Coupling / Uncoupling Trailers with Tractor Units?

Hello All. This is slightly off topic but I couldn’t find an answer anywhere (and it’s something that’s doing my tiny brain in!) so I apologise in advance for posting here.
I have a DAF CF85. I also have 3 urban artic trailers at our work. I have gone to collect a 4th urban trailer.
When I have gone to collect the 4th trailer.It will not engage the pin.
I reversed back and the pin goes into the 5th wheel coupling but the catch on the 5th wheel doesn’t engage.
It seems like the pin just misses the catch on the 5th wheel,almost like the trailer pin is too short.
I have tried and tried …and tried again but I can’t seem to get it to catch.
Here’s the thing though…The 4th trailer is exactly the same as one we have in the yard that I connect and disconnect with no problems at all.
Also the 4th trailer did connect to a Magnum but I cannot seem to pick it up.
Both trailers are Carlsberg 2006 Urban Artics.
I’m going to try and collect it again tomorrow. Any and all ideas much appreciated.

Coffeeholic:
The only thing I would add is before you reverse back to couple up, get out and check the trailer brake is applied.

This is exactly what I was going to add. The trailer brake check is crucial as is a full detailed visual check that the kingpin is in the correct position once coupled. No gaps between trailer and fifth wheel, no sign of the kingpin anywhere.

Also - the advice from the TM regarding raising the unit once just under the trailer is correct - this ensures the pin cannot miss the jaws. A lot of drivers I see go under the trailer too low and then start raising too late meaning the pin sometimes might enter the fifth wheel from above which can cause a miss-couple.

I would also do the reverse on uncoupling. Pull clear of the pin with the unit at normal ride height and legs wound down to ‘just’ touching the floor, maybe a small gap and then slowly lower the unit so the trailer settles nicely onto the legs and weight is transferred from unit to legs. Again some drivers just pull out and shoot off ( :exclamation: ) letting the trailer ‘crash’ down which can potentially make for damage and a difficult coupling up for the next driver because the trailer is too low.

daesal:
Hello All. This is slightly off topic but I couldn’t find an answer anywhere (and it’s something that’s doing my tiny brain in!) so I apologise in advance for posting here.
I have a DAF CF85. I also have 3 urban artic trailers at our work. I have gone to collect a 4th urban trailer.
When I have gone to collect the 4th trailer.It will not engage the pin.
I reversed back and the pin goes into the 5th wheel coupling but the catch on the 5th wheel doesn’t engage.
It seems like the pin just misses the catch on the 5th wheel,almost like the trailer pin is too short.
I have tried and tried …and tried again but I can’t seem to get it to catch.
Here’s the thing though…The 4th trailer is exactly the same as one we have in the yard that I connect and disconnect with no problems at all.
Also the 4th trailer did connect to a Magnum but I cannot seem to pick it up.
Both trailers are Carlsberg 2006 Urban Artics.
I’m going to try and collect it again tomorrow. Any and all ideas much appreciated.

is the trailer with a steering rear axle? there have been some posts that it does not engage in case the rear steering wheels are not straight

Thanks for the reply. No its just a normal rear axle.

do you lift the suspension up so the trailer rests on the fifth wheel before further backing? at which point to you stop reversing?

At first I went under the trailer until the pin was in the mouth of the 5th wheel then lifted the suspension. When this didn’t work I tried raise and lower the air on the trailer.
Then I tried pulling forward and reversing.Stopped so the trailer was just on the beginning of the 5th wheel and raised suspension. i.e. The front of the trailer was on the 5th wheel but still had a way to go to reach the pin.
It seems like the pin is going over the catch of the 5th wheel coupling almost.

right, i am afraid we need to wait for someone with more experience, sorry

@ daesal

Since you found you couldn’t couple up to this trailer have you successfully coupled up to any other trailer ?

Darren:
yep sounds righ to me…as was taught the same way

to uncouple:
B…Trailer Brake
L …Legs down on the trailer
A…Air lines & rest of Suzzies
N…Number plate
K…Kingpin…release lever & lock

and do the reverse to recouple & try to pull forward once you reconnect the trailer to make sure kingpin has locked & holds.

Never talk to someone whilst un/coupling, and never accept that friendly offer of “I’ll get the legs for you”. Not that someone would deliberately ■■■■ you over, but they may be distracted and not do it properly.
If in doubt, check, if still in doubt, ask.

BLANCK. Brake, legs, air, number plate, clip(dog), kingpin(release handle). Always go under and LIFT the trailer. If you don’t, and you ’ chance ’ it, you could smash the back of the cab. Like one of our limping, temporary knobs managed to do.

The trailer can be dropped low or high. Depending on the ineptitude/bone idleness, of the bellend who dropped it.

You guys do realise this thread is nearly nine years old don’t you :slight_smile:

Old ones are the best Tacho.

If its not locking in,hit the fifth wheel pull out handle towards the back of the unit that will knock it back in place ,then it needs a defect not doing because its got a dodgy fifth wheel…

tachograph:
You guys do realise this thread is nearly nine years old don’t you :slight_smile:

The best part of all these kids on the forum, all the old stuff is new again! :grimacing:

@ TACHOGRAPH .- Yes I’ve coupled and uncoupled onto 3 other trailers,one of them is identical to the one that won’t couple up BUT the one that won’t couple to my lorry will still couple to a Magnum (maybe others but that’s all we had available).

@seth70…is it a hammer hit backwards or more of a push it hard,or find a nice size piece of wood and “clump” it? sorry sounds like a stupid question but in my younger days I was very prone to “not knowing your own strength,now you’ve gone and broken it properly” syndrome. If this works does it mean the 5th wheel is at fault?
Thanks

tachograph:

I’d say he’s probably worked out how to couple/uncouple a trailer by now!

smokinbarrels:

tachograph:

I’d say he’s probably worked out how to couple/uncouple a trailer by now!

Well lets hope so :slight_smile:

not one similar to this…donbur.co.uk/eng/images/4736 … rlsberg-(1.JPG

The only thing I’d mention is to make sure the fifth wheel lever is pulled out before you reverse the tractor unit back.
The company you did your class one with should of told you about coupling and uncoupling!

Also you’ll find it hard to get class one work through agencies, best going direct. But don’t apply online. … better to go to the companies and soak to them directly.
I got my class one in may and still trying to get work. … only just started going direct and it’s going well so far.

nicsawalker:
The only thing I’d mention is to make sure the fifth wheel lever is pulled out before you reverse the tractor unit back.
The company you did your class one with should of told you about coupling and uncoupling!

. :question:

Also make sure the gear with the big “R” written on it is selected so you can go backwards. The company I did my C+E never mentioned this.Maybe this is why the urban trailer does not come close to the lorry?

In seriousness though. I’m sure most drivers are confident with coupling/uncoupling but sometimes discussions like this help to keep people on their toes. I have coupled trailers for years but have never heard the “B L A K” phrase which is really handy. It’s a double way to remember that you HAVE done everything, not necessarily HOW to do it. Unhelpful comments like this can put new drivers off asking questions, which in turn can affect safety. Every question is valid, possibly not every reply,though.

Keep asking questions, keep learning , things change , and there’s no substitute for experience.