than the way there were trained to do it !!!

I was taught to give to hard tugs once you reversed under the trailer, then swithc off engine and do the rest! that was in january…

another little tip.
when coupling, after checking the trailer brake is on, as i reverse under the trailer, I use the unit air suspension to raise the trailer before engaging the pin. this means there should be no chance of missing the pin and hitting the back of the cab, and makes it easier to wind the legs up. you can also connect your lines before engaging the pin if you have a close coupled trailer, or fridge box
when uncoupling, after winding legs down, checking brake is on, disconnecting susies and pullling the pin, as I drive out slowly, I lower the unit air suspension, much less waer and tear on both.

am sure most get taught the right way but gain bad habits as they get more complacent, if am going through the procedure an sum1 stops to chat i always start from the begining to make sure, i got taught to use B.L.A.C.K, which was good to learn when i was doing lessons cos i was always worried about hooking up when i first started,

dustylfc:
am sure most get taught the right way but gain bad habits as they get more complacent, if am going through the procedure an sum1 stops to chat i always start from the begining to make sure, i got taught to use B.L.A.C.K, which was good to learn when i was doing lessons cos i was always worried about hooking up when i first started,

alright dusty, what does B L A C K stand for mate? and im the same as well,methodical whatever it is im doing! :smiley:

chuckle:
what does B L A C K stand for

Brake
Legs
Airlines
Clip
Kingpin

More on this procedure can be accessed by clicking the link in my signature below and checking out the artic un/couple post