Cool box plug

I have a 12 volt coolbox and it keeps melting the plug on it. I’am thinking about putting a hella plug on it to see if that’s any better .The
problem with putting a hella plug on it is there is no fuse in it .Will it matter or would you put an inline fuse on it.

This is the bloody thing
amazon.co.uk/d/Cooler-Bags/ … lt+coolbox

The Hella plug will work much better as it’s designed to cope with a greater current draw. If it’s a factory fit, it will already be fused from the factory. If not, just fit a suitable in-line fuse.

fingermissing:
I have a 12 volt coolbox and it keeps melting the plug on it. I’am thinking about putting a hella plug on it to see if that’s any better .The
problem with putting a hella plug on it is there is no fuse in it .Will it matter or would you put an inline fuse on it.

This is the bloody thing
amazon.co.uk/d/Cooler-Bags/ … lt+coolbox

You are not plugging it into a 24v socket . . . . are you ?

You are not plugging it into a 24v socket . . . . are you ?
[/quote]
No its pluged in to a 12 volt .Its a daf xf

Have you tested the 12v socket is actually 12v
Those smoke genies are sneaky. I fried my box this year by sticking it in 24v, as a limper the one thing I’ve found ideal is a £0.99 plug in LED tester that I can stick in the ciggie socket & shows the output of the socket

It is plugged in to this and it show you the volts .Its shows around 12.5 volts.

ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Way-Multi- … 2749.l2649

So it’s just the plug getting hot?

Is the wiring inside the plug making good contact between cable and pin? Maybe poor contact will cause a localised hotspot?
Maybe use a soldered joint in there rather than a screw clamp?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Franglais:
So it’s just the plug getting hot?

Is the wiring inside the plug making good contact between cable and pin? Maybe poor contact will cause a localised hotspot?
Maybe use a soldered joint in there rather than a screw clamp?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Yes just the plug getting hot .I’ve gone through 3 plugs .

If the plug was fitted to the box then I’d begin to suspect a fault in the coolbox. Sounds like its pulling way too much power and its a decent make so shouldn’t be causing issues generally. Do the cables get warm too?

Forgot, does it state a wattage / amps rating on the back if the unit? It’ll likely give one for 12v and one for 240v.

trevHCS:
If the plug was fitted to the box then I’d begin to suspect a fault in the coolbox. Sounds like its pulling way too much power and its a decent make so shouldn’t be causing issues generally. Do the cables get warm too?

Forgot, does it state a wattage / amps rating on the back if the unit? It’ll likely give one for 12v and one for 240v.

Dose this mean any thing

DC 12 V
AC 220V-240-50Hz/60Hz
47w (dc12v)
MAX 55 W CAC 230 V
7.5 W (AC/ECO-MODE_)

fingermissing:
Dose this mean any thing

DC 12 V
AC 220V-240-50Hz/60Hz
47w (dc12v)
MAX 55 W CAC 230 V
7.5 W (AC/ECO-MODE_)

47 watt on 12v is approx a 4 amp draw so a normal plug should be able to handle it ok, So looks like either a plug or socket fault, go the Hella route if you can though …

I swapped mine for a hella plug in an XF and didn’t have any problems with it.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk