Conundrum

Been working 8 wheelers home at night but boring webt for and interview and been offered start on fridges class 1 which I have little experience on, jon will involve nights out tho which have never done, and obv will be on more money.

Am I being daft is it a no brainer?

Hi Mate,

Well there’s a thing…

You need to look at in two ways really…

1. Fridges these days are fairish simple, dependent on the work, most are running part time , ergo the engine on the fridge itself, and some ambient wont need the fridge at all and or “Dry freight”, basicly its easy, you set the temp and the engine will keep that fridge at that temp until you tell it otherwise. frozen stuff needs to be that so again dependent on settings, the fridge will be running almost constant… this leads me to the point, sleep! now, some, like me, can sleep with a fridge running and in fact would wake when it stopped for any reason… however some i know cant and have a a hell of a time and don’t last long in the job.
    being away is fine as long as your on fair good money and night out money is paid accordingly. your be away from home so no “normal” family life and that’s, any 30plus driver will tell you, can put a huge strain on a marriage.

2.Being home is is a must if you have kids, money is what it is and sometimes in life taking a cut is better than chasing big money only to find you lost everything else en route and trust me, it happens.

i don’t suppose theirs a chance you can grab some overtime at your present employer to help out?
you could always try for something that is still days but pays better, RDC work, or local Temp agencies might well be be able to offer a good rate and varied work, i don’t know as im not from your neck of the woods but just giving out some thought is all.

Hope all works out, me, knowing what i know now and looking back… id leave the fridge, take the family any day.

Good luck fella

Thanks for reply mate.

No family single guy, work just now is quiet so little overtime firm I’m with are big national firm and have offered to up skill me to class 1 but they pay there artic drivers shocking money.

Job iv been offered pays a flat rate but more than I’m on just now and 27 for a night out.

Class 1 is what I want to do think this would be good opportunity just really ■■■■ at decision making.

I’m on fridges now. Easiest job I’ve ever had and the best money I’ve ever had too. Fridges are easy to work. Set them to the temp you want and it will take care of itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No amount of money will ever tempt me to sleep in a lorry,that may mean I’m never a “proper” trucker but I’ll live with that…whilst I’m sleeping in my nice warm house :smiley:

edinburgh_newbie:
Been working 8 wheelers home at night but boring

Working on Fridges.

Turn up to work, do daily checks, set off, arrive at RDC. Sit around for an hour to get on a bay. Sit on bay for a couple of hours getting unloaded unless it is Tesco at DIRFT and then its four hours. Sit around for another hour to get paperwork. Drive back to depot or drive to collection, sit around for an hour waiting to get on bay, sit on bay for a couple of hours getting loaded, wait around an hour for paperwork, off to delivery.

With fridge work an unlimited data package and Netflix subscription is your friend because you’re going to be spending probably half your day sat around waiting. If you were bored with what you do its nothing compared to what you will be on fridges. Same for container work too.

Ah well, in that case, jump on it!!!
as has been stated, get netflix and good interweb and your off!
but really, its driving, your away alot and a cack load of time spent doing naff all, board-um will set in mind, any new job is like a new woman…exciting till you start to smell the ■■■■■!

Hope all goes well…

Gel

When I started on class 1 I didn’t earn a penny more than class 2 drivers at the same place. They justified this by saying the class 2 drivers did handball. Did handball training cost £1000 more?

Conor:

edinburgh_newbie:
Been working 8 wheelers home at night but boring

unless it is Tesco at DIRFT and then its four hours.

What is the problem with that place? In the morning they have me tipped and out the door in half an hour but if an evening delivery it’s never any less than 3 hours sat in that ■■■■■■■ room :unamused:

Are you a light sleeper? You’ll have the fridge going all night, next to your head. And you’ll be very popular with other drivers in services etc… :grimacing:

Sleep lightish, want the experience tbh never reversed onto a bay either so that might be fun!

Done nearly 3 years on fridges now. It’s an absolute doddle.

As already said there can be a lot of hanging around. Today I arrived at delivery at 6.50, on bay at 7am. 8.15 I was kicked of the bay and told they couldn’t tip me as their fridges were full. Was told they might be able to tip me at 10am, which then changed to 11am. Collared lad at 10.45 and was told that they might now be able to tip me at all. 10.50 I pulled out, had to run 12 plts back to our yard.

On flip side, got to my collection this aft, loaded up with 21plts in under 15 mins.

Got a run around Middlesbrough on Monday. 6-7 drops, and a good chance I’ll be able to knock them off in under 2hrs once I get up there.

xichrisxi:
No amount of money will ever tempt me to sleep in a lorry,that may mean I’m never a “proper” trucker but I’ll live with that…whilst I’m sleeping in my nice warm house :smiley:

+1

the nodding donkey:
Are you a light sleeper? You’ll have the fridge going all night, next to your head. And you’ll be very popular with other drivers in services etc… :grimacing:

Just do what I saw a driver do a few months ago…drop trailer in one space, and park unit next to the back of the trailer in another space :open_mouth: :unamused:

Ah the days of fridges, a typical day would be roll up to Safeway at portrack lane for a 6:30 booking, on the bay within minutes, tipped in 30mins then pull off and park up opposite to wait for delivery notes & while waiting go to canteen breakfast. Back to office to be told notes ain’t ready, so to the cab for a snooze, set alarm for 1hr, wake go back to office. Return to cab for another snooze. Repeat every hour until 12 noon when the canteen reopens for dinner, then indulge in the Friday special of fish chips and peas. Before finally getting your delivery notes around 1pm. Then either head over to their de-kit yard and load pallets/trays and take them to the pack house, then collect a back load to the yard. Not forgetting to stop off for an ice-cream en-route.

Conan the Librarian:

the nodding donkey:

Just do what I saw a driver do a few months ago…drop trailer in one space, and park unit next to the back of the trailer in another space :open_mouth: :unamused:

99% of the time im pulling tilts and like the work although building the sides back up from side unloading/top loading can be a pain but occasionally pull a fridge from Malaga to Calais/ Reims and ill uncouple the unit and pull forward or park next to the trailer. Obviously a full aires and i wont do it, only if theres the space. Fridge work is very easy although the stuff we handle is always -18 so the fridge motor has to be kept running especially so in warmer climes.

I did fridges for a few years and it must be one of the easiest jobs (maybe after box jockeys). Mostly, as described above, hanging around at RDCs, but we also did some smaller deliveries where we had to get in the back and roll the pallets to the doors for the forkie.

It suited me, partly because I am one of those people who can sleep anytime and anywhere. I once fell asleep on the road outside Smithfield’s while stuck in traffic. The downside was the constant maxed out hours - not driving but duty.

Go for it, if you find the jobs not for you then look for something different, it’s the work you want to do and by taking the job you would have gained Class 1 experienced to add support to any future job applications. The vast majority of HGV work involves periods of waiting around so fridge work is not that different in that respect. Buy yourself a packet of foam ear plugs - jobs a good 'un! :wink: