Continental or UK?

Hi all, just found this site and it is fantastic :slight_smile:

I am in need of some advice please, I got my class 2 in the army 14 years ago and have just passed my class 1 which cost far too much ggggrrrrrr. However even with 6 years continental experience on everything from 3.5t to 17t not one company i spoke to wants to know as i have no experience. I know i have a lot to learn with regards to artics but i can not seem to make them understand that i wouldn’t of paid for my licence myself if i wasn’t willing to learn. All i want to do is drive artics.

I have just been offered 2 interviews for UK work only and whilst the experience would be good i don’t know if i could do it, at present Folkestone is the furthest north i go and am happy with that, but do you think thats my best option for now?

If anyone knows of any jobs going can they please let me know, i would re-locate for right one. I don’t want much just a decent wage, a truck i can stand up in to get dressed and air con for summer. Two weeks out at a time would be preferable but not too fussy :laughing:

Thanks in advance for your help, will try to reply ASAP but maybe away and don’t have access when away,

Many thanks again

Hi Linux, how’s your alternative operating system?

Welcome to Trucknet, yes it is a gr8 site & you WILL get answers/suggestions (both helpful & tongue in cheek probably). Many of our members are, particularly in this forum, away down the road during the week, so don’t expect answers within minutes.

I’d say you are at the right end of the country to get the type of work you seek. I’m sure if you knock enough doors you will find it. Double manning initially could be a way in?

Also, you might wanna try using the search facility (top mid-right of this page), may lead you to firms seeking continental drivers.

Regards, Jonathan.

Hi Jonathan, thanks for the advice will get the yellow pages out on Monday. Had interview this morning for UK only seems ok, they are running Mercs and all have aircon and high roofs :slight_smile: just need to tidy up a few quieries before committing but they have said i can start on a weeks trial if i want to. I just hope i don’t get too bored trundling around M25 all the time.

Have been using Linux for about 5 years now, wouldn’t even think about Microsoft stuff again but thats just personal preference i know people that are so daunted by Linux that they start sweating just thinking about it. No virus’s for me though :sunglasses:

Linux, have you tried European (run with blue units and curtainsiders)and Mike Beersâ– â– ?

Hello Linux,and welcome to TruckNet.

TheBear has given some good suggestions- although I have worked for both Michael W. (European) and Paul WW (Mike Beer’s transport manager) and I wouldn’t [zb] on either of them if they were on fire.

Unfortunately, continental work is very slack at the mo. If you are serious about doing it, and don’t mind being away, then I suggest you contact Edwin Shirley Trucking.

Vince

*sneaky ones only get past the auto censor!*Denis

Thanks Vince and Bear, Living so near to Dover i have heard all the stories regarding those two companies and agree with you Vince as i simply do not even think about running bent.

Will look up Edwin Shirley in the morning cheers for the info, where are they based?

Once again many thanks :smiley:

They are at Bow, in London. We do a bit for them now and again. We had four trucks on the Paul McCartney tour this year, away for seven weeks though, so you have to be prepared to be away…

Here’s the website- usual disclaimer applies

www.yourock-weroll.com

Vince

How many rigid trucks do EST run or have they started taking novice drivers on?

The insurance alone would prohibit a new driver doing a music tour :open_mouth: