Couple of newbee questions - working/driving hours

Hi,

I just can’t find the answer to these anywhere.

Are driving hours and working hours a different thing? In other words I know that you are allowed 9hrs a day driving limit which can be extended to 10hrs twice a week, so that is a max of 47hrs a week driving…so how is it I read of virtually every driver working 50-60hrs a week all the time? I am guessing the 50-60hrs must then include breaks, but what else does it include?

Also say you’re scheduled to take a couple of deliveries during a working day but you find yourself stuck in a couple of bad traffic jams and have to work an extra 2hrs…do you still get paid for that?

david8732:
Are driving hours and working hours a different thing?

YES - two different sets of rules which work together

Lets say during a 15 hour shift you -
drive for 8 hours
other work for 4 hours
break for 1 hour
use POA for 2 hours

That is a total of 12 hours working time (WTD) because break and POA do not count

For the EU driving regs that is 8 hours driving time and a max of 9 hours daily rest time (reduced daily rest) because after doing 15 hours that only leaves 9 hours out of 24 hours from the start of the shift

Also say you’re scheduled to take a couple of deliveries during a working day but you find yourself stuck in a couple of bad traffic jams and have to work an extra 2hrs…do you still get paid for that?

Often yes, but it will depend on the employment contract.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

Often yes, but it will depend on the employment contract.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

We pay ours for the hours they do - it really does depend on the Company though. I once paid someone 123 hours in one week :open_mouth:* , but the stars aligned on a couple of long ferry journeys and normally we aren’t loaded if it’s sleeping in a truck, this time we were, so he got paid through the night although he was sleeping.

We really aren’t normal, but it does tell you to ask questions at the interview and why £12.00 an hour is sometimes better than £12.50 an hour :wink:

Good luck with your job hunting.

• the :open_mouth: was the pain as I say his wages leave my bank account… :laughing:

Thanks for the replies gentlemen… appreciate it :slight_smile: