Cooking

Nobby_Clarke:

Radar19:
Personally I’d be a bit wary of running it on a 300W. In an ideal world, your inverter should output double the requirements of what you are plugging into it. They should follow the same principle of PSU’s. They are most efficient at 50% load. Running something close to its max continuous output can stress out the internals.

I’d be wary of running it that close too. 500W or bigger. As has been said before,why don’t sleeper cabs have a leisure battery/split charge/1000W inverter as standard?

Because its an extra and that costs money.

wrighty1:

Radar19:

wrighty1:
Good point it would seem that I am a “halfwit” for not thinking of that :wink:

They are pretty safe, you’d have to be really silly with one to actually get it to blow up. I think mine cost £15 from Halfords with 2 cans of gas. Its great for reheating home cooked meals. Savoury mince, chilli, Spagbol. Toss in some of that Uncle Bens microwavable rice and you’ve got yourself a good meal. Certainly beats KFC everyday.

Radar19:

Nobby_Clarke:

Radar19:
Personally I’d be a bit wary of running it on a 300W. In an ideal world, your inverter should output double the requirements of what you are plugging into it. They should follow the same principle of PSU’s. They are most efficient at 50% load. Running something close to its max continuous output can stress out the internals.

I’d be wary of running it that close too. 500W or bigger. As has been said before,why don’t sleeper cabs have a leisure battery/split charge/1000W inverter as standard?

He has a point though.
Fridges are extras, but most firms spec them now, well apart from mine that is.
A Rob’ Trucking tales anecdote on this for you :smiley:

A girl was in Carnforth truckstop pricing up a fridge for her driver husband for his birthday. The guy behind her in the queue says ‘‘It must be a poor firm he works for, love I thought that most firms provided them nowadays’’ the girl looked around, got a surprise, instantly recognised him, and said …‘‘Well he works for you actually’’ :laughing:
(a well known walking floor outfit)
They spec fridges now. :smiley:

I use gas hob , and as said it’s ok with common sense which some don’t have :laughing: :laughing:
But got an 3kw inverter and 600w micro wave ready to fit when I get new truck or decide to stay in this one

Radar19:

Nobby_Clarke:

Radar19:

So do Kelsa lightbars and alloy wheels :smiley:

robroy:

Radar19:

Nobby_Clarke:

Radar19:

He has a point though.
Fridges are extras, but most firms spec them now, well apart from mine that is.
A Rob’ Trucking tales anecdote on this for you :smiley:

A girl was in Carnforth truckstop pricing up a fridge for her driver husband for his birthday. The guy behind her in the queue says ‘‘It must be a poor firm he works for, love I thought that most firms provided them nowadays’’ the girl looked around, got a surprise, instantly recognised him, and said …‘‘Well he works for you actually’’ :laughing:
(a well known walking floor outfit)
They spec fridges now. :smiley:

Our lot got these bog standard G series Scania’s Highlines, originally meant for shift work but some drivers started tramping in them. They don’t have under bed fridge draws like the older 63 plate Topliners and the Highline rigids. Instead of paying Scania to fit them with proper fridges they went and bought a lot of box fridges. They are big but you know the Highlines don’t have that much room in them. Drivers have to shift them from the bunk to the seat every night because that is the only place they can go.

I used one of those gas stoves that have like an aerosol of gas in it, when I took all my kit out to get my new truck.
It was fine, but I did get paranoid anout the gas tin, so much so that I kept it on the catwalk while sleeping.
I remembered in the 80s pre night heater days, when many lads used them as night heaters…and did not wake up.

Radar19:
Our lot got these bog standard G series Scania’s Highlines, originally meant for shift work but some drivers started tramping in them. They don’t have under bed fridge draws like the older 63 plate Topliners and the Highline rigids. Instead of paying Scania to fit them with proper fridges they went and bought a lot of box fridges. They are big but you know the Highlines don’t have that much room in them. Drivers have to shift them from the bunk to the seat every night because that is the only place they can go.

Don’t knock it mate, at least they bought you them.
Our lot would not fit heaters if they were optional and they could get the truck cheaper. :smiley:
Don’t want to go into old git mode here, but if you think the Scania H line is bad, try 5 nights out across the seats in a day cab.
During the war we…
:laughing:

robroy:
I used one of those gas stoves that have like an aerosol of gas in it, when I took all my kit out to get my new truck.
It was fine, but I did get paranoid anout the gas tin, so much so that I kept it on the catwalk while sleeping.
I remembered in the 80s pre night heater days, when many lads used them as night heaters…and did not wake up.

Carbon Monoixide poisoning. If for some reason you left the gas on, open both your doors. The gas is heavier than air and pools in the footwells.

robroy:

Radar19:

Don’t knock it mate, at least they bought you them.
Our lot would not fit heaters if they were optional and they could get the truck cheaper. :smiley:
Don’t want to go into old git mode here, but if you think the Scania H line is bad, try 5 nights out across the seats in a day cab.
During the war we…
:laughing:

I’m not knocking the Highlines, I’ve tramped in one of those sleeper pods bolted to a 7.5t bone shaker. The Highline is a palace compared to that thing. The night heater on that didn’t work, doing Scotland in the winter was not fun.

Adonis.:

wrighty1:
Why don’t you want to use gas? Cheap, readily available and massively versatile.

Slow cookers. Throw a load of stuff in in the morning, leave to slow cook all day, nice hot stew waiting for you at teatime.

I’ve seen 24v truck ovens that plug into the cigar plug.
The one I saw had 9 Ltr capacity. Two 150w elements one on top and one on the bottom. Just the top one on was good for toasted stuff. When both were used it could be used to heat up food,soups and all kinds of frozen foods. This one cost about £60.

If you want a small compact gas stove try this,more stable as gas is separate and heats food and a kettle quickly,( boiled a kettle quickly last time we used it chucking down with rain in North Yorkshire using rucksacks as windbreaks lol,so in a warm dry cab shouldn’t be a problem).

sportswarehouse.co.uk/vango- … GkIZHwgGK0

I use one of these with a gas conversion. Not cheap but completely reliable and very safe. I’ve used it for more camping trips than I can remember and it has been with me tramping for the last 20 months. As I said, not cheap but I’ve definitely had my money’s worth out of it.

sportswarehouse.co.uk/trangi … GkKf9WnzqA

Big Joe105:
The one I saw had 9 Ltr capacity. Two 150w elements one on top and one on the bottom. Just the top one on was good for toasted stuff. When both were used it could be used to heat up food,soups and all kinds of frozen foods. This one cost about £60.

These are the way forward, £44 from most truckstops. 3 meals for a tenner from marks and Spencer’s on the services and away you go, I use mine everyday and don’t know what I’d do without now, 6 of us have them at our place and all swear by them

madiganzo:

Big Joe105:

These are the way forward, £44 from most truckstops. 3 meals for a tenner from marks and Spencer’s on the services and away you go, I use mine everyday and don’t know what I’d do without now, 6 of us have them at our place and all swear by them

Same as these bud?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m very much a member of the “can’t cook, won’t cook” club. If I had a dodgy appendix I’m sure I could find a nice you tube video demonstrating how I could easily remove it, but call me old fashioned in that I’d prefer to let a surgeon do the job. For that reason when I want food I go to a pub or restaurant where I pay someone qualified to do my cooking for me. Life’s too short.

Do any of you lads use the 700 watt forman grills?
Im looking for an inverter capable of powering mine,As you can knock up some pretty healthy dishes in minutes on them …

Cov:
Im looking for an inverter capable of powering mine,As you can knock up some pretty healthy dishes in minutes on them …

Do have a couple of fire extinguishers handy?

peirre:

Cov:

Do have a couple of fire extinguishers handy?

Uh■■?