Cornish Companies

Buzzer

Buzzer

Following on from the recent thread of Devon Companies, and the interesting photos that have come to light, I thought I could start one for Cornish companies.
Does anyone have photos that they would like to post of any companies past or present that operate from Cornwall?
Any pics of the following companies would be particularly interesting to see:
Intercounty Distribution
Daveys of Launceston
M&S livestock
A S Mason & Sons
G K Mason
Jaspers Quality Foods
Ginsters
Westfield Transport

Thanks in advance
Sam

G’day,
here you go mate one to get you started,pic was taken at Exeter service in 1990,sorry I don’t know anything about them,she looks fairly heavy.

I have asked several times if anyone has any pictures of a Rex Congdon of Launceston F88.

Maybe this thread will get a little more local interest :sunglasses:

An old friend of mine drove for them until the early 80’s

Does anybody know of an owner driver from Cornwall called Dave Clark who used to run down to the Middle East in the eighties. I.I.R.C. Dave had a French motor a Berliet or a Saviem and then he had a Fiat, he always had the Cornish Flag on the back of the cab.

Good idea Sam,wish I could help with some on your list,heres a few to start with ,this should keep wheelnut happy :laughing:

88 HDV is ex Gregorys. :laughing:
88 GFJ is ex Thompsons. :laughing:
112 SAF is ex Dennis Oates. :laughing:

Cheers Bubbs. :wink:

Good idea Sam,wish I could help with some on your list,heres a few to start with ,this should keep wheelnut happy :laughing:

88 HDV is ex Gregorys. :laughing:
88 GFJ is ex Thompsons. :laughing:
112 SAF is ex Dennis Oates. :laughing:

Cheers Bubbs. :wink:

OOOOOPS

hi, no pics unfortunatly but my first job after passing hgv was with sunnybanks transport of liskeard they had a mixed fleet aec,volvo and 2 brand new leyland buffalo’s.i had an aec mamouth major doing forrestry work only there a few months anyone remember them?
steve. ps do they still do the indicator flashing at night??

My first job after leaving school was with West Cornwall Storage and Distribution who ran green and red ERF’s.
I spent 8 mths working in the yard,going out loading with drivers etc. until passing my test and was given a 307D Merc van.

Companies that WCSD worked closely with included,Dennis Oates,Westfields,Conway Bailey,LPStephens,Aldridges and A.R Newport who are all still runnung,and some companies that are no longer trading,such as, Hichens,Christopher Miners,Steve Underhill,Cooks of Cornwall,Marquands and Sid Knowles.

The best looking trucks that ran out of Cornwall IMO were the yellow 8 wheeler Fodens belonging to Suttons Fish who were based in Newlyn.
I have some photos but don’t know how to post.

Those Congdon motors were similar but im not sure if the all red one was Conways motor.

He lived in Howden and ran straw down to the West country.

Hi Davnic,
You have a PM.

Can anyone on here remember Bill Huddy from grampound road he used to do the markets a lot with greens i covered for him a couple of times and did loads for him up to birmingham and brentford, all on the floor no curtainsider 4 high ,rope down,then go back over with another layer at 4 high, great stuff even though it was knackering.

anyone remember CLIFFORD BASSETT had half a dozen rigids , used to load him with hay and straw as a kid in crantock in the mid seventies , ran bedfords a new tm at the time as i recall

there’s some Davey’s pics in a thread of their own around here somewhere :wink:

edit to add :

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=38381&p=472578&hilit=davey#p472578

bob-lad:
anyone remember CLIFFORD BASSETT had half a dozen rigids , used to load him with hay and straw as a kid in crantock in the mid seventies , ran bedfords a new tm at the time as i recall

He packed up running his own lorries in the late 80’s.IIRC he drove milk tankers locally for Wincanton,then had a spell as Transport manager for Univeg running out of Penzance.For the past few years he has been driving a tipper for C.I.B Lello but has recently retired.

Anybody remember Bugle Transport use to see them in convoy on a sunday night loaded with clay.

Wasn’t it Bugle Transport who ran a Transconti’ named ‘THE SATANIST’. :imp: :imp:
Had 666 across the grill in chrome figures.

No one as mentioned NJ Grose of St Austell, i can remember their Atki Borders, SA 400 and Mercs, always looked well turned out.