Could do with a bit of help

Hello all this may be in the wrong category which im sorry for and if so I will try to move it, anyway im after a little bit of advice im looking at starting an agency for hgv class one drivers only. This has come from my time with agency and I think they do not treat the drivers the best and I could do better for them and my self. Im not having a pop at all agency just some of the big ones who don’t really know what there doing e.g. no transport experience just young kids sat behind a desk answering phones and wondering were there going out tonight. (god I miss those days) so I need some help how to set up what do I need .I have the transport managers at different places in my book and ready to approach I have a couple of drivers who I know will go with my self some on a couple days at weekend others want a couple in the week and so on.

And also I know im going back and forth I want to give us drivers a better rate e.g. if the client is paying 14 pound ect an hour I want to us drivers as much of that as I can after our expenses but I know I can keep those a lot lower than other agency as I wont be employing a office full of staff just the bare minimum who know what there doing in the transport trade.
So please help with any advice you may have

Regards to you all

For a start £14 pound an hour is to much to charge some one to drive a truck. There is not the money in the game to warrant that kind of money. Go to the people you think you will get work from and ask them if they would use you and go from there

Junior.r124:
For a start £14 pound an hour is to much to charge some one to drive a truck.

I think that’s about what the agencies around me are charging, certainly last time I knew (which was 18mo ago and before the holiday pay laws changed which will make it dearer) the agency I did most of my work for was charging £13/hour basic (with time and a half after 8h and extra if you want driver negligence insurance).

Paul

Why not just phone a few agencies purporting to be a small haulier & ask what it would cost to get agency drivers in at differing times. i.e. days/nights/weekends?

A job for Rog perhaps?

£14 per hour is what agencies charge the client in the midlands with the drivers getting a pound less than that from the agency. That’s flat rate but i’m sure some agencies charge time and a half after 8 with a lower basic. Saturday’s is time and a half and Sunday’s and bank hols is double bubble.

thank you all for your replys will now start to get things down on paper and approaching firms.
regards

You probably need to look at the job and ask yourself, how much will a driver want paying to do it? Depending on where you are and the current pay rate of other agencies in the area, you can then work upwards, adding on your overheads, to arrive at a final charge figure. If your working from home your overheads aren’t going to be as much as a big companies with beamers, jags and office girls to pay so you can undercut their rate handsomely. Don’t forget though, you probably won’t get your hands on the money for at least 30,60 and sometimes 90 days and sometimes not at all, but you still have to pay the drivers!! Just like being a subbie really! Welcome to transport. Don’t forget NI, tax and WTD costs.