Coolbox (evercool)

I have a coolbox in my truck and was wondering about leaving it on all night, and also over the weekend. would like to know what you do with your coolbox. reading the instructions it says it used roughly 72w of power. advice on this would be appreciated.

All night ok if you have good batteries, all weekend is a no-no. 72w is like leaving one-and-a-half headlights on.

Maybe try one of them solar panels that you put on dashboard, not sure how much power they supply or if it will be enough to run a coolbox or not. I did have one but gave it away, so can’t look for details. I used to use it to keep my leisure battery trickle fed, yes it is winter but they don’t rely on sun its about uv rays and we get them even with rain! ps if you do switch off cooler make sure you leave door/top? /open/off as it will go mouldy otherwise.

left mine on over a weekend by mistake, and was greeted with flat batteries on the monday morning :unamused:

SamIam:
Maybe try one of them solar panels that you put on dashboard, not sure how much power they supply or if it will be enough to run a coolbox or not.

For all the good those things do, you may as well put a Weetabix box on your dashboard. :wink:

Harry Monk:

SamIam:
Maybe try one of them solar panels that you put on dashboard, not sure how much power they supply or if it will be enough to run a coolbox or not.

For all the good those things do, you may as well put a Weetabix box on your dashboard. :wink:

:open_mouth: Surely you mean a box of rIce crispies to keep things cool :stuck_out_tongue:

TonyCBR:
left mine on over a weekend by mistake, and was greeted with flat batteries on the monday morning :unamused:

lol. point taken

i have the halfords big 40 ltr one and it stays on all day and night. mon to fri. with no probs.
i do unplug it when i finish for the weekend though.

the only problem you have then really is getting the coolbox up to temperature on a Monday. :frowning:

Seems a strange question for the time year? Just stick the stuff on the enclosed step or behind the roof air dam.
Unless ofcourse you’re lucky enough to be running to somewhere much warmer :grimacing:

With all the electrical accessories on/available for trucks these days isn’t about time (actually, its far more than time) they started fitting them with one or more seperate leisure batteries on a split charger system like boats and motor homes have?
So it doesn’t matter if you completely drain them because the engine cannot and does not pull starting power from it.

It is possible to get a battery management system fitted where it gives a warning when batteries are getting down to minimum voltage required for starting. Shortly after that it cuts off all accessories.

Remember too at this time of year that at below freezing a battery’s efficiency depreciates rapidly - a fact quite a few of you will be finding out within the next few weeks :wink:

Edit: Incidentally BP do a solar panel that produces 80 watts @ 12v around £300.

greggy:
i have the halfords big 40 ltr one and it stays on all day and night. mon to fri. with no probs.
i do unplug it when i finish for the weekend though.

I went into Halfords to enquire about purchasing one as was told they didn’t do them! :unamused:

Was it 24v :question:

scotlad:
I have a coolbox in my truck and was wondering about leaving it on all night, and also over the weekend. would like to know what you do with your coolbox. reading the instructions it says it used roughly 72w of power. advice on this would be appreciated.

Ive got the evercool fridge mine stays on all week but defo off if away from the motor more than 24 hrs, if you have the option run it on 24v it holds temp a lot better. I left mine on over the weekend once and was greeted monday with flat bats and a bollocking off the gaffer. :blush:

jimmi:

scotlad:

Ive got the evercool fridge mine stays on all week but defo off if away from the motor more than 24 hrs, if you have the option run it on 24v it holds temp a lot better. I left mine on over the weekend once and was greeted monday with flat bats and a bollocking off the gaffer. :blush:

Ive got an evercool that runs 12 and 24 volt, I always run it on 24 as it has less drain on the batteries and the plug doesnt get very hot. On 12 volt the plug is almost at melting point!