Coronavirus conundrum

Hi,

I am aware of the drivers hours rules relaxation but wanted an idea of how easily operators are using it. I work for a supplier to the construction industry, I have a load due to go 230 miles / 5 hours one way tomorrow and I would rather not have two men sat in the cab for that length of time. We don’t tramp but the opportunity to put the driver up in a hotel due to the current situation in is also a no go as far as I can see. While I’m sure some operators are using the relaxation rules willy nilly I am a bit concerned reading into the guidance as using the relaxations does have to be justified. Any advice would be appreciated.

Could this be a start to a “new” way of working. - can you relay it through a second haulier at the halfway point! In a way, having taken on the job, the challenge is now yours. Some hard decisions are going to have to be made

Thanks for the response, the load was originally taken on prior to the pandemic so unfortunately this was not foreseeable at that time. We produce the stock ourselves and our flatbeds are modified with support bars to hold the load, realistically it is only our competitors that would operate with this type of equipment but subcontracting the whole load out is definitely an option. Is the general consensus that using the temporary relaxation would not be deemed necessary in this instance?

Can’t your driver have a normal night out on the way back after delivering the load?

Maybe you don’t have properly set up vehicles for nights away in the current bizarre situation and maybe something you should be looking at because normality looks like being eons away, but if this load is important enough i’m sure you could persuade one of your drivers ( ie extra subsistence to help towards getting a takeway delivered to his motor) to stop out to get this job done.

The majority of our work is within the local area, sometimes we may have work that plans for 9 hours driving but this particular job has fallen beyond the normal regulatory limits for one driver. Having the driver sleep out in a 10 year old Atego is unfortunately not an option either, great suggestion but our fleet is not designed for it. I have asked a subcontractor if they can cover the work but if not I will speak with the driver about reaching an agreement to use the 11 hour driving limit under the relaxations. The relaxations are not limited to specific sectors or journeys and we will be operating on a case by case basis.

Juddian:
Can’t your driver have a normal night out on the way back after delivering the load?

Maybe you don’t have properly set up vehicles for nights away in the current bizarre situation and maybe something you should be looking at because normality looks like being eons away, but if this load is important enough i’m sure you could persuade one of your drivers ( ie extra subsistence to help towards getting a takeway delivered to his motor) to stop out to get this job done.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+1
no brainer.
work out with the driver how much of a bung he needs in his back pocket for helping you out and cracking on with the job.
if he wont,then find one that will,and make sure your original man gets all the crap work in the future till he leaves as he is of no use to you with that attitude.

One driver does 90% of the job.
He then stops an hour out of the yard and RDVs with a 2nd driver in a car. Not 2 people in same vehicle. He is still on duty driving car back, not rest or break.

If it’s 5 hours away then being able to do 11 hours in a day under the new regs surely makes this doable, plus with the lack of traffic you’ll probably find it’ll take less than 5 hours.

Why not sub the load out?

Might be easier depending on where you are?

Ken.

Load the truck, give driver the paperwork, wave him a cheerio, see you when you get back… It’s up to the driver what he does…

biggriffin:
Load the truck, give driver the paperwork, wave him a cheerio, see you when you get back… It’s up to the driver what he does…

^ This. What is the problem? A 10 hr drive is there for the using under even the normal regs. You’ve said it’s 230 miles which is ■■■■ all. Roads are dead. If he gets his toe down and stops being a whinging snowflake he’ll be back in the yard within 12 hours.

And why can’t he sleep in an Atego anyway? I did tramping in an FL10 wendy house for quite some time before having the “luxury” of upgrading to a 10 year old FM12 globetrotter and managed just fine.

Remind him that are currently tens of thousands of agency drivers currently desperate for any work they can get so if he’s not willing to get on with it then he’d best start looking for a new job.

First world problems…

R420:

biggriffin:

^ This. What is the problem? A 10 hr drive is there for the using under even the normal regs. You’ve said it’s 230 miles which is [zb] all. Roads are dead. If he gets his toe down and stops being a whinging snowflake he’ll be back in the yard within 12 hours.

And why can’t he sleep in an Atego anyway? I did tramping in an FL10 wendy house for quite some time before having the “luxury” of upgrading to a 10 year old FM12 globetrotter and managed just fine.

Remind him that are currently tens of thousands of agency drivers currently desperate for any work they can get so if he’s not willing to get on with it then he’d best start looking for a new job.

First world problems…

Give the driver a pay cut too.
Tell him he’s lucky to have a job, and make sure he tops up the tank with his own bank card.

Give him a rolled up piece of foam, tell him to get his wife to make him a flask, some sarnies and tell him to get going and phone you when he’s empty !
GS

GS OVERLAND:
Give him a rolled up piece of foam, tell him to get his wife to make him a flask, some sarnies and tell him to get going and phone you when he’s empty !
GS

Don’t forget the old cardboard boxes, to put up against the windows,and stuff cushion between the seat and gearstick, Many a night out in an old Merc 813 doing this… :smiley: