Converting Tractor Unit to Rigid

Probably a few stupid questions about to follow…

I currently drive a 4 wheeler 18t tipper with an approx wheel base of 3.50m and it has a 11.5t payload

I have seen other trucks similar to this with a mid lift axel and having talked to some of the drivers there overall length and wb is not much different to mine but they can carry between 13t and 15t. The turning circle is the pretty much the same also.

Next year I shall be getting getting a new truck, so far its going to be a Daf LF55 300BHP 3.75 WB and roughly a 12T payload. But what i was thinking is if you bought a new tractor unit and put a tipper body on that, with being roughly the same dimensions but more payload. For example you can get a Daf CF day cab with a Tag axel (better turning circle) and its plated on its own at 26T (the same as a midlift is 23t■■?), with the lentgh of the body, and payload it would be nearly 17t, I’d do well to overload the bugger, still fit in tight spaces, nearly carry what 8 wheelers do when there busy. but can continue doing 10t work where needed( which is 90% of my work).

But i am told that daf probably wouldn’t cover the chasis under warranty?

So i just wanted to know abit more about this set up really and is it worth it or not?

Thanks

Freddie2112:

Why wouldn’t they?.
A midlift Tractor unit chassis would have a gross design weight of 25.5 ish tonnes, and I’d be more tempted to go midlift/steer as the tyres on the extra axle wouldn’t get ripped to shreds when slewing round on rough ground.

freddie go to irish rigs and post there
am almost sure i had seen a few similar to what u want back in ireland

I used to drive a renault tractor unit with 5th wheel taken of and tank on the back,think it used to carry 15 ton.It had a sleeper cab and 420hp never slowed down on any hill.

Nowt wrong with stretching tractors:

This was built fully in house by young Simmo.

We see a lot of medium duty tow trucks that were built on rigid chassis, 4x2s. Trouble with them is they only have an 18t gvw, and not very good train weight.

We prefer to stretch a tractor, still a 4x2, still a medium duty, but now with a 40t train weight.

Other bonus is you tend to get a better set of gearing in a tractor than you do a rigid. More cogs to pick from :slight_smile:

didn’t someone on here used to run one? IIRC it was an ex supermuppet Scania converted to a tipper ■■ :confused: :confused: :confused:

Weve just had an ex Asda unit converted to an eight wheeler, second hand dropside body and hiab, cost the fraction of a brand new vehicle.

I had a 6x2 tag axled rigid that was a unit in former life. 420hp meant it pulled like a train. I used to get odd electrical gremlins and ABS problems that I’m sure were a result of the thing being cut in half and stretched. You’d probably be surprised at the amount of rigids that were previously units.

Big Joe:

Freddie2112:

Why wouldn’t they?. A midlift Tractor unit chassis would have a gross design weight of 25.5 ish tonnes, and I’d be more tempted to go midlift/steer as the tyres on the extra axle wouldn’t get ripped to shreds when slewing round on rough ground.

Not sure a basic unit chassis would cope with the twisting forces associated with tipper work.

IMO, the OP would be better to buy a 2nd hand unit and stretch it. Being as most units are at least 340 horse, you’d have a pretty ‘lively’ 4x2 / 6x2.

8wheels:
I had a 6x2 tag axled rigid that was a unit in former life. 420hp meant it pulled like a train. I used to get odd electrical gremlins and ABS problems that I’m sure were a result of the thing being cut in half and stretched. You’d probably be surprised at the amount of rigids that were previously units.

Agreed on that one, we converted some units to rigids for caravan work, because as already mentioned they had a better spec of engines and gearboxes, although they are light, caravans still take some pulling through the wind. They were also easier to find with a double sleeper cab for the mate if required

If you want to pm me I can email you some pics and details of the rig I operate based on a daf cf unit stretched with beaver tail and tag axle and 14 ton payload :sunglasses:

In the OP,you say “why not buy a new unit and convert it?”. Well if you are buying new,any manufacturer will tailer build a vehicle to your requirements.

Here’s my old rig from my days with Owens; it was a tractor unit in a previous life.

With 380 horse it could even pull big statues around! :smiley:

Nice lookin motor that, one of George Dowse’s cranes behind.
We bought our Scammell S26 off George, many years ago.

the firm i work for runs 5 6x2s 4 scanias all stretched units with plant bodys hp from 360 to 420 all done by macs. mines the only factory built (58 daf cf 360) all seem well up to the job oldest one nearly done 1m klicks now and still going :sunglasses: what about a 6x2 midlift/steer with a jakabox body best of both worlds then

Freddie2112:
Probably a few stupid questions about to follow…

I currently drive a 4 wheeler 18t tipper with an approx wheel base of 3.50m and it has a 11.5t payload

I have seen other trucks similar to this with a mid lift axel and having talked to some of the drivers there overall length and wb is not much different to mine but they can carry between 13t and 15t. The turning circle is the pretty much the same also.

Next year I shall be getting getting a new truck, so far its going to be a Daf LF55 300BHP 3.75 WB and roughly a 12T payload. But what i was thinking is if you bought a new tractor unit and put a tipper body on that, with being roughly the same dimensions but more payload. For example you can get a Daf CF day cab with a Tag axel (better turning circle) and its plated on its own at 26T (the same as a midlift is 23t■■?), with the lentgh of the body, and payload it would be nearly 17t, I’d do well to overload the bugger, still fit in tight spaces, nearly carry what 8 wheelers do when there busy. but can continue doing 10t work where needed( which is 90% of my work).

So i just wanted to know abit more about this set up really and is it worth it or not?

Thanks

The Chassis of a Tractor is differend.Dont know if every Lorry but some.Just see behind Engine,when Rigid Frame goes straight back and Tractor frame gets narrower.