Coolbox

The mrs has picked me up a coolbox 12v to take to work as I’m starting with a new company tomorrow and will be in one of the older wagons which I expect won’t have a fridge fitted.

I’ve never used one before and just wanted to know a few things from the people who have used them.

Are they really suitable to be keeping things like raw meats?

Or are they only suitable to keep your milk and drinks chilled?

In terms of powering it should it be left plugged in through the night or not?

Obviously if I’ve got things like sausages and bacon in it turning it off at night isn’t going to be very good but I don’t want to be causing any electrical damage to the truck, waking up to dead batts or melting plugs etc.

I just want to make sure I don’t ■■■■ anything up on my first week :slight_smile:

Make sure it gets plugged into a 12v socket if it’s a 12v item. They usually work about 18 degrees below ambient temperature. So if it’s 20 degrees outside, will run at 2 degrees. OK for milk and most chilled foods.

bigvern1:
Make sure it gets plugged into a 12v socket if it’s a 12v item. They usually work about 18 degrees below ambient temperature. So if it’s 20 degrees outside, will run at 2 degrees. OK for milk and most chilled foods.

Yeah I knew that bit about the running temps. I checked it online and it’s manufacturer says it runs at 30 below ambient. So I shouldn’t have any trouble with the temps as the highest we’ve seen just lately is around 32 ish.

I’m just a bit concerned about it being plugged in over night.

I usually leave mine plugged in all day, and into the evening, then unplug before i go to bed, and its still cold inside when i get up in the morning, a 4 pinter of milk lasted me a over week on a trip down to Pisa two weeks ago, same sort of temps as we’ve been having over here, as always though, older truck sometimes means older batteries which may not be in the best condition, so it could be worthwhile running your engine for a short period before you go to bed

leave mine plugged in overnight,no problems, really depends on how good the truck batteries are. If they arn`t the best then it may well flatten them. I would play safe and unplug it before you get your head down for the night.

Thanks, I think best bet would be to unplug it before bed and I’ll see how it feels the next morning before I put meats in it.

I always run the engine for 5 minutes before bed anyway as I use my laptop and stuff. I’d rather burn a little diesel than have to make that dreaded call to base lol.

What will you be driving? Don’t leave it in if you’re in a van. :wink:

It’s my first break on class 1. I got both licences about 2 1/2 years ago but up till now I’ve only done class 2 work.

I’m going to be driving a Volvo FM for now.

I would be interested to hear how the cool box gets on through the week. Keep me posted.

Can I ask where it came from and how much please?

Maybe try leaving it on over night in the yard, I did use one in my last lorry but never left it on over night, don’t think I’d trust raw meat in it tbh.

stevo101:
I would be interested to hear how the cool box gets on through the week. Keep me posted.

Can I ask where it came from and how much please?

The mrs bought it off gumtree for £60 mate, you can get cheap ones for £40 in halfords but I’ve heard back stories about their quality

Shoshaye:
don’t think I’d trust raw meat in it tbh.

I’ve got the same concern mate :S

Put a couple of big blocks of ice wrapped tightly in sealed plastic bags in the bottom.
It stays cold for days.
And bacon frozen and sealed on a Mon morn survives well until thurs …or it did for me.

Graeme leaves his plugged in and I left mine in too when I had his truck. Before that I had a Merc and a Scania and never had a problem leaving it running overnight in either. Fresh meat would be ok til Wednesday

Ahh, I miss that fridge…

All the best for tomorrow mate