Cooking in the cab

newmercman:
I think you’ll find that most of the suffocation cases are from using a stove for heating, rather than cooking.

Any deaths etc are rarely due to suffocation - rather they are the result of carbon monoxide poisoning

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Suffocation is the result of asphyxiation, lack of oxygen to the brain. That’s how carbon monoxide poisoning kills you. But I see your point, which is what I was trying to say anyway.

Grumpy Dad:

Sploom:
The gas stoves are so efficient but it is a worry that something could go wrong, it would be interesting to know the circumstances that caused it to expode

It was outside the Grandstand Coke warehouse at J41 Wakefield, happened a few months before I started my very short stobbart stint, we were told by at the induction the driver had clipped the cooker while pottering about in his cab getting ready, stepped out of the cab to close the trailer doors and his morning call of nature, opened the door to get back in with a cig in his mouth and the gas ignited, was supposed to have thrown him out.
Wasn’t there so didn’t witness it.

True or not that’s a ■■■■ good story and i’m going to use it. :sunglasses: :smiley:

If anybody is worried about dying from carbon monoxide poisoning just buy yourself one of these. I’ve got one at home and one in the truck. 10 to 15 quid on amazon.

nomiS36:
If anybody is worried about dying from carbon monoxide poisoning just buy yourself one of these. I’ve got one at home and one in the truck. 10 to 15 quid on amazon.

Not much use if your gas canister explodes though. That’s why a lot of firms ban their use.

UKtramp:

nomiS36:

Not much use if your gas canister explodes though. That’s why a lot of firms ban their use.

Yeah I know but I’m just saying if anybody is worried about being poisoned.
If for some reason you’re worried about being burnt alive…get a microwave [emoji3]

nomiS36:

10 to 15 quid for a can of Stella? Bloody hell!

I used to use those cheap stoves with the cylinder horizontal until one of mine caught fire - apparently the seals on these fail quite regularly. Fortunately it was outside but was quite a big jet of fire coming out from it. I have since changed to campingaz stoves and never cook in the can any more

What a load of crap, is it the gas bottle you have at home for the barbecue that you have in your cab.
Its either that or you must be sniffing it straight from the bottle up your nose
It just gets worse here with the stupidity of some people like a small cooking gas bottle will kill you
Yes it will if you put it up your nose no it won’t even if it leaks
Its common sense how to use equipment like this but as as expected it goes over most people’s head I often wonder is it only truck drivers who are brain dead

newmercman:
Suffocation is the result of asphyxiation, lack of oxygen to the brain. That’s how carbon monoxide poisoning kills you. But I see your point, which is what I was trying to say anyway.

Wrong way around, suffocation can lead to asphyxiation.
Asphyxiation is the lack of oxygen in the body.
Suffocation is a lack of air entering the body, air is processed in the lungs by a process called gaseous exchange and oxygen passes into the blood and around the body.

And now you know why I drive a lorry for a living.

newmercman:

Was stung to being promoted to section medic, general first aid doesn’t really cover the ■■■■ that can happen while on a patrol

The bloke in Zeebrugge was killed with a fire and a gas canister exploding, he had been out on the beer.

My lorry had 2 full sized gas cylinders for the gas fired night heater. I also had an Electrolux Fridge that had a gas cylinder attached. I’m still here too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember hearing horror stories in the 80s when some guys used to use them as nightheaters. :unamused:
Whether they were actually true or not, I aint sure.

Grumpy Dad:

newmercman:

Was stung to being promoted to section medic, general first aid doesn’t really cover the [zb] that can happen while on a patrol

Doesn’t the phrase “walk it off” cover most ailments?

newmercman:

Grumpy Dad:

newmercman:

Was stung to being promoted to section medic, general first aid doesn’t really cover the [zb] that can happen while on a patrol

Doesn’t the phrase “walk it off” cover most ailments?

Along with the stitching yourself up Rambo style :wink:

I used to have the canister type but changed for this

tgsindustrial.co.uk/leisure … gLGgfD_BwE

When I did use the canister type alway put safety catch on & removed gas from cooker so no leaks could occur this is how most of them explode or lack of ventilation also a backdraft for them

nightline:
What a load of crap, is it the gas bottle you have at home for the barbecue that you have in your cab.
Its either that or you must be sniffing it straight from the bottle up your nose
It just gets worse here with the stupidity of some people like a small cooking gas bottle will kill you
Yes it will if you put it up your nose no it won’t even if it leaks
Its common sense how to use equipment like this but as as expected it goes over most people’s head I often wonder is it only truck drivers who are brain dead

Er- I don’t think anyone has been talking about the effects of inhaling the gas from the cylinder. The discussion has been about the fire/explosion risks associated with a leak and the danger of carbon monoxide poisoning. Neither of these is in any significant way connected with the size of the gas cartridge.

Grumpy Dad:

newmercman:

Suffocation is a lack of air entering the body, air is processed in the lungs by a process called gaseous exchange and oxygen passes into the blood and around the body.

Spot on. But my point was that referring to it as “suffocation”, while not exactly trivialising the issue, perpetuates the idea that the dangers of gas stoves in lorry cabs are that they “use up the oxygen” and so prevent the occupant from breathing. The logic then says that all you need to do is have the window cracked open to let some fresh air in and all is rosy*. Now, while it is true that you can indeed suffocate someone by replacing most of the oxygen with an inert gas such as carbon dioxide (or of course by physically restricting his airway or chest movement), using up all that oxygen would be a Big Job and unlikely to be achieved by the flame of a gas stove. In addition, a suffocating casualty can usually be saved (assuming he’s not already dead, or nearly so) by simply opening his airway and getting some fresh air into his lungs.

But carbon monoxide poisoning is not simple suffocation - the carbon monoxide combines with the haemoglobin in the bloodstream to form a different compound which is no longer capable of carrying oxygen to the organs of the body. The end result is much the same (lack of oxygen to the brain), but it’s not easily reversible by simply getting fresh air into the lungs. Even at non-lethal levels, the poisoning effect is still there with long term exposure, potentially resulting in lack of concentration/difficulty thinking, or frequent mood changes, depression etc. In order to prevent this poisoning, you need to ensure good ventilation (not simply having the window open a crack) or preferably by not using the stove in the cab at all.

As an aside, carbon monoxide poisoning used to be one of the most common methods of suicide, using the exhaust gases from a car engine. The universal adoption of catalytic converters has now reduced the CO content in car exhausts to such an extent that it’s much more difficult to kill yourself this way.

(* actually, all may well be rosy as one of the commonly noticeable things about a body killed by carbon monoxide poisoning is the red colouration of the skin and lips - unlike suffocation, where the blue tinge of cyanosis is more typical).

Roymondo:

Grumpy Dad:

newmercman:

Spot on. But my point was that referring to it as “suffocation”, while not exactly trivialising the issue, perpetuates the idea that the dangers of gas stoves in lorry cabs are that they “use up the oxygen” and so prevent the occupant from breathing. The logic then says that all you need to do is have the window cracked open to let some fresh air in and all is rosy*. Now, while it is true that you can indeed suffocate someone by replacing most of the oxygen with an inert gas such as carbon dioxide (or of course by physically restricting his airway or chest movement), using up all that oxygen would be a Big Job and unlikely to be achieved by the flame of a gas stove. In addition, a suffocating casualty can usually be saved (assuming he’s not already dead, or nearly so) by simply opening his airway and getting some fresh air into his lungs.

But carbon monoxide poisoning is not simple suffocation - the carbon monoxide combines with the haemoglobin in the bloodstream to form a different compound which is no longer capable of carrying oxygen to the organs of the body. The end result is much the same (lack of oxygen to the brain), but it’s not easily reversible by simply getting fresh air into the lungs. Even at non-lethal levels, the poisoning effect is still there with long term exposure, potentially resulting in lack of concentration/difficulty thinking, or frequent mood changes, depression etc. In order to prevent this poisoning, you need to ensure good ventilation (not simply having the window open a crack) or preferably by not using the stove in the cab at all.

As an aside, carbon monoxide poisoning used to be one of the most common methods of suicide, using the exhaust gases from a car engine. The universal adoption of catalytic converters has now reduced the CO content in car exhausts to such an extent that it’s much more difficult to kill yourself this way.

(* actually, all may well be rosy as one of the commonly noticeable things about a body killed by carbon monoxide poisoning is the red colouration of the skin and lips - unlike suffocation, where the blue tinge of cyanosis is more typical).

You’ll be talking about carboxyhemoglobin and the way it attacks and kills the cells and tissues, common symptoms are very much like a bad hangover :wink:

Basic first aid and common signs of acute carbon monoxide poisoning should be
taught to drivers or at least make them aware.
One of the minor symptoms is tiredness and wether it’s induced by cooker use or a leaking manifold, the symptoms will increase over time, and falling asleep at the wheel could be fatal to more than just the driver.