Convert 6X2 Tractor to 4X2

Has anyone converted a 6X2 tractor to a 4X2, while keeping the original wheelbase?

I’ve got something on the go at the moment which only needs a 4X2 for the weight (less than 30tonnes train weight) but for which I could really do with a long wheelbase for building in big tanks, toolboxes and a small generator into the tractor chassis. I can’t add these to the trailer for H&S/insurance reasons.

I’ve looked at (used) factory build 4X2’s, but the chassis length won’t be enough for what I need. Also, I’ve got the chance of a 6X2 XF and a 4.1m w/b 6X2 FH12 at a steal of a price which would be perfect for the job, assuming I could lose the midlift.

Any thoughts?

i know someone who converted a Volvo NH12 from 6x2 to 4x2, they removed the midlift and all the extra air valves, air bags and stuff, don’t know what else they did, it was before i knew them

it can be done but its a balls ache prop brake valves etc etc. i know we did it on a 95xf 6-7 years ago. why not buy the daf re sell it and use the profit to buy what you want :bulb:

if its at a steal of a price

r slicker:
why not buy the daf re sell it and use the profit to buy what you want

Cost isn’t the issue, rather capability is the driving factor. I only asked about the conversion as I know of a couple of 6X2 trucks which could be had for favourable prices and have barely been worked, but if all else fails I can always stretch a factory 4X2 to suit my needs.

fair enough. its not a hrd conversion if the truth be known just time consuming. we only converted as we ran megas and we ordered a new one and got a standard 6x2 :smiling_imp:

so we converted it. took 2 days with all the prop and valves pree ordered.