Couple of things that happened over the last 2 days

Ok on Monday evening I was travelling up the M1 NB after joining it at Northampton Services (J15) :question: after coming up the A34/A43 from Andover. Now I run on the CC at 86km but the truck is limited at 90km but have found that running that little bit slower is less stressful, gives you a little bit in hand for an overtake and the truck uses less fuel overall. Anyways I had been running behind an Interoute Decker for maybe the last 40 miles or so and he hadn’t really pulled away into the distance so we were obviously running at around the same speed but when we came into the the road works at M1/M6 split I had caught right upto him. Once we had got through the RW’s and got back upto speed (86km) we started to catch up to an ASDA truck which we all know appear to be limited to 80km :question: So Interoute pulls out to overtake and I follow him, Interoute gets past the ASDA truck and pulls in but doesn’t seem to make any progress in pulling away from Mr ASDA :question: By the time I’ve got alongside the ASDA truck I’m right on the limiter (90km) and the Interoute truck hasn’t been able to make any progress and the gap between them is only half the length of my truck :open_mouth: :open_mouth: This went on until the exit for Rugby/Lutterworth loomed and by this time I had a few other trucks behind me that obviously had a bit more over the limiter than me also as the gap was still too small to even attempt the nearside ‘indicate Im pulling in’ manourvre I was looking in my N/S mirror to see if Mr ASDA was indicating to come off but no he wasn’t so :astonished: I was stuck on the limiter with a line of trucks behind me. :blush: Now what really ■■■■■■ me off is that Mr ASDA actually did pull off but for some reason thought it clever to run in lane 1 until the very last second before pulling off. :imp: Consequently leaving me hung out in lane 2 for no reason at all :imp:

Normally do not have a problem with ASDA trucks, just overtake and away, but haven’t got a clue why this fella wanted to play silly games :question:

Today I was heading out to Grimsby and as we all know it has been very windy and my truck being a bloody big boxvan on a small chassis it is like being in a North Sea trawler in these weather conditions :laughing: :wink:

When I pulled onto the M18 from the M62 the wind was coming from my right hand side and was really pushing the truck over on the springs and I’d slowed down to 70km. I’d seen a McBurney FH pulling a reefer in my mirrors and just thought he would steam past me, how wrong could I be :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Once Mr McBurney had got his unit past the front of my cab and the whole of his reefer alongside my truck he slowed it down to match my ‘slow’ progress. I wasn’t sure at first and knocked a few clicks of the CC but Mr McBurney matched it and just kept alongside me :exclamation: :exclamation: So I immediately understood what this guy was doing, he was giving me some protection from the wind :exclamation: This went on until we were approaching the off road for the M180, I backed off and Mr McBurney pulled in front and went on his way coz once on the M180 the wind was a tailwind.

This has restored my faith in the trucking community. I was unable to get any identifier off the truck just that it had a Liverpool phone no; on the door and I know it’s a long shot that the driver could be a member on here but I do know that we have plenty of members from the ‘Pool’ area and I’d just like to thank this guy for his help today :exclamation: It meant a lot to me so Thanks Mate :exclamation: :exclamation:

Regards
Dave Penn;

That was a nice ending.

its good to know for every numpty we have in our profession theres at least one good driver.

When it gets windy on the m18 (and it scary i can tell you in a high sided empty vehicle) ,i always try pair up with a vehicle that i see struggling and ive seen a few on there tilting up ,but my tanker doesnt even when empty