continental express

seen them over the water but was wondering were there from and contact details,how hard is it to get a job goin over the water without having to run bent as … They run white scania`s and dafs :smiley:

There is a Continental Express Transport listed for Waltham Cross Herts

regards
Westie

I have seen them at Stubbins yard… not sure if thats their base though.
and scania, not everyone runs bent over the water!!!

Not saying you do bear,im saying everone so far ive talked to about a job has said "You have to push on if it is needed if you know what i mean"at which point i get up and leave.

Ye there will be some good company`s out there,have yet to find one but if you want to point me in the direction of one i will be more than happy :smiley:

Im not saying all euro lads run bent befoe everyone climbs on the bandwagon,maybe im in the wrong part of the country,maybe its time to hang up the keys and get a NORMAL job :cry:

But if anyone knows of a reputable company after euro drivers please let me cus i`m getting sick of looking :unamused:

you used to hear it all the time if you dont run bent the job wouldnt get done…this is down to the greed of customers refusing to pay a fair rate for the job then expecting miracles…as i say if it was urgent it would have been there yesterday…or my classic
why dont you airfreight if its that urgent i’ll give you the number of a man with an Antanov :frowning:
jeeeeeez the bollocking ive had thru driving legallyish but eh oh on to the next job

scaniamad:
Not saying you do bear,im saying everone so far ive talked to about a job has said "You have to push on if it is needed if you know what i mean"at which point i get up and leave.

Only a thought but maybe you’re being to hasty, if normally you are not going right upto the limit of what is legal, maybe every so often you might have to push it to the maximum of what is possible legally.

I used to hear stories of companies who did the continent by running bent, but they have all been caught at one point and either gone out of business or cleaned up their act.

westie:
There is a Continental Express Transport listed for Waltham Cross Herts

regards
Westie

i tipped a fridge there around a month ago, there was a Scania of theirs came in the yard while i was waiting, 2 drivers got out of truck speaking Portugese, so maybe they are only employing cheap foreign drivers?

An ex workmate of mine went on there and I bumped into him a few months later.He was doing mainly UK when I asked how he was getting on there he wasn’t exactly singing their praises although didn’t have time to go into detail.They do (did?) a two man Gibraltar trip apparently a bit of a waiting list for that.Last time I looked (they advertise regularly) they were paying £30,000 or so,based in Waltham Cross,Herts,hope this helps :wink:

I had a short spell on there around 7-8 years ago doing the Gib run.

There are 2 sides to the firm:

1 - The UK side is the haulage for stubbins marketing, which owns CE, and does fresh produce to most major RDC’s and also smaller outlets.

2 - The continental side is a double manned operation running to Gibraltar mostly for safeways but also do some other work down there. They also used to do some collections from holland but that was mostly done by the UK boys, funny I know.

For most of the year it’s down to Gib and then reload almeria area either for stubbins or elsewhere in the UK.

We used to do the round trip in 5-6 days shipping dover so as you can imagine it’s making maximum use out of the double manning reg’s and certainly no sight seeing trip.

I Don’t know if he’s still there but the man to speak to was John Mead, He’s down to earth and will want you to go in for a test drive which in my case was about 5 mins but the entrance to there yard and the road out to the main road sorts the men from the boys so it’s all he really needs.

I don’t know if things have changed but the system they used to operate was one where you had a lead man in each truck and then the 2nd man was allocated as postions became available. In some case this worked well but they had a couple of right p****s and they got through more drivers than changes of underwear although in one drivers case this was half the problem.

Double manning is not everyones idea of fun and to be truthful I’d never take on a job like that again but once I got with teamed with the right driver I enjoyed my time on there.

Cheers
Neilf

Hi chaps i work for continental have done for 10 years…we are owned by stubbins and run 24 trucks to gib a week, John mead has left around 4 years ago and was one of the few gents left in transport in his eyes you could do the job or you could not, he would take no prisoners and tell you just what was on his mind…ok son was his chossen words. The company do run uk trips to all supermarkets as stubbins pre pack all manner of stuff peppers to cucumbers. Stubbins have pack houses all over Europe and north africa and a massive farm in wales that grows veg…the trucks are new scaina v8s with new trailers as well. If your smart clean and smiley its a great place to work if your lazy and complain you will last ten mins. Not all drivers are up to a real trans continental job. As for John Valentine in some blogs on the net he is still going strong for conty and adds some humour to our jobs… a great guy with years of driving and some graet stories…hope that has shed some light on one of the few remaining uk trans continental haulage companies…

they not looking for drivers at the moment… How do u know… well i rang up yesterday and asked did they need any1 to double drive down to gib or any drivers what so ever willing to be away for weeks at a time after speaking to someone else in the office guy on the phone said no not at the moment thanks anyways.

oddjob:
Hi chaps i work for continental have done for 10 years…we are owned by stubbins and run 24 trucks to gib a week, John mead has left around 4 years ago and was one of the few gents left in transport in his eyes you could do the job or you could not, he would take no prisoners and tell you just what was on his mind…ok son was his chossen words. The company do run uk trips to all supermarkets as stubbins pre pack all manner of stuff peppers to cucumbers. Stubbins have pack houses all over Europe and north africa and a massive farm in wales that grows veg…the trucks are new scaina v8s with new trailers as well. If your smart clean and smiley its a great place to work if your lazy and complain you will last ten mins. Not all drivers are up to a real trans continental job. As for John Valentine in some blogs on the net he is still going strong for conty and adds some humour to our jobs… a great guy with years of driving and some graet stories…hope that has shed some light on one of the few remaining uk trans continental haulage companies…

Have you been down to N/Africa yourself over the last couple of years?

I’d be interested to know the situation, as I did it myself in the 90’s but haven’t been down there since.