Convincing the EU

how would you convince the EU to change lorry lengths?

Apparently the truck manufacturers have tried to convince the EU to look at allowing longer units to pull 13.6 metre trailers, but as usual they don’t want to know.

so what arguments could we put to them?

just think how much better our lives could be by having room for a decent fridge freezer, a sink, a decent size table to put a plate on.
in any other job, these things are taken for granted.

one extra metre of cab is not too much to ask, is it?

heres my views.

a longer wheel base unit can make an articulated vehicle more stable.
a driver who can wash him/herself within the cab, will be more refreshed and safer when driving.

ohhhhhh bugger, my minds gone blank. i had loads of ideas earlier, but they’ve gone now. i’m sure it’ll come back to me. :laughing:

Build longer wider straighter roads like the yanks have :bulb: :question:

interesting post :smiley:

the problem is that you would need to be careful with the wording. longer trucks on its own would leave it open to abuse by our bosses. it would need to include a maximum length on the trailer with an extension on the overall length to allow for a longer cab and it could be very difficult to point out any benefits other than more room for the driver. we all know that we are not regarded as being important anyway but the UK in particular seems to be very much against longer trucks. our towns and cities are widely regarded as not being suitable for existing trucks so convincing them that an extra few feet would be nice is going to be very difficult to achieve, especially if we are up against the bosses too who might well want the extra space for 2 more pallets hence the need for the inclusion of a maximum trailer length. you know what some of them are like :unamused:

large chassis are required to make room for the additional emissions kit. “longer units protect the enviroment”

the truck manufacturers are struggling to stay in business due to the global ecconomic downturn. a new bread of modern, stylish, and driver freindly trucks will restart the new truck market and in turn restart the european ecconomy.

scanny77:
interesting post :smiley:

the problem is that you would need to be careful with the wording. longer trucks on its own would leave it open to abuse by our bosses. it would need to include a maximum length on the trailer with an extension on the overall length to allow for a longer cab and it could be very difficult to point out any benefits other than more room for the driver. we all know that we are not regarded as being important anyway but the UK in particular seems to be very much against longer trucks. our towns and cities are widely regarded as not being suitable for existing trucks so convincing them that an extra few feet would be nice is going to be very difficult to achieve, especially if we are up against the bosses too who might well want the extra space for 2 more pallets hence the need for the inclusion of a maximum trailer length. you know what some of them are like :unamused:

i agree, as i remember when we went from 40’ to 45’ trailers. but rates stayed the same.

it must specify, when coupled with a 13.6 metre trailer.

Convincing politians and the likes takes money.

I don’t see it ever happening unless big large companies start to want longer cabs, they have the cash and influence to lobby the EU for changes. EU doesent care about drivers or drivers well being.

Large companies prob don’t want larger cabs, because they would be more expensive to buy and bosses of these large companies don’t give a damm if you have a decent living space or not.

Only people good at lobbying are big companies who have the cash to invite prominent law makers to a 5 star resort or a luxury boat for a weekend all expenses paid to discuss the issues and the likes, or promise to invest in their local area so the politican looks good. Unless you can further the gravey train they won’t be interested and just fob you off with safety reasons why there shouldnt be longer cabs.

The only thing you can do is try to get large support for longer cabs, set up a web site start a large petition, with clearly stated aims why there should be longer cabs, issues like health and well being, having better cabs would be better health wise for drivers mentally and physically, also possibly better rest wise, would be able to relax and rest better having better accomdation than a rabbit hutch.

Best bet is to make large donations to the labour party. But hurry up they won’t be in charge much longer.

spankys big blue daf, the chassis on tha is standard lenght, now i no he cnt pull a deep pin trailer but by law he can still pull a 45ft trailer if it has a shallow pin, coz its only the cab tha is extended

look at the room he has

thanks kenny,

well my idea of coming up with asking for good ideas was so i could give the ideas to the truck manufacturers.
we all know scania tried the longline, and according to commercial motor, volvo have tried in vain to lobby for longer units.
i’m sure these companies have tried loads of reasons. but we might just touch on one or two ideas that they have not.

well anythings worth a shot.

A bigger cab with better facilities, would mean better sleep and a relaxing enviroment= less fatigue and safer roads.

And a small table to sit at would be fantastic when posting on Trucknet. :laughing:

Darby Flyer:
And a small table to sit at would be fantastic when posting on Trucknet. :laughing:

you’ve got it darby. that’ll convince them. :laughing: :laughing:

limeyphil:
‘…how would you convince the EU to change lorry lengths?..’

Wait until Lord, His Worship Blair, President of Europe elect, promises to Europeanise all towns & villages in the former Great Britain currently without a by-pass?

Maybe if we lose the next war we’ll get a super-spiffing road/village/town/city rebuilding programme after we’ve paid ourselves compensation.

Or …stuff the EU?

tofer:
Best bet is to make large donations to the labour party. But hurry up they won’t be in charge much longer.

im afraid not. they would take the cash and make political promises but these are far from contractual. ALL of the political parties are anti truck and most are anti car too. lobbying from the outside is not going to work

Do you reckon it was the bottles of ■■■■ and discarded big mac wrappers that made them hate us?

tofer:
Do you reckon it was the bottles of ■■■■ and discarded big mac wrappers that made them hate us?

Could be :smiley: , but I reckon it’s the big smelly noisy things roaring through small villages in the middle of the night that really did it. The trucks didn’t help either :sunglasses:

scanny77:
‘…ALL of the political parties are anti truck and most are anti car too…’

…where’s that declared?

PS. I’m anti the wagon that takes the UK donation of £40 million per day to Brussels/Strasbourg, whilst ‘…ALL of the [mainstream] political parties…’ seem happy & blindly content with that monstrosity.

It will never happen…ask the container boys why theyre got an extra length at the front, and an extra length at the back of a 40 ft box…and pull them for no extra money whatsoever…makes me laugh when i see a skelly trailer with the extended bumper…and its 3 feet under the container…ha ha ha
so if those in charge decided to extend the length of an outfit…i guarantee it wont be for the drivers benefit…never has been and never will be…i`ve been in this industry for 46 years, and when i started the longest trailer was 27ft soon to be increased to 33ft, then 40 ft…and that your lot…how much have we gained in my 46 years…■■?

Happy Keith:

scanny77:
‘…ALL of the political parties are anti truck and most are anti car too…’

…where’s that declared?

their policies!

Happy Keith:
PS. I’m anti the wagon that takes the UK donation of £40 million per day to Brussels/Strasbourg, whilst ‘…ALL of the [mainstream] political parties…’ seem happy & blindly content with that monstrosity.

so am i!
assuming we are talking about the gold and purple party, their transport polices are equally if not even worse than the rest of them. thats why i am trying desperately to get on the committee