Conversion from Sleeper to Crewcab

Hi Folks.
Away from work I run a flat bed Merc with sleeper cab (twin bunks)as a private HGV for weekend motorsport.
With the top bunk folded flat against the cab back wall, it forms a great bench seat with footwells behind the two front seats. Perfect as a day cab. I want to start taking wife & two teenagers but dont want to fall foul of the law. (fine / points, etc)

Had a slog through VOSA website, etc but its as clear as mud, and was hoping one of you guys could help direct me.
Is it just a case of completing a Notifiable Alteration Form advising increasing number of seats to 4 and seeing if VOSA want to inspect?
Its pre-2006 so doesnt have seatbelts anywhere. so guess I dont have to fit them, though I’ll probably do it at some point anyway. (only just bought the truck)
Thanks
Gruff

it might be worth speaking to your local driving school most of them have extra seats were the bunk goes they might help you

Slightly different situation, I had a volkswagon van for similar purposes and the brick wall I met was insurance.
I looked at what extra it would cost me and insurers didn’t want to know. No one would even give me a quote as the seats weren’t factory fitted.

Mmmm. Not thought of that one Davhems. I’ll investigate that one. It’s on race transporter insurance similar to equestrian who dont differentiate on seat numbers thankfully. Good point though.

Have a look at the estepe.nl site for ideas.

They just fold the bunk down and fit lap belts across the bunk that can be tucked away.

Cold Up North:
Have a look at the estepe.nl site for ideas.

They just fold the bunk down and fit lap belts across the bunk that can be tucked away.

I reckon I could just fit lap belts looking at their combo design. Cheers for that. Nice one. Gruff

All Merc sleeper cabs cab be orders with seats in the back instead of beds, for training and recovery jobs. I believe that there is a retro fit kit available, proper type approved seats and belts, …what it casts is another matter.