Coupling and checks! It's been a while - Updated

Hi all.

As I’ve got an assessment/interview next week I’m just running through the checks and coupling procedure in my head as I’ve not been around an artic in some time.

How’s this sounding.

Get to unit.

Check oil, rad fluid, coolant and screenwash(how do you check this?) if alls ok jump in start up, lights and hazards on. Out check windows, mirrors, tires ect do you visually check fifth wheel handle is pulled or actually pull it to make sure it’s locked in place?

Find trailer and reverse up to it, stop and engine off.

Is it now the trailer is checked over and all being well then couple it up and put rear plate on and then ask someone to check brake lights?

Or is it check trailer brake is on, couple up and then check it as the pressure will be building and the lights will be on as you walk around checking it?

Cheers.

Check the trailer brake is on mate and yeah do all your trailer checks before u hookup
Check king pin handle by pullin it cant hurt can it. Save lookin daft at the end of the day

MrMartyn1984:
Hi all.

As I’ve got an assessment/interview next week I’m just running through the checks and coupling procedure in my head as I’ve not been around an artic in some time.

How’s this sounding.

Get to unit.

Check oil, rad fluid, coolant and screenwash(how do you check this?) if alls ok jump in start up, lights and hazards on. Out check windows, mirrors, tires ect do you visually check fifth wheel handle is pulled or actually pull it to make sure it’s locked in place?

Find trailer and reverse up to it, stop and engine off.

Is it now the trailer is checked over and all being well then couple it up and put rear plate on and then ask someone to check brake lights?

Or is it check trailer brake is on, couple up and then check it as the pressure will be building and the lights will be on as you walk around checking it?

Cheers.

This is very important, do not forget!

For the screenwash just press/pull the relevant button/lever if sufficient fluid comes out that will do for an assessment. A couple of things that often get overlooked on units are the road tax and operators licence. Check properly, make sure they are in date. Tyres on the unit can look ok before coupling but when hooked up make sure they still look ok with the trailer on. There is also a trailer plate and test disc to check which displays the MOT expiry date. Again make sure it is in date. Usually on the trailer chassis near the winding handle for the legs, sometimes right on the front of the trailer.
Check the height of unit and trailer! There should be a display in the cab. Make sure it is set to the correct height. Aside from the trailer brake none of these items should be a cause for failure on assessment but including them will earn some brownie points!
I think at this point you should run through your coupling up procedure on here from beginning to end including uncoupling.

Here goes.

I’ll assume for the moment they’ll want me to use air (although i will ask when there)

once checks complete, lower unit suspension and reverse so unit is under trailer, lift suspension to take the weight off the trailer legs and slowly reverse until pin engages fifth wheel, 2 tugs forward. Engine off. fit the clip, attatch airlines ect furthest away from you first so don’t get filthy? lift legs, take trailer brake off.

uncouple. Trailer brake on, legs down, airlines off, remove clip and pull kingpin handle out and over to the right? to leave it on the open position. Start engine, move fowards slowly until pin is released and then drop suspension, drive slowly out.

Am I ok with that or close? Stupid thing i have in my head is pulling that handle and making sure it’s locked in the open position, don’t want to attempt to drive off with the jaws not fully open :open_mouth:

Suppose this is all inexperienced newbie stuff, but if i can get a job that’ll be cracking.

Also forgot, stick number plate on the back.

my instruktor teach me- BLACK
B-break
L-leags
A-airlines
C-clip dog
K-king pin
AFTER THIS taked number plates
but when coupling first need check fifth wheels level and trailer level.
after coupling 9trailers brakes on) select first geers and try driving.if correct coupling lorry dont drive forward

I remember the training part about checking the height, however I once went for an assessment pretty much after I passed and the assessor said the company used air so no damage to the unit or trailer can occur. I think he was referring to if the trailer is loaded and you pull out and the suspension of the unit lifts quickly and the trailer drops slightly because of the weight?

something along them lines. I’m sure an experienced driver will be able to confirm this :slight_smile:

I didn’t get the job because the second reverse I did in between two trailers I was slightly too close and also I had to pull the handle a few times as it would not lock :open_mouth: Now you see my concern about the fifth wheel handle!

when you get driving assistmet.and make reversing.basicly you can stop lorry ang go out check about trailer possition.if yes -how many time.or just using mirrors.■■?

Remember to take the stick off the brake after checking the trailer/lights. :laughing: The guy I was training with tried to drive forward after coupling up and wondered why he was going nowhere, while me and the trainer tried hard to keep a straight face “mock test conditions”. I don’t suppose they will have a “stick” for your asessment, but I still PMSL when I think about it. :laughing:

An extra bonus point may be creeping under the trailer and physically inspect the jaws, that will show you know how a Fifth Wheel works, and get the assessor to earn his keep, ask him to get out and check your lights.

