Couple of questions.

Some of you may be aware that I’m new to class 1 and I’ve just finished my second week.

What I need to know are this,

1. How many hooks can you get away with being damaged/faulty on a curtain sider before Vosa start to get in a mood about it? Did a run for Asda out of Doncaster today and the curtain had about 8 faulty ones in total. I didn’t know if I should have taken it or not.

2. When sat on a loading bay in an RDC, is it classed as POA or other work when you are just sat in your cab whilst they unload/load you?

Cheers
Gloria.

Well i cant comment on the curtain issue as i pull a fridge but,i’m 99% that is defo not classed as POA.

sat in cab, not doing any work… i put it on break

Sat in the cab = not working, which means either break, (Depending on your driving hours or WTD.) or POA.

IIRC, POA is a period that you are available to work, (Period of availabilty.) but are not working. If your sat in the cab, your not working but are available to do if instructed.

Ken.

8 faulty hooks, in my current job would mean I wouldnt take the trailer out. I would not be able to give a definite rule though, as we are told if its part of the truck/trailer and its missing then its defective.

PM’d you

Some trailers have “load bearing curtains” so I’ve been told. so if one strap is missing then it’s defective apparently. At my old place I think just about every trailer had a strap missing I never got stopped though mate and neither did anyone else, not for straps missing anyways.

And yes it is poa if your sat in your cab or waiting room at a rdc. But as said before it’s a handy time to get a break in :wink:

dukeofdirt:
And yes it is poa if your sat in your cab or waiting room at a rdc.

Only if you have been told in advance, or know from experience of the delivery, the length of time you will be waiting, which with most RDC’s you are unlikely to know or be told.

Coffeeholic:

dukeofdirt:
And yes it is poa if your sat in your cab or waiting room at a rdc.

Only if you have been told in advance, or know from experience of the delivery, the length of time you will be waiting, which with most RDC’s you are unlikely to know or be told.

Agreed! Thanks for the correction mate.

If it’s not a load bearing curtain then you can get away with loads of the buckles being broke as long as there are enough to stop the curtain flapping about. I’ve driven many a time when shunting between two sites a few km apart with virtually all of them unclipped. Obv the load should be secured because non load bearing curtains are purely weather protection for the load and are in no way intended to be used as a securing method

Say you have to drag a trailer from Scotland to London, where do you draw the line, is it 1 broken strap or 12 or 24?

yet another grey area?

I can’t see how any strap blowing around in the wind can be allowed, especially if it has the clasp still attached to the bottom, that will hurt if it hit’s you up the back of your canister as the lorry drives past you :open_mouth:

If the strap is missing and the buckle part is still there, then I would say that as long as the curtain is securely fastened then it’s not a problem, one strap every 6’ would be enough to stop the curtain blowing around.

However if it’s a load bearing curtain, if such a thing exists, then a missing strap is going to be considered part of the structure and is a no no.

BTW apart from the chipliner or tapered in at the top brewery style curtainsider, is there such a thing as a load bearing curtain?

Poa is a waste of time and I never use it. on digital it as counts as break even though it isn’t so that throws your driving and break times out the window.

newmercman:
I can’t see how any strap blowing around in the wind can be allowed, especially if it has the clasp still attached to the bottom, that will hurt if it hit’s you up the back of your canister as the lorry drives past you :open_mouth:

If the strap is missing and the buckle part is still there, then I would say that as long as the curtain is securely fastened then it’s not a problem, one strap every 6’ would be enough to stop the curtain blowing around.

However if it’s a load bearing curtain, if such a thing exists, then a missing strap is going to be considered part of the structure and is a no no.

BTW apart from the chipliner or tapered in at the top brewery style curtainsider, is there such a thing as a load bearing curtain?

I used to work transporting foam on 16’ trailers, when we were taken over by TDG we had to do this 5* driver training hoo har it was done by a bloke who was the spitting image of josef fritzel (the bloke who locked his daughter in his basement)

He told us that our curtains were “load bearing” so like you said a missing strap was messing with the structure of the trailer blah blah blah. The only thing he said you could tell the difference by was that the curtain was double lined with some sort of rubber mesh inbetween. Tbh i can’t tell the difference by looking at load bearing and a normal curtain, same amount of straps, weren’t noticeably heavier etc.
The chip liners and such Josef told me that they’re armored not load bearing.

If this is a load of twoddle don’t take it out on me lol!!