Couple of my mates trucks

a friend of mine owns a small haulage company, while passing the other month i took a couple of snaps, sadly his volvo with custom paint was out at work so still not got any of it!!

and one which used to belong to him but now parks in the same yard

Nice pics, good job thet Volvo hes got has got tinted windows, cos Simon is an ugly git!

That silver XF looks the cat’s pyjamas.

No prizes for guessing my favourite, eh Mat? :laughing:

flying_fenman:

im guessing its the p reg daf… :laughing: (better than that merc in my opinion!!)

euromat:

flying_fenman:

im guessing its the p reg daf… :laughing: (better than that merc in my opinion!!)

Er, no. Actually it isn’t. :smiley:

Did you know that if you translate the word DAF from Dutch into English, you get the word ‘Bedford’. :wink:

Honest. :laughing:

Give me the Preg DAF any day over one of them recycled U-Boats :laughing:

nianiamh:

too right!!

still could be worse, could be a 4 series scania!!!

I saw the Actros in Norwich the other week, impressive looking lorry!

NIce fleet ,
always good to see smart vechs! :laughing:

flying_fenman:

euromat:

flying_fenman:

Er, no. Actually it isn’t. :smiley:

Did you know that if you translate the word DAF from Dutch into English, you get the word ‘Bedford’. :wink:

Honest. :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing:

I’m sorry, but DAFs are just awful - so flimsy and they’re so cheap and nasty compared to a Mercedes-Benz. I just don’t see the attraction.

I suppose an XF SSC has a good sized cab, but I don’t think it is any better than a MegaSpace.

Mine is a 2544 (V6, 435 bhp / 2100Nm). And you can load any DAF, Scania, MAN, Volvo, Iveco or anything else of similar power and torque, to 44 tonnes and I’ll sit with you all day long on any hill you want.

My ‘05’ plate Actros has done over 300,000 km and it never misses a beat. I regularly do 600 km per day in it and it just soldiers on. And it is much better on fuel too. It only ever goes to the dealer when it needs a service.

When I had an ‘04’ plate DAF CF Space Cab it was always breaking. Electrical faults one day, a sensor gone the next. Coolant leaks, oil leaks. Windows stuck, trim falling off. The list goes on. It was just a heap of junk!

I like a truck that always gets me to where I want to go without any hassle. And my Actros always does. :smiley:

flying_fenman:
Mine is a 2544 (V6, 435 bhp / 2100Nm). And you can load any DAF, Scania, MAN, Volvo, Iveco or anything else of similar power and torque, to 44 tonnes and I’ll sit with you all day long on any hill you want.

:smiley:

Well there must be something wrong with our motors then (2x2544 & 5x2546)
Because with 26t on them they just drop off when you hit any bank on the motorway down to below 50mph & almost 40mph on the climbe just past frankly services on the m5
yet the 420 scannias we had would just dig in from the start and hardly any loss of speed.

On the U-Boats the auto headlight adjusters are great if you dont want to see where your going on nights or if you like to blind everyone coming the other way but nothing in between :angry: The arm rests are great but please what ever you do dont rest your arm on them as thats how youll break them :unamused: . The computer cant make up its mind how much oil is in it from on min to the next :angry: .
Ours are 6x2 lift only no steer and with weight on A roads they handle crap its a full time job just keeping it where it should be :open_mouth: .
A few weeks ago i had 26t on one of the 460s for magor so i reset the computer and due to the great handling i opted for an hours worth of A road down to the M54/M6/M5/M50/A449/M4 The U-Boat returned a nice 5.8mpg on its little computer now i am glad that i dont pay for it at the rate it likes to drink it, i hate to think what it would of been had i gone down the A49 route :laughing: .
The cabs are nice inside but as long as you dont have to move the rattling crap anywhere then theyre a top motor :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

There must be a man with a little toothbrush mustache looking down or up on us laughing his nad`s off and saying to himself
“and they think they won the war Ha Ha Ha”
These motors really are Hitlers Revenge :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Good Pics :smiley:

flying_fenman:
I’m sorry, but DAFs are just awful - so flimsy and they’re so cheap and nasty compared to a Mercedes-Benz. I just don’t see the attraction.

I suppose an XF SSC has a good sized cab, but I don’t think it is any better than a MegaSpace.

My ‘05’ plate Actros has done over 300,000 km and it never misses a beat. I regularly do 600 km per day in it and it just soldiers on. And it is much better on fuel too. It only ever goes to the dealer when it needs a service.

When I had an ‘04’ plate DAF CF Space Cab it was always breaking. Electrical faults one day, a sensor gone the next. Coolant leaks, oil leaks. Windows stuck, trim falling off. The list goes on. It was just a heap of junk!

