Country Maid Bakeries, Saltney, Chester

Does anyone have any photos of Country Maid Bakeries, Saltney, Chester? They used to make “Sunblest Bread”

I can remember their thruppenny bit cabbed BMC’s (Austin/ Morris etc FG, FJ’s) which seemed to everywhere when I was a kid.

Here’s a 1947 Morris Commercial which appears on an old postcard of Bridge Street Chester (sorry about the quality, it’s enlarged from a small image) :-

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers - RR

Thanks to Quinny on the Photos forum for directing me to the Austin-Rover website which contained this little gem; a Morris/BMC FG with the famous ‘Thrupenny bit cab’:-

I’m not sure if it was a Saltney based motor. but they certainly had lots of this type there in these exact colours.

Any further info on Country Maid Bakery vehicles at Saltney would be gratefully received.

Cheers - RR

Hi, can’t be of too much help but in the 70’s I worked for a Widnes firm (HMS) who fitted and maintained truck hydraulics, we used to repair & service the tail lifts at Country Maid.

If my memory serves me correctly they had a yellow Atki Borderer as a yard shunter, and only had a couple of box van trailers, most of the vehicles we did tail lifts on were rigids.

Ross.

Cheers Ross, I can remember the Atki Borderer, I used to see it at the back of the bakery when passing there by train.

rapidgem:
Cheers Ross, I can remember the Atki Borderer, I used to see it at the back of the bakery when passing there by train.

Wasn’t there a big pallet yard next door? I remember the railway line passing the rear of the yard.