Cooking in truck?

when i first started trucking i met an owner driver from peterboro on tankers and he said he only had one rule

If the job doesn’t pay enough to buy a decent meal every day you’re in the wrong job :wink: :wink:

welshboyinspain:
when i first started trucking i met an owner driver from peterboro on tankers and he said he only had one rule

If the job doesn’t pay enough to buy a decent meal every day you’re in the wrong job :wink: :wink:

find me that job i,ll start tomorrow.

scotty1972:
Well after blowing my wagon and self up using a camping stove …

:open_mouth:

Er, what happened, Scotty ?!

pah

On Destination Doha they where doing chips!! And fried eggs and bacon
in Cab!!!

So far the 24v oven sounds the best suggestion. If worried about battery drainage just leave it running whilst the oven is on. (assuming its not midnight in the middle of busy truckstop!).

Didn’t notice the mention of it in the army rations link, but isn’t there something that you snap & it then provides heat for a few hours?

Anybody who tramps all week, every week, can save quite a lot of ££ by having a cook up a few times a week.

Edit: what about these? Error 404 - Not found

Best bet is to get a proper fridge, not one of those cool boxes. If you can’t get to a hot meal have a cold one. Apart from that, get another job with a firm who’s boss has more important boxes to tick than drivers personal equipment. I can understand firms like Tesco gobbing off about what’s what but their drivers never go anywhere, so it don’t matter. As for tramping jobs, take anything you want and if the boss doesn’t like it, get a new boss. If your tramping around all week you don’t have to work for the local haulier, your not coming home till Fri/Sat anyway. I’ve been driving 32yrs and have only worked for two local firms totaling two & half years, the rest of them are spread far and wide. I chase the interesting job for job satisfaction, not the money or where head office is located.

Personally I carry a fridge filled with bread, butter, milk, corn beef, tinned fish, cheese, ham, pre-boiled eggs and an assortment of weird stuff like lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, olives, chillies, oranges, apples and tinnies of Stella, a gas bottle, kettle and ten gallon water ■■■■.

bit of topic but can never understand why operaters will spend 60k on a truck and not spec a 500 quid fridge,the only thing i reakon is all trucks without a fridge must b bought up north as there tight as … :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

monarch of the highway:
bit of topic but can never understand why operaters will spend 60k on a truck and not spec a 500 quid fridge,the only thing i reakon is all trucks without a fridge must b bought up north as there tight as … :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

and a bit more ££ gets a professionally fitted microwave ! surely that’s better than cookers being randomly plugged in !!

monarch of the highway:

£500 x say 50 trucks = an irrecoverable £25,000. Just maybe the boss thinks that’s better in his pocket, or share holder dividends, than your truck!

when the likes of witherspoons do a choice of currys and a pint for a fiver,as do most eateries every night of the week,why the hell people wanna spend more time sitting in the cab cooking is beyond me.i think its cheaper to go out,whats more,i think after 15 hours or whatever in the hutch,i deserve to be let out for a hop around!!.

I suspect my perspective is a bit different, but I have had a 1750 watt inverter since I have been out here. When I moved firm, it took a while to get it fitted and I missed it like mad. I had my gas stove but that was not the same. Although the perc makes stronger coffee, it is too much hassle. And I got fed up with heating cans of processed food in the footwell. That takes an hour and you end up sweating like hell because of the need for the heater running full bore, although it does work if you settle the can in your jacket under the vent. I survived all of last years winter roads that way… :smiley:

So I have a slow cooker, a 700 watt microwave, a rice cooker/steamer, a coffee maker. I don’t like paying $4 for a sandwich, and the truckstops are a bit far apart once you get up north. Without the appliances, I would be lost.

But I have to say, if your boss doesn’t want you cooking in the cab, which would appear to be the case, then I think he should foot the bill for you.

Not sure, but I think that saying that any direct connection to the batteries will mess up the system is unture as long as the engine is running.