Could i go with the drivers for experience?

hey guys, just wondering has anybody here ever went to there local haulage firms and asked could they go out with a driver for the experience and give the driver a hand, as ive got my class 2 and studying for my mod 4, ive bein on incapsity benefit and they stoped it 2 weeks ago, had a bad run in with a forklift truck few years back :laughing: , but now last week i had to join the dole :frowning: , i dont want to be on it, but this new jobseekers agreement you have to work for you jobseekers forenightly money, i would just be doing it for experience, not asking to be paid, plus im on jobseekers anyway, they wernt really any help in the dole last week, am just wondering have any of you,s guys worked for free for experience?? as i need it, thanxs guys

Make a list of different hauliers within your area and go and see them. Try and gather as much feedback from the first few to see where you can adjust your approach (if needed) in order to present yourself to others. Some may not be keen due to Insurance - as well as H&S regs. However, if you don’t ask how will you ever know?

Others may appreciate your aptitude and attitude.

My old boss’ s favourite saying was "If you don’t open the box, you’ll never know what’s inside!

Where abouts are you from? Sounds like a good idea to me and you may even get a job out of it.
As for insurance all companies have to have insurance for the passanger but h&s maybe an issue.
Good luck with the mod4!

thanxs macci and hgv, im from belfast n.ireland, suppose your rite about wat your old boss said ill never know whats inside the box if i never open it :slight_smile: i thought some guys on here mite of tryed it for experience, and i was thinking about the insurance purposes, just want to ask you guys, then again thats why we are all here for the advice :laughing: i really could do with the experience, still not 100% on tacographs etc, so would be nice to go out with somebody first and learn a bit more, i was suppose to go to the dole today and didnt make it, so have to go monday to sign :frowning: , so will see if they can get me placement or if they help in anyway at all, thanxs again macci and hgv for your help, anymore would be much apprecated :slight_smile:

This in my opinion is the best way to learn the job , when i first passed managed to get a company to let me go out for the day , try the smaller companies they are more likely to be helpful , just explain you have just recently passed and want to get some experience ,
After I passed my class1 was finding it hard to get a break and went into a company on a class 2 job did a good job and made a pal of the other guy who was on the artic , a week later talked him into letting me take the artic up with him as a passenger , and now they call me first if need an agency driver , the other driver was able to go back to tm and say that could handle the artic no probs and took the pressure off going out driving for the first time as i knew someone with experience was with me if got into difficulties ,
You will get the knock backs but dont take em personally eventually someone will give you a break

good luck

jen

thanxs jen for the great advice, gives me more hope now, cheers :wink:

Last Friday an agency asked if I would be willing to accompany a Spar delivery driver (on rigids) as an unpaid training day, to learn the ropes should I be needed to step in at some point. I agreed and had 12 hrs unpaid learning about narrow Cornish lanes, customer liaison and all the required paperwork needed for chilled/frozen multidrop…The very next day, and the bank holiday Monday, saw me driving an urban artic around Cornwall and Dorset, on me tod, because I was now ‘trained’ and gettin’ paid for it :smiley:

…if you don’t open the box

Tazbug

I wish I could be lucky enough to get this opportunity. I even asked my agency if I could go out and get experience. Nada. They even put me on for availability this weekend and said I’ll try and get you in with the coop but would be on my own. Well no phone call so here I am sitting in the house. Don’t think Im ever gonna get a break. :frowning: I hope you do though. It really is a good idea if you can find someone to give you a chance.

KittyKat:
I wish I could be lucky enough to get this opportunity. I even asked my agency if I could go out and get experience. Nada. They even put me on for availability this weekend and said I’ll try and get you in with the coop but would be on my own. Well no phone call so here I am sitting in the house. Don’t think Im ever gonna get a break. :frowning: I hope you do though. It really is a good idea if you can find someone to give you a chance.

Hi KittyKat,

I’ve been in exactly the same situation as you, so I feel your pain. :frowning:

The Co-Op are usually very good about taking on newbies, so from the info you’ve given, I think they’ll probably be your best bet for a start.

This has been the same for a long time now, and it was actually the Co-Op who gave me my first start on a proper LGV way back in 1980. It was a bit harder back then, because there weren’t agencies in the way that there are these days.

Your time WILL come. :wink:

KittyKat…have you done what davy1111 is actually asking about? i.e. going to companies in and around your neck of the woods and seeing if they’ll give you a go?
If you knock on a few doors and the answer is no then you are where you started, nothing lost but a little pride. However, you might just get to open that box and show them what you can do…especially if you wish to give up some of your time for free.
Sometimes you just have to get out there and do it yourself, don’t wait for the agency…yes I was extremely lucky, just happened to be available in the right place at the right time.

Best of luck matey

Tazbug

Tazbug:
KittyKat…have you done what davy1111 is actually asking about? i.e. going to companies in and around your neck of the woods and seeing if they’ll give you a go?
If you knock on a few doors and the answer is no then you are where you started, nothing lost but a little pride. However, you might just get to open that box and show them what you can do…especially if you wish to give up some of your time for free.
Sometimes you just have to get out there and do it yourself, don’t wait for the agency…yes I was extremely lucky, just happened to be available in the right place at the right time.

Best of luck matey

Tazbug

Ive done it sparingly Tazbug, in that when I’ve had a day off work which isnt very often. Holidays are shocking. By the time I usually finish work all the TM’s and office staff have usually gone home for the day. I have a week off in 3 weeks which is the last of my holidays. :frowning: So I will try and have a scout round again. As much as I get disheartened by all the knock back I still force myself to keep trying. I really don’t want to be doing the job I’m doing for the rest of my days. I’m sick of being miserable and being the scapegoat that everyone blames for any mistakes that happen. Driving is what I really want to do.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

funny how you were to ill to work for a " few years " till they stopped your benefit and suddenly your better again :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I know it’s a bit of a wait, but Santa is on his way :smiley:

Once the companies start ramping up for Christmas the agencies will be looking to get more drivers out there. I started doing last minute calls, to be at the depot in an hour and do whatever. It’s bit of a bind to begin with but if you can get them out of a hole then your name moves up their list.

Don’t get too dispondent things could be a lot worse, you still have a job to fall back on !

jessys dad, i started my training months ago! while i was on benefits, it was actually them who paid for it, geting back to work scheme, if that answers anything for ya :laughing:

Some company’s will pay a drivers-mate or passenger good ££ if the vehicle has a wide load.
The driver’s-mate doesn’t need to have a licence as he/she won’t be driving and will be covered on insurance.
One of our drivers takes his wife for just this purpose.

thanks duck for the good info :wink: , i went to my local adviser today at my local dole :angry: ,unfortunately they couldnt help me, as they only put people in placements of the likes of (joiners ,chippers) mechanics, plumbers etc, no lgv drivers, so the p.a, said anyway, so i said what if i get my own placement and the girl said it would be great idea, so if i get a company i could go out with, they would pay my normal dole money as usual and i would work for free for the haulier for 8 weeks, then if the haulier would take me on after that for 6 months the dole said they pay half my wages, but im thinking what if the haulier dont want to pay me, or no longer want me after 8 weeks, but i would even work the 6 months for free also, cause as we all know the experince is vaulable in this industrey, by then i should have my mod 4 plus experince, thanks for lisning guys. let me know what yous think, :slight_smile: