Continental tramping?

Hi all,I was just wondering if a firm would take me on for a job maybe going over the water to just France or Belgium,on tramping work.I have held a Class 1 since September 2003,but have been in regular,full-time work since passing.Although i do not have 2 years experience,would any firms still give me a run out do you think? I must add that I am also a PCV licence holder and worked in Spain and France last summer,and can provide a reference for this,so continental driving is not a problem.I also have a relatively good grasp of the French language,and would love to just do trips to France really,then back to Blighty.I am based in Cheshunt,Herts,near Junction 25 of the M25 for anybody who doesn’t know it.

I’d love to hear from anyone who can give me the name and details of any companies who maybe would.Thanks for any replies,

All the best,Glenn

can’t help u m8,but best thing i would say to u is too call your local company’s and explain to them the experiance you have of continental work and see wot they say.good luck :wink: won’t hurt to make a few calls will it

Hey Kit Kat,yeah,I know you work for DHL ,or formally SOL.They have a couple of depots not far from me.Do they run over the water? If so,do they do nights out.The ones I am thinking of are London Colney and Hatfield.Like you said,its probably best to phone,but there really aren’t many,if any international hauliers near me that I know of .Apart from Continental Express in Waltham Cross,but tried them already and they want 2 years exp.Part of their insurance agreement apparently.

Cheers anyway,Glenn

Hiya Glenn, how ya doin are you still driving those black ERF’s ? :wink:
It’s worth traveling a bit if your tramping bud so try looking futher a field.

Hi LadyTrucker,how are you? Nah,i saw sense and got away from that horrible place and people! Not to mention that disgusting black ERF,with no heating,bits falling off it lol.What are you up to now? Still doing the horseboxes?

I’m driving for a well known cash and carry chain now! Not too hard to guess,is it,but much better kit.Actroses and MANS.Like you said though,I want to do some real trucking.I spose I had better get down to the Dover area as they are all based down there,aren’t they? Take it easy,Lady,and keep on truckin’

It’s good to hear from you bud :laughing: you have been wanting to this since we met and that was ages ago so it’s time to go for it. Have a look at NYK logistics, I don’t know if they have a depot near you but it is a big enough operation so they will have something close enough. I have had to come off continental due to health reasons so I am running for TNT, just like your old place but with a health and safety policy! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I dont know how far you want to travel and i,m not sure if they use satellite drivers but heres a company near me who do a LOT of continental work from what ive heard the money is not great but the kit is superb ( Sorry they are Scanias but i mean superb as in quite new and decent cabs).

http://www.denbytransport.co.uk/careers.htm

Have you tried Sealane Euro Logistics? Tel 01582 463805.
Based in
Hertfordshire and they are always looking for subbies in “Trucking” but need drivers for their own fleet of XXL Man’s as well,Mostly Benelux running too :laughing: .
www.sealane.co.uk

you could try european in kent, pulleyns near reading, they set on a newish driver just a few months ago, i met him in ashford in november, seemed a great lad so pulleyns may be more likely to give you a go, it’s 3 weeks away though and it’s fridge work too but thats easy enough.
there is also cavewoods at high wycombe but i’m not sure if you would get on there, they can be a little picky from what i hear.
cranliegh freight too might give you a go and birds have a depot in or near dartford or perhaps basildon.
try advertising in truckstop news, it’s free to place an advert for drivers looking for work.

www.truckstopnews.co.uk

hope you don’t mind the link trucknet mods, it is in the interest of the drivers and i have no connection with the company i have linked to.
thanks.

Mike Beer at Dover sometimes take on drivers for Benelux and N. France.

Stobarts have got a place at Lokeren in Belgium. Edwin Shirley a bit later on in the year.

Vince

Thanks guys for the info on certain companies,but have tried all but the two Vince mentioned.Fair enough,one had no vacancies,but I’m really sick and tired and disillusioned with this industry.Why do companies make silly rules like Sealanes,“it is a requirement of the company for a driver to reside within approx 25 miles of the depot”. Why,I ask.This seems like a silly rule if say a driver will be tramping for a week or two.What the hell does it matter?Then there was Pulleyns at Reading,who said "you are of no use unless you have an ADR licence.! Thanks,but no thanks.Birds had no vacancies,and Cranleigh Freight wanted 2 years experience.I am ■■■■■■ off with them all now.What the hell do you have to do to get a job which goes just over the watta?

Cheers anyways for your replies.

Glenn:
.What the hell do you have to do to get a job which goes just over the watta?

You have to do what everyone else in your situation has done. Greatly exhagerate your experience and perhaps tell the odd little fib. Failing that, if I were you, I’d go round the companies in person and talk to someone face to face, they’ll find it alot harder to fob you off with pathetic jargon like “2 years experience”.

That Sealane rule is ridiculous, especially if you look at other companies like Brian Yeardley for example who have a few Italian guys working from them, despite being based near Wakefield! Infact several of the International hauliers have foreign drivers who live in common destination countries for whichever company they work for. Did Sealane actually give an excuse for their rule?

No Sealane did not give any reason,just said that “we can’t proceed any further,but thanks for your call”.I did this morning phone a company who were advertising for short haul European drivers.I got their number out of the Truckstop news(cheers) and their Transport manager said that there were no longer any vacancies as the ad had been in for about 4 weeks,but he took my details and said he would get an application form out to me,and would let me know when a vacancy arose.That was good of him,and a bit more like it,thought I.The company name was not on the ad,but they are based in Erith,Kent.When I phoned i’m sure the woman mentioned Europa something or other.Does anyone know of a company called this in the Erith area? Would be very grateful for any info on them.Thanks for all the help,guys.Appreciated.

Glenn,

Glenn:
No Sealane did not give any reason,just said that “we can’t proceed any further,but thanks for your call”.

I wonder if they only accept loads from 25 miles of their base■■? I’ll bet not. Look on the bright side, with ridiculous ‘rules’ like that it just goes to show what sort of management they have and what petty rubbish you’d most probably put up with from them. No doubt you will find a company who dont seem intent on cutting their own throat and actually have abit of common sense and will employ the driver, not the postcode.

Glenn:
…but they are based in Erith,Kent.When I phoned i’m sure the woman mentioned Europa something or other.Does anyone know of a company called this in the Erith area? Would be very grateful for any info on them.Thanks for all the help,guys.Appreciated.

Glenn,

Hi Glen, i worked for Europa about 14 years ago,they are based in Erith, south East London.Most of their work then was over night runs to Paris, Brussels and Holland.they have depots all over now and go alot further afield. They also used to do alot of double manned stuff (if you like that sort of thing!!)

They used to have loads of subbys on for them, why dont you take a trip upto their offfices / yard and check them out. If you get no joy with them you could always checkout the names of the subbys and give them a bell!!

You could also checkout their website…europa-worldwide.co.uk/servi … opean_road

Good luck, dont be afraid to get in your car and bang on some doors! It worked for me quite a few times. Just remember to take your passport and enough gear for a few weeks with you in case you get lucky.

Cheers, bullitt.

If you don’t get any joy with the Uk firms, try some of the Irish companies. Many of them take on UK based drivers.

Tele Gavin Breen on 07742931746,He has about 5-10 XF’s/144’s and has alot of work over to Germany from a base in England somewhere and also back over to Ireland which is where he is based.He pays about 24p/mile,tell him Andy McFarland sent you.

Cheers will give him a ring.I did phone Stobarts,Vince,and apparently, they have a 100 strong waiting list for continental drivers!