I like a truck that always gets me to where I want to go without any hassle. And my Actros always does. :smiley:

our dafs have never been any problem, still got an r reg one which soldiers on, luckily he newer motors are super space cabs as we live in them for months at a time, there really isnt a better cab on the market in my opinion, them bunks take some beating, i found the merc cab a bit of a let down, and not as big, but i agree they work and work and keep working, my old boss used to run them, they are true gaffers motors, and there is still a huge export market for them cos they are (or were) pretty unbreakable

nianiamh:

right on brother!still suffering a “makes me backsore axor”…more chiropractors please! :imp:

whooshwhoosh:

nianiamh:

right on brother!still suffering a “makes me backsore axor”…more chiropractors please! :imp:

you dont want to be my mate at the mo then, he has loaded today, next stop moscow in an axor!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

euromat:

whooshwhoosh:

nianiamh:

you dont want to be my mate at the mo then, he has loaded today, next stop moscow in an axor!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Euromat,
have you been doing the Travis tour with Transam? I was in Dundee on Wednesday night and I was talking to a colleague about how far it was from home, then as we passed the back of Caird Hall what do I see but two Transam units & trailers!

chorcheela:

euromat:

whooshwhoosh:

nianiamh:

Euromat,
have you been doing the Travis tour with Transam? I was in Dundee on Wednesday night and I was talking to a colleague about how far it was from home, then as we passed the back of Caird Hall what do I see but two Transam units & trailers!

nope thats tiny ans my mate shanksy, 3 week tour just round the uk, then they are both onto the rolling stones, i originally wouldnt of been able to do it as i was due out on marilyn manson, but have been taken off that and am now doing slayer in a bit over a weeks time

nianiamh:
Well there must be something wrong with our motors then (2x2544 & 5x2546)
Because with 26t on them they just drop off when you hit any bank on the motorway down to below 50mph & almost 40mph on the climbe just past frankly services on the m5
yet the 420 scannias we had would just dig in from the start and hardly any loss of speed.

Get the revs up to 1800 rpm before you start climbing and they will pull.
Find our Scanias (‘03’ & ‘04’ plate R124-420 HPI Toplines) are much worse than the Actros on hills. Even if you change down it makes no difference. You just get more noise. :laughing:

nianiamh:
On the U-Boats the auto headlight adjusters are great if you dont want to see where your going on nights or if you like to blind everyone coming the other way but nothing in between :angry: The arm rests are great but please what ever you do dont rest your arm on them as thats how youll break them :unamused: . The computer cant make up its mind how much oil is in it from on min to the next :angry: .
Ours are 6x2 lift only no steer and with weight on A roads they handle crap its a full time job just keeping it where it should be :open_mouth: .
A few weeks ago i had 26t on one of the 460s for magor so i reset the computer and due to the great handling i opted for an hours worth of A road down to the M54/M6/M5/M50/A449/M4 The U-Boat returned a nice 5.8mpg on its little computer now i am glad that i dont pay for it at the rate it likes to drink it, i hate to think what it would of been had i gone down the A49 route :laughing: .
The cabs are nice inside but as long as you dont have to move the rattling crap anywhere then theyre a top motor :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Don’t have the auto beam adjusters you mention. On ours you just poke a screwdriver into the holes above and below the lights and turn. I find the lights OK, but I admit I think the ones on our MANs are better.

The arm rests on mine have not broken and I use them everyday. :confused: If you are 17 stone and jump onto them from the top bunk they will break, as the driver of the sister vehicle to mine will tell you. :unamused:

The oil level sensor does fluctuate slightly - but you don’t need to top up until it says it wants ‘5.0 litres’. Six litres is the equivalent to being on the minimum mark of a dipstick on a 2544 or a 2546. Mine only fluctuates by about a litre anyway, so it isn’t a problem. It doesn’t have to say ‘Oil level OK’ to be ‘OK’ in other words. I think the electronic oil level display in a Volvo or an MAN is more fool-proof, to be honest.

I agree that a twin-steer is a nice idea when manoeuvring - but I dump the air out of the midlift anyway so it really is no problem. I can tell no difference when I’m rolling. I think you need to get yours into a dealer if it’s as bad as that. :open_mouth:

And you have certainly got a problem if you’re only getting that sort of economy. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Funnily enough I did a Magor last week from Huntingdon. 26 pallets of soup out, 200-odd blues back. Route was A14 - M6 - M42 - M5 - M50 - A449 -M4. Computer said I achieved 11.3 mpg overall. I’m averaging about 9.5 mpg overall at the moment according to our weekly fuel sheets, and these figures come from the total miles over a week divided by the total amount of diesel I’ve put in. I’ll add that I rarely get a straight Magor as well!!

nianiamh:
There must be a man with a little toothbrush mustache looking down or up on us laughing his nad`s off and saying to himself
“and they think they won the war Ha Ha Ha”

Good one!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: