cork

have been told I will be going to cork (s.ireland) on Thursday evening sailing from stranraer 7.5 t .anyone got any tips /hints or even warnings ?. I have driven Europe a number of times but never driven in Ireland .are there showers available on the ferry ? a meal ? I understand fuel was cheaper in the south is it still ? can I spend £s or should I take euro ? … I did a lads weekend in Dublin (flew) some years ago but its just a blur . thanks in advance

syramax:
have been told I will be going to cork (s.ireland) on Thursday evening sailing from stranraer 7.5 t .anyone got any tips /hints or even warnings ?. I have driven Europe a number of times but never driven in Ireland .are there showers available on the ferry ? a meal ? I understand fuel was cheaper in the south is it still ? can I spend £s or should I take euro ? … I did a lads weekend in Dublin (flew) some years ago but its just a blur . thanks in advance

If your sailing from Stranraer to the north, Larne I take it, you have some drive ahead of you, I would be very surprised if you do it in 9-10 hrs. Take euros if you ca, ya will get short changed with sterling, you can wash on ferry, plus should get a good mean in the freight longe inboard. Take it easy on the roads, some can be very hairy especially if your heading to west cork

you wont be able to use sterling down in cork euro only, get use to tools being out in the fast lane holding you up, and people in the slow lane holding you up haha, i think the price of diesel is equal enough between north and south, if your sailing to larne you have quiet a spin ahead if you, but you will have motorway nearly all the way if you go via belfast-dublin-cork,

What everyone else says only euros in s.ireland pal, take cash as the motoways are tolled and only a few take card, however m50 going east/west bounnd has a camera toll in which you need to pay at a petrol station by 8pm the next day iirc. You can bypass some of the tolls I think, most of the time the motoways are empty

Its been a little time since i went from Stranraer but the last time i did, you will get a code on your ticket for crossing which should get you into the drivers lounge, the last time i went that was a free meal and pretty much refills after too so get your fill. There wasn’t any showers though if i remember rightly.

An just a heads up watch out for some of the more “quicker” drivers along that A75 racing for the ferry.

someone else is going now (I can enjoy the weekend :smiley: ) but many thanks to the guys that posted ,much appreciated :smiley: