Could someone answer this?

while sat having a break on the A34 a lorry pulled up and parked the the driver jumpped out and lowered the trailer to the floor pretty much then lowered the unit all the way, then jumpped back in and carryed on doing whatever…just got me thinking what could be the reason for it?

Dan

I’ve heard of this before, its a myth that the driver thinks that by dropping all the air then the truck will not be blown about by wind from passing trucks. what they fail to realise is that the cab will be on its own suspension as well so its pointless.

skids:
I’ve heard of this before, its a myth that the driver thinks that by dropping all the air then the truck will not be blown about by wind from passing trucks. what they fail to realise is that the cab will be on its own suspension as well so its pointless.

Not quite pointless, every little helps.

If you turn cab into the kurb slightly, that helps too, because the wind doesn’t directly hit the cab, better to park between 2 trucks in a truck stop though :astonished:

I was parked in sutton scotney services so not much fast moving traffic hmm its a strange one, did look like a old timer!

Ah but, when all the air is dumped the rig doesn’t rock quite as much when it is windy (not a myth). as Skids rightly says, nowt you can do about the cab rocking though, although it’s effect is lessened.

Scared of heights?

did not want to give any body a clue to the fact he was going to be throwing one off maybe :smiley:

Could have been a low rider and forgot to reset the suspension after raising it??

An old boy parked in our yard one night and round the trailer legs down. Asked him if he was dropping the trailer, “no, I do this to stop the trailer rocking in the wind”
Ok, logically I could see the point, but it was a still Summers night. No breeze at all, and in a very quiet yard so no passing traffic. Oh and he was parked between two other trailers!
Think it was just his set routine to be honest. Bloody old duffer.

Was the vehicle high?

If so driver could have been lowering the height for an approaching borderline bridge (or tree) on a known route.

Alternatively, vehicle just negotiated a known uneven junction that causes grounding which he negotiated fully raised and stopped as soon as practical to reset normal height.