Converting midlift to 6x4

In Australia nearly all prime movers (what you would call tractor units) are bogey drive. Especially for any trucks going onto farms or offroad a 6x2 is unthinkable. However I was wondering if it would be possible to remove both rear axles from a midlift tractor unit and replace them with double drive axles. Of course driveshafts may have to be sorted out but is it possible?
This might be a dumb question but I have never seen a midlift “in the flesh” so I how no clue about them. Assuming the axles are on airbags, is the suspension the same as a 6x4?
Would there be a difference between a Fh12, Scania 124 or a Stralis?
Thanks for any advice.
Andrew

aussie farmer:
In Australia nearly all prime movers (what you would call tractor units) are bogey drive. Especially for any trucks going onto farms or offroad a 6x2 is unthinkable. However I was wondering if it would be possible to remove both rear axles from a midlift tractor unit and replace them with double drive axles. Of course driveshafts may have to be sorted out but is it possible?
This might be a dumb question but I have never seen a midlift “in the flesh” so I how no clue about them. Assuming the axles are on airbags, is the suspension the same as a 6x4?
Would there be a difference between a Fh12, Scania 124 or a Stralis?
Thanks for any advice.
Andrew

I don’t imagine it is going to be easy unless you can source the original hangers and bracketry

scania.co.uk/Images/SL545126 … 149444.pdf

I think the easiest way may be to buy an 8 wheeler from Holland

Anything is possible but it is going to be an expensive job as the whole suspension arrangement will be different so as well as the axles off a 6x4 you would need all the suspension components at least. Then of course you have to sort out all the braking and electrical systems (very complex these days with ABS and EBS etc.) and I would think that you would be just as well buying a factory built 6x4 in the first place to be honest.

Paul

I remember seeing a device many years ago, it was 2 free wheeling rollers, one on each side, that were forced down between the midlift and drive axle tyres. The drive axle tyres then turned the roller which then transferred drive to the midlift tyre, only supposed to be used to aid traction, but a cheaper lighter solution than a full DD bogie, and could be retro fitted :sunglasses: although it might not work to well on a midsteer :stuck_out_tongue:

Think the above post is reffering to a Robson drive, no experience of using one but seem to be very popular in Nordic lands so worth investigating, never know they might catch on down there.

short walk:
Think the above post is reffering to a Robson drive, no experience of using one but seem to be very popular in Nordic lands so worth investigating, never know they might catch on down there.

Yep thats the one ShortWalk, found it :sunglasses: , might need a wider roller for use with the single tyre on a midlift.

aussie farmer:
In Australia nearly all prime movers (what you would call tractor units) are bogey drive. Especially for any trucks going onto farms or offroad a 6x2 is unthinkable.

Out of curiosity, why? Most of our bulk blowers are double drive, but from experience there aren’t too many farms where it’s actually essential, in fact I can think of only two farms that I go to where the load notes specify 8x4; and this is Wales we’re talking about, some seriously difficult farm accesses down here.

I’d have thought you’d have a bit more room to turn tound than we’re used to! :wink: