Contract sign or not

Mrmack is correct.if you carry on working there even if yoh have not signed it you accept there terms unless.you would either have to quit or get them to alter there contract in writing.

Hi nearly there, thanks for that, i shall have to look into it further.

how is it that you can work as an employee for a few months on no contract, with no problems and no contract, so why is it suddenly a choice of sign or get out ?

Regarding employment contracts, it is a legal requirement that an employee receives written terms and conditions no later than 2 months after the date on which the employment began.

Hey BL just type, changing work terms & conditions, into google & you’ll get plenty info. Wether your boss knows any of the legal side of things is open to question, just because they are the boss doesn’t mean the know everything about employment law. Most I’ve come across have no idea until shown the relevant information by employees.
I had one try to refuse to pay me holiday pay over Christmas, I’d started in the October, he was under the impression the you weren’t entitled to holiday pay until you had been there 3 months. I had to go to directgov & print out the fact that, as a weekly paid worker I accumulated holiday pay from day 1, he ended up paying it to 3 others as well.
Another gave me a contract to sign that had been downloaded from a template he found on the net, it was a joke, but in my favour so I signed. It stated he had to give me a minimum of 4 weeks notice, or pay me for 4 weeks, regardless of how long I worked there, he also forgot to print out the bit that said how much notice I had to give meaning, despite him sending me on a £1000 course, I could just leave whenever I wanted.

robbo99:
Regarding employment contracts, it is a legal requirement that an employee receives written terms and conditions no later than 2 months after the date on which the employment began.

Hi B/L ^^^^^ Go on the Direct Gov website lots of info on there, most of
which has already been given.
The parts of the T&C that your not happy about were these not discussed before you chose to accept the job?
Are the other drivers on the same T&C as you?

GOV WEB SITE:

gov.uk/employment-contracts-and-conditions

If they are altering the working conditions you started unddr then that is diffrent.if so go to cab and acas for advice as the changes have to be consulted upon but if no aggreement is reached they could gives yous notice of 30 days i think it is.

At least they have given a contract of employment which by the way is law in the UK, if you are not given a contract when you start the company is breaking the law.

Hi robbo, they gave me a long trial period in the first instance, now I’m guessing it is coming up to the financial year & they want contracts signed up.

Hi slackbladder, I shall try Google. …when I get a decent internet signal ! I shall also give acas a call, I have to deal with it quickly this week, & that’s not easy to do inbetween work travel & sleep, heavy workload on at the moment too.
sounds like you came out alright with the contracts wavering in your favour, all smiles lol.

Hi manitou, thanks I will look into the gov site if I can get a good enough signal, the contract is way more lengthy & in depth than the discussion before I started.
I know some of the others have got contract as well, they are grumbling about it , nobody sees anyone else for long enough to discuss it .

Hi nick, thanks for the link .

Hi nearly there, I shall try acas tomorrow, & then I shall have to have a chat with the boss I reckon, there are a lot of pages to get through , it can be difficult to keep a clear head to tackle the issue when your working flat out. So I hope it can be sorted out .

Hi pat, yes, it said on the accompanying letter it is law they have to give you a contract. I liked it better before it got to that stage, now it become a thawn in the side or a stone in the boot. …nowt but a flipping nuisance, but got to be sorted.

If you are planning to try and negotiate, do your preparation first. Choose the bits that you disagree with and write your reasons down for each one. It is quite possible that you will forget half of them when you are face to face so take notes with you.
if there are legal issues then definitely do some research and take any supporting evidence along.

you really need to know what points you want to make and why if you want to be listened to

Pat Hasler:
At least they have given a contract of employment which by the way is law in the UK, if you are not given a contract when you start the company is breaking the law.

It may be the law here to have a contract but there are plenty companies that don’t bother with them.

BL, maybe they just recognise you as a good grafter & want to keep you, with no contract you can walk off whenever you want.

limeyphil:
take it away. scan it, change it, print it, sign it, get the employer to sign it. hey presto, you’re the new managing director. :laughing:

Shssssssssssssssssh. I thought that I was the only one who had twigged that. It still brings a smile to my face when I read the contract which they earnestly signed and returned to me.

Hi scanny, that makes a lot of sense ,I started writing down the sections & giving reasons with them.
I phoned acas this morning & their reply was they were impartial and told me to either go to the citizens advice bureau or an independent legal advisor , I suppose they mean a solicitor , & that would cost me too.
I am also hearing that a few more agency drivers & others people have been taken on recently, never see the new people to ask them if they have the same contract.
what if I was to only sign against the parts I agree with, would that be acceptable ?

hi slackbladder, I know the boss is happy with my work, but on the front of the contract is a brief letter saying it is law to provide a contract, so I think it is going to be
pushed on us all…pity! There was no pressure working without a contract before.

bonnie lass:
Hi scanny, that makes a lot of sense ,I started writing down the sections & giving reasons with them.
I phoned acas this morning & their reply was they were impartial and told me to either go to the citizens advice bureau or an independent legal advisor , I suppose they mean a solicitor , & that would cost me too.
I am also hearing that a few more agency drivers & others people have been taken on recently, never see the new people to ask them if they have the same contract.
what if I was to only sign against the parts I agree with, would that be acceptable ?

hi slackbladder, I know the boss is happy with my work, but on the front of the contract is a brief letter saying it is law to provide a contract, so I think it is going to be

I’ve got a similar headache at the moment, albeit in a different sector, ironically working out how to write my own employment contract as my boss, while very good at her job is hopeless at paperwork. :laughing:

From what I’ve understood, as far as the law is concerned, you enter into a ‘contract’ as soon as you being working for the company and they pay you for your services, even it’s a verbal agreement, you will drive this class of vehicle and be paid x amount per hour/week/month. From that start date, the company is obliged to provide you, in writing, your terms and conditions within 8 weeks. I don’t know where you would stand only signing the bits that you agreed with, that’s probably the CAB/legal eagle territory.

I’d negotiate with the boss and if he won’t budge, seek proper advice.

bonnie lass:

He is correct it is the law these days, plenty don’t do it though and can use that as a way of getting rid of those they deem undesirable when it suits them. I don’t know what your problem is with the parts you don’t like, and I don’t need to, but I’ve signed plenty contracts with no problems. When they have come up with others I know they have gone down the legal route & won, most contracts don’t stand up to scrutiny in court in the hands of lawyers.

Far better off with a contract than without…

Hi nellie, as the situation stands ,I am struggling to find the time to sort this contract out along side working time as I only have a limited time to sort & return it isn’t just as straight forward as I drive this for this amount of money , I wish it was that simple . I wish it was.
I think I will continue to write it up & get it in front of the boss & take it from there, in the first instance.

Hi slackbladder, I really don’t like something in particular down to the fact if it goes wrong I could be held liable for monies with a ■■■■■■■■■■■ effect. There are other things as well that i could loose out on financially. If only it was straight forward & basic! .

Hi rambo, why? … would I be better off with a contract, a few months ago I would have been happy probably to have one, but now I am seriously questioning it.