MrMartyn1984:
Here goes.

I’ll assume for the moment they’ll want me to use air (although i will ask when there)

once checks complete, lower unit suspension and reverse so unit is under trailer, lift suspension to take the weight off the trailer legs and slowly reverse until pin engages fifth wheel, 2 tugs forward.UNIT BRAKE ON! Engine off. fit the clip, attatch airlines ect furthest away from you first so don’t get filthy? lift legs, take trailer brake off.THE WHOLE OUTFIT JUST RAN AWAY AND KILLED SOMEONE!

uncouple. Trailer brake on, legs down, airlines off, remove clip and pull kingpin handle out and over to the right? to leave it on the open position. Start engine, move fowards slowly until pin is released and then drop suspension, drive slowly out.

Am I ok with that or close? Stupid thing i have in my head is pulling that handle and making sure it’s locked in the open position, don’t want to attempt to drive off with the jaws not fully open :open_mouth:

Suppose this is all inexperienced newbie stuff, but if i can get a job that’ll be cracking.

TRAILER BRAKE ON BEFORE BACKING UNDER!

I’m trying to emphasise as strongly as possible here, you must apply the trailer brake before going under it and you must,must,must,must,must apply the unit brake after the tug test.

Sorry I should of put about putting brake on as I just find that natural to put it on, would never not apply a brake when getting out of the cab.

As for trailer brake, I would check that’s applied as I walk round checking the trailer before I couple up to it.

When I first start checks after the oil, when I jump in and put lights and hazards on and start the engine, do I leave engine running whilst doing checks so pressure can build in the tanks?

Cheers.

This happened to me about four years ago and I’ve never had the courage to write about it but in the interests of safety this is what happened -

I was driving a lorry and drawbar from Salisbury to Portland, Dorset delivering furnituire. The trailer was too big to take into Portland so i parked and unhitched it in the lorry park on the right hand side just before entering Portland. I subsequently returned to move the trailer so that i could tranship the furniture from the trailer into the unit. I reversed onto the trailer, heard the jaws close arond the pin, jumped out the cab, connected the lines and went round to the near side rear to release the trailer brake. It was a bit stiff but with a good knock it released … and the whole unit started rolling forward down the slope! I sprinted along the nearside, ran in front of the vehicle, grabbed the drivers door and pulled myself up just enough to yank the handbrake on. I stopped it after having moved about 20 yards. If I hadn’t made it, it would have rolled on down the hill and into the main road. I could have killed, injured, demolished, been killed, injured, etc. All because, after having connected and attempted to pull forward to ensure that I was correctly hitched, I had forgotten to put the handbrake on. It felt as if the handbrake was on because the trailer was holding me back, hence why the trailer brake was so hard to undo… that should have given me a clue. I still have nightmares about it. Luckily I’m fairly fit and was able to retrieve the situation but it could have been a disaster. Luckily again the slope was fairly gentle and gave me a chance to catch it up. ALWAYS UNHITCH ON LEVEL GROUND AND ALWAYS PUT THE HANDBRAKE ON BEFORE GETTING OUT. It sounds obvious but I made those mistakes and nearly paid dearly for it. I hope this helps.

MrMartyn1984:
When I first start checks after the oil, when I jump in and put lights and hazards on and start the engine, do I leave engine running whilst doing checks so pressure can build in the tanks?

Cheers.

No. You shouldn’t have to in a well maintained vehicle. If it does need building up do this whilst in the cab and when sufficient pressure has built up switch it off and get out and listen for leaks. When is this assessment?

Assessment on Wednesday.

So jump in engine on, lights hazards on wait for pressure to build then switch off and do rest of checks on the unit whilst listening for leaks?

Like I say, been a while and just making sure I do my best.

The really important parts of an assessment are the coupling/uncoupling procedure and giving them a nice drive.
I will run through the whole thing with you just to clarify.

1. Check the unit. This consists of checking oil, fuel and coolant levels. Oil level check might be done from in the cab. If not sure, ask the assessor. This also applies to coolant. Make sure you check the oil before starting the engine.
    Having done this you could now start the engine. If you find the air is low this might hint at a problem. Let it build up the air. At this point you could check the steering, is there any excess play? Also, are there any warning lights showing? There will be some on start up but they should go out. Built up the air? Switch off and do your walk round checks. Get the bonnet up, ask the assessor how if you don’t know, there’s several different ways. Depending on vehicle this could be the time to check oil and coolant levels. Look under the unit for any evidence of leaks.
    Check lights, tax disc and operator disc are current. Make sure there’s no bits hanging off or dangerous looking, unlikely in an assessment vehicle, check tyres and wheelnuts. Wheelnut pointers should align with each other and there should be none missing. Many firms don’t use them. Any oil sitting on the wheel rim? Rain suppressant gear intact and solidly attached? That’s mudguards.
    All suzies present and in good condition? Fifth wheel got some grease on it? Is the fifth wheel handle in it’s correct position? A look is all that’s required with a little experience but give it a pull to see if it comes out. If there’s two handles then the one nearest the fifth wheel plate is the one you want. The other one moves the whole thing backwards or forwards. Dog clip there?
    As you walked round did you hear air escaping? If yes bring it to the attention of the assessor.

All the above is a comprehensive list of checks. Think of your car and what you need to do to ensure it is both legally and mechanically fit to go on the road. Add on the suzies, fifth wheel and possible air leaks and that covers you.

Coupling up. First thing, make sure the trailer brake is on!

Check the trailer mot test is in date, there’s a disc and plate usually on the chassis by the winding handle or on the front of the trailer. No point hooking up to one that’s out of MOT. Trailers less that a year old do not need one though. Check if the trailer is loaded, an empty one will be easier for you to get under. Loaded will need careful matching of fifth wheel height to trailer to avoid the need for excessive throttle.

Ask the assessor if split coupling is necessary. When the gap between unit and trailer is small it might be permitted to do this. Many large companies do not allow it. Is there anything on the trailer you do not recognise and are not sure about? Ask the assessor.

For straightforward coupling.

Having applied the trailer brake first, reverse towards the trailer, stopping short of making contact with it. Get out and assess the height of the fifth wheel against the trailer and adjust it using the unit suspension controls. Ask the assessor to explain if you’re not familiar with them.

Having matched the height of unit and trailer reverse under slowly until you meet the pin and hear the jaws engage. It’s something like the lock on a door when it closes,have your window down to listen. As a newbie I would suggest you do your tug test to check your securely connected.

PARK BRAKE ON NOW!!! :grimacing:

Switch it off, diesel fumes are cancerous!

Dog clip in. If it won’t go in the handle may not have retracted fully and giving it a slap to the left will usually see it go in and the clip can go on. If it doesn’t go in you haven’t locked on properly. It happens! Back in the cab and try again just come forward a foot and back again. If it continues to be a problem adjust the unit suspension slightly which might help.

PARK BRAKE ON AGAIN!!! :grimacing:

Attach the suzies but have a quick look at the pins in the electrical suzies, if any are broken or bent they might cause a problem, you won’t know for sure until you connect them. Leave the red airline till last9it might not be red but will have a collar you pull back to attach it). Give it ten seconds. Is the world moving around you? YOU DIDN’T APPLY THE BLOODY BRAKES!!! :grimacing: YOU CAN WHIP THE RED AIRLINE BACK OFF AND SAVE THE DAY!

Any air escaping from the airlines? No, move on .Yes , get the assessors opinion.

For split coupling again match the height of the fifth wheel to the trailer and drive under the trailer but don’t go all the way back. Stop and APPLY THE UNIT BRAKE!!! IS THE TRAILER BRAKE ON■■? :grimacing:

YES TO BOTH AND YOU CAN CONNECT THE SUZIES!

Now reverse back until you lock on the pin. As you’ve done your suzies you should do your dog clip and then the legs.

Wind the legs up. If they’re too stiff because the weight of the trailer is on them push the winding handle in and this will give you a lower gear to wind the legs up. When the winding handle meets no resistance pull it back out again for high gear and wind the legs fully up!.

Remember that TRAILER BRAKE■■? :grimacing:

You can release it now but don’t leave it yet. Give it ten seconds to see if the outfit starts moving because you left the UNIT BRAKE OFF!!! :grimacing:

Start her up and build the air. Don’t leave it running.

Put your number plate on and carry out your walk round checks as per the unit, listening for air leaks. If the trailer is loaded make sure the load is secure.

Now go out and give him a safe drive!

Many of the issues I have pointed out will not arise with a high profile company such as Stobarts. Most likely you will not have any legal or mechanical problems to deal with and it will be straightforward.

Good luck!

“Leave the red airline till last9it might not be red but will have a collar you pull back to attach it). Give it ten seconds. Is the world moving around you? YOU DIDN’T APPLY THE BLOODY BRAKES!!! YOU CAN WHIP THE RED AIRLINE BACK OFF AND SAVE THE DAY!”
:laughing: :laughing: Love it! Thanks for the reminder - it’s been a while since I’ve done an assessment, so good to get it straight again :sunglasses:

Gutted.

Failed assessment as when I done my 2 tugs even though I felt the unit pull, apparently I should of had more power on :frowning:

Also forgot to check trailer height, which is fair enough :frowning: