Cooking WITH Trucks

A 15-20 year ago I used the heat of the truck to heat up some foood in Emergency, or just when I was plain hungry.

For example, I would build from my road maps and oven at the windscreen, cover al the openings with maps and leave one uncovered, build like a “house” over that one, put the heating on the windscreen full blast, full heat (preferably in the winter :unamused: )
Put some sausage rolls in kitchen foil and heat the rolls for 40 minutes or so, a nice warm snack with no effort while driving.

The night heater was used for similar things, and I put my washing bottle in front of it overnight so that there was warm water in the morning to wash my face etc.

The other trick was, we use to buy complete meals in oval tins (in Holland they where made by a company called Struik) they where not cheap but a brilliant back-up.
Because I use to go every night for a meal, I didn’t cook much, and for that reason I didn’t want to carry gas, pots and pans with me.
However the Volvo F10 I drove at that time (yes for VdB) didn’t have a stack, but a normal exhaust near the floor.
The tins of Struik fitted exactly in the exhaust.
The recipe was 5mins at 1000revs than turn around and another 4 mins at 800revs and the food was boiling hot, gloves on to pull it from the exhaust and a quick wipe to clean to soot off.

If you where stocked somewhere it was a brilliant solution for something warm in your belly :grimacing:

Of course sometime did you forget that it was in the exhaust and the tin would explode and cover the inners from the exhaust with some beans from your chilli or so. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Are there more people who had some solutions like that or would do something similar??
Maybe there are some good tips for current and future long distance pilots :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

A guy I worked with at Trans UK used to have a Chinese take-away at least one night a week,and any leftovers he used to keep in the foil containers and tied them to the exhaust manifold (V8 Maggie) the following afternoon so they were nice and hot for that evening.

caledoniandream:
A 15-20 year ago I used the heat of the truck to heat up some foood in Emergency, or just when I was plain hungry.

For example, I would build from my road maps and oven at the windscreen, cover al the openings with maps and leave one uncovered, build like a “house” over that one, put the heating on the windscreen full blast, full heat (preferably in the winter :unamused: )
Put some sausage rolls in kitchen foil and heat the rolls for 40 minutes or so, a nice warm snack with no effort while driving.

The night heater was used for similar things, and I put my washing bottle in front of it overnight so that there was warm water in the morning to wash my face etc.

The other trick was, we use to buy complete meals in oval tins (in Holland they where made by a company called Struik) they where not cheap but a brilliant back-up.
Because I use to go every night for a meal, I didn’t cook much, and for that reason I didn’t want to carry gas, pots and pans with me.
However the Volvo F10 I drove at that time (yes for VdB) didn’t have a stack, but a normal exhaust near the floor.
The tins of Struik fitted exactly in the exhaust.
The recipe was 5mins at 1000revs than turn around and another 4 mins at 800revs and the food was boiling hot, gloves on to pull it from the exhaust and a quick wipe to clean to soot off.

If you where stocked somewhere it was a brilliant solution for something warm in your belly :grimacing:

Of course sometime did you forget that it was in the exhaust and the tin would explode and cover the inners from the exhaust with some beans from your chilli or so. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Are there more people who had some solutions like that or would do something similar??
Maybe there are some good tips for current and future long distance pilots :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

:open_mouth: :astonished: :astonished: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

switchlogic
FROM HERE
:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWFIpFQUWEo

ROG:

switchlogic
FROM HERE
:

yeah but i dont think thats what the OP is aiming at ROG, cooking food without the use of gas etc etc :smiley:

wrap food in tin foil and strap it to the inside of the afterburner on a DAF is always a good way of cooking food :smiley: :smiley:

A bloke I worked with years ago would buy two kebabs, eat one and leave the other next to the night heater and hey presto a warm donner for brekky next morning :open_mouth:

Not a truck but stck a pasty/pie wrapped in foil on the manifold of our forager at work, and by the time you’ve filled the 12t trailer (approx 2-3 mins) it’s warmed perfect. Mind you get some funny looks from the farmers when we do it :smiley:

All you need is a frying pan and somewhere to sit, and hey presto - the perfect hob!!

Back in the “Good Old Days”,and about an hour or so before I was due to get parked up, I would put a tin of Hunters Steak and Kidney Pudding , and a tin of Potatoes, and a tin of peas, on the exhaust manifold. Then when I got parked up and sorted out, I would settle down to my 3 course 6000 Calorie meal. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Which I ate with half a loaf of bread. Yum Yum!! :laughing: :laughing: I used to have this every day, coz I luvved it :slight_smile: :slight_smile: I never got to be a 25stone Lard-arse, :unamused: ( I never weighed more than 12 stone),because of all the handball and roping and sheeting that I used to do at the time . :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

We arent allowed gas after one of our drivers (whos on TNUK) blew himself up!

However, most have microwaves and the latest idea is a George
Foreman grill which due to peer pressure, I will be buying soon!!

ROG:

switchlogic
FROM HERE
:

Bloody hell Switch, you must be the poshest V8 driver I’ve never met ! :open_mouth: :wink:

Once pierced a can of curry and wedged it on top of the exhaust (big shiny silencer on a daf). Drove from blandford forum to near worksop, looking forward to my lunch to find it’s barely luke warm. Ah well, better try somewhere else!

bowserman:
We arent allowed gas after one of our drivers (whos on TNUK) blew himself up!

However, most have microwaves and the latest idea is a George
Foreman grill which due to peer pressure, I will be buying soon!!

You have a moral obligation to name and shame sir! :laughing:

the water bottle in front of the night heater blower is very good for a hot wash in the morning, used that trick many a time :smiley: