Continental Express of Waltham cross

Hi all,
anybody know if Continental Express are still going not seen any of there Scania / Mercs for along time or have they changed names, cheers Alan.

Someone did say a while ago they had been taken over cannot remember who by though.

beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/02763223

noddy360:
Hi all,
anybody know if Continental Express are still going not seen any of there Scania / Mercs for along time or have they changed names, cheers Alan.

Theyre still going on strong. Im often in there to collect a trunk. The yards a nightmare though, you have to be inch perfect :grimacing:

I’m led to understand they have lost the Morrisons contract into Gib so think they have pulled out of running Spain,not sure what is happening as they still have their pack-houses.I used to run with them when they were Burlingtons Ocean Express,anybody remember them?

Was Burlington’s run by Mel Smith from Blackburn,I knew a lad called Dave B who used to drive two manned a Scania 143,I think there was a serious accident en route.It seems like a long time ago?

Who runs the orisons now? Used to see Continental Express regularly including changeover at Dreux. Havn’t seen any obvious British fridges heading that way.

Some while ago there was a thread on here about Sainsbury’s taking over the store in Gib.

BillyCartrans:
I’m led to understand they have lost the Morrisons contract into Gib so think they have pulled out of running Spain,not sure what is happening as they still have their pack-houses.I used to run with them when they were Burlingtons Ocean Express,anybody remember them?

I certainly remember them. Weren`t Burlington Ocean Express American owned originally?
Saw “Rastus” (Brian) a few years ago on a ferry. His dreadlocks are no more, and at that time he was on air freight for Jan De Rijk, IIRC.

They lost the contract…

Previously to a firm in Leicester but, were asked to do again by Safeways (as it was at the time). It used to be 6 double manned teams a day and the round trip was done in 4/5 days including the re-loads. Every motor was filled up with diesel in Gibraltar making the running costs lower than most other UK firms.They were also doing alot of work from Holland too.

I don’t see their motors in the old fleet colours but do see another (possibly a spin off firm) pulling double decker trailers from Sittingbourne and Thrapston Morrisons depots.

A double manned Burlington truck did have a bad accident near Burgos in Spain.
The truck crashed on a bend and went down the very steep embankment.
They both died and the Guardia Civil said one died due to a heart attack with the shock of the accident looming.
The trailer was fully freighted and passing the scene was utter carnage like a bomb had gone off. In a separate accident
There was a PJK driver in a taxi when a motorbike hit the taxi and killed him.
Then The Animal aka Stuart Smith killed in Spain colliding with a broken down coach.
Animal was on the way to Morocco.
Another one in Portugal John Pople had a heart attack and crashed in to a field, he had a tidy small fleet of blue Volvo F12 's.

toby1234abc:
They both died and the Guardia Civil said one died due to a heart attack with the shock of the accident looming.
The trailer was fully freighted and passing the scene was utter carnage like a bomb had gone off. In a separate accident
Then The Animal aka Stuart Smith killed in Spain colliding with a broken down coach.
Another one in Portugal John Pople had a heart attack and crashed in to a field, he had a tidy small fleet of blue Volvo F12 's.

Got it wrong there Toby the chap that died in the taxi was working for bkg not pjk it was Ian Elkins brother who drove fof John Davis

spit the dog:

toby1234abc:

Got it wrong there Toby the chap that died in the taxi was working for bkg not pjk it was Ian Elkins brother who drove fof John Davis

And it wasnt a taxi either. (Assuming were talking about the same event).
A guy from the factory, near Madrid, offered a lift to to a restaurant for two UK drivers who were due to tip the following day. On return he turned left across the road in front of a motorcycle. The impact rolled the car killing front seat passenger and driver, rear seat passenger had only minor injuries I believe.
Gary Elkins was a really nice guy.

And is Toby possibly confusing John Pople, with John Nicholls? John Nicholls was one of the “good guys”, who had about 3 (?) trucks on regular Portugal, (Frans Maas?) and had he a heart attack at the wheel. John Pople is a familiar name, but that`s about all I know.

Edit for typo

Franglais:

spit the dog:

toby1234abc:

you are correct in saying it was not a taxi I believe the accident was on the main road past zona Franca I never knew Gary but everyone said what a nice fella he was but I know his brother Ian quite well , I worked for bkg for a while but it was after the accident

And it wasnt a taxi either. (Assuming were talking about the same event).
A guy from the factory, near Madrid, offered a lift to to a restaurant for two UK drivers who were due to tip the following day. On return he turned left across the road in front of a motorcycle. The impact rolled the car killing front seat passenger and driver, rear seat passenger had only minor injuries I believe.
Gary Elkins was a really nice guy.

And is Toby possibly confusing John Pople, with John Nicholls? John Nicholls was one of the “good guys”, who had about 3 (?) trucks on regular Portugal, (Frans Mass?) and had he a heart attack at the wheel. John Pople is a familiar name, but that`s about all I know.

My error, it was John Nicholls.
Another error , it was the BKG lad not the PJK driver.
Did anyone remember Irish Dave or Dave Brooker, an owner driver on Portuguese round trips ?
Had a variety of ladies living in his truck and would repair the truck on the road side.
Tall man, black glasses ,curly black hair .
Bacardi Grant who loved gaming machines in the bars ?
Trevor Sweet from British International Iveco 360 Turbostar with Rosa living in the cab .?
Merve the Swerve from Bath ?
John long pockets Yates from Devizes ?
White ERF on Brintons carpets Vouzela trips ?

I remember John Nichols and Gary Elkins , what about Gorgeous George Toby ?, died near Villa Formosa in bed.Merv is still with us Geoff Luther and a few SOFA members went to Bath last year to meet up with him.