Cooking in the cab

Grumpy Dad:
You’ll be talking about carboxyhemoglobin and the way it attacks and kills the cells and tissues, common symptoms are very much like a bad hangover :wink:

Basic first aid and common signs of acute carbon monoxide poisoning should be
taught to drivers or at least make them aware.
One of the minor symptoms is tiredness and wether it’s induced by cooker use or a leaking manifold, the symptoms will increase over time, and falling asleep at the wheel could be fatal to more than just the driver.

Didn’t want to introduce too many big words all at once for fear of setting off some of the usual suspects…

Yes, I’ve been asking our lot to give us a First Aid course as one of our DCPC sessions.

would also be nice if mod can tell us where the delete button is… :smiley: anyway i always used a gas cooker, as did many drivers and some still do. Back in the day when we had trailer boxes, my cooker was in there , a tad cold sometimes when standing outside, but never any issues…why even many EE drivers cook outside, albeit with a cardboard box suitably placed to stop wind from blowing it out…microwaves wasnt invented back in the day and nor electric kettles, and air con…to name a few…but all it takes is common sense…and nothing to do with whether a company takes a drivers safety seriously or not, more about protecting their equipment, If a company does not allow cooking stoves in the cab…then its their duty to supply whats needed…or double the night out money to enable drivers to eat in restaurants/cafes.

truckyboy:
microwaves wasnt invented back in the day

I suspect when you say “invented” you meant to say “commercially available” - the microwave oven was invented around 1946…

Roymondo:

truckyboy:
microwaves wasnt invented back in the day

I suspect when you say “invented” you meant to say “commercially available” - the microwave oven was invented around 1946…

Wasn’t it ‘48 a year after Roswell :laughing: ( no alien emoji )

All our sleeper cabs had CO2 alarms fitted .
I think you will find that most of the problems with the gas stoves have been down to ill fitting / or incorrect fitting of gas canisters or failed seals .
I used the large aerosol type gas cookers for many years . Firstly on fishing and motorsport trips then on trucking when I worked the distance and EU trips .
This type of cooker will leak if the canisters are not disconnected properly . I always removed the canister between use .
90% of the time the cooker was used in the open air .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

grumpyken52:
All our sleeper cabs had CO2 alarms fitted .

Or even CO alarms…?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

In 2000 i worked for a firm where one of the drivers kept a big gas bottle in the footwell of a FL10. He didn’t know it was slightly leaking and next morning he woke up and lit a ■■■, he was blown clean out of the cab and ended up in a bad way in hospital. I left the firm soon after so I didn’t know if he recovered.

Maybe the bottles are safer now but I wouldn’t keep one in the cab.

Roymondo…thanks for the correction… :smiley:

Truckyboy and anyone else interested in the ignore/block feature, if you click on the name of the person you wish to block, you will be taken to their profile, if you’re using the tapatalk app then hit the three little dots in the top right corner and a drop down box will appear, if you’re using a browser it’s the same, but instead of three dots you have a tab that says add foe, click on that and you’ll never see anything they post again.