Continental driving.

I’ve got a chance of a job doing runs over to France, Germany and Belgium. Never done overseas before so was just looking for a few pointers!
Where to/not to park?
Fueling up.
How easy/hard it is.
What kind of wages compared to uk driving?
Think it will be 3-4 days away.
Any help would be a bonus.

Parking is normally fine, you may struggle to find a spot in some areas if you finish late. The plus side is , the facilities are far better, and most places are free.
Fuelling up will depend on what card you have.
Wages wise Probably much the same as UK work, but more enjoyable, well I think so. Have fun!

If your running Belgium a lot keep away from Jabeke. Crawling with free-loaders

Most restaurants have a loyalty card system, ask for a card,buy ten meals get one free.Some places offer a discount for a driver when you pay the bill.

Dear Boy my Father did overseas your just going into Europe same as me do not worry too much if you cant get any help here well the Europeans will help you…Enjoy

hi there,

parking is free in europe so no probs there.

I personally would park as far as possible from the ports as possible or be prepared to check your trailer FULLY. those nasty illegals will sneak into any space there is, or isnt. tilt wire or not.

you should be given a fuel card like DKV, AS24 or some such like these can generally be used for fuel, oil, french peages ect. trains can be prebooked by your company and i did work for a dutch company who had a commercial business user card you slotted in at the barriers.
ferries are just a case of lining up at the check ins of the particular company you are using and giving details, or parking up and using harbour shipping office

in all fairness the idea of continental driving is for the love of it rather than making a mint. you have to put in the driving hours or you wont get anywhere. i could always plan my week better while driving abroad coz you get to know where you want to be each day to arrive back home at the end of the week. Dont expect normal 6am to 6pm days it doesnt work like that, you drive after your breaks whatever time they are, if you want to get back.

Its not all its cracked up to be but its nowhere near as hard as it is made, just use your own common sense and remember its there country. Make sure you have a company credit card if possible, the fines are instant and expensive. the little lingo i know i try to use and they seem to appreciate it.
i always preferred to drive over there, if i was single i would of probably stayed over there, with sending unaccompianied trailers back.

lastly its like marmite, you,ll either love it or hate it but you sure do get to see the world. :smiley: :smiley:

Good luck and all the best

And that’s the best answer you will get take it slow me i love European and hate marmite. where ever you go just don’t be the big Brit just please and thank you even you don’t speak the language they in most part will help you. how do you think i got to Sophia

I cant really add to the posts above only to say I drove for 34yrs[ret now]and only started going over the water for the last 10yrs,its great you get treated as a human being, and apart from the long hrs and who you work for don’t expect to be home every w/end good luck and enjoy,i did and still miss it.
regards dave.

Beware in France they have an old law that means traffic on the right has priority if there’s no markings at their junction or if your not on a priority road also many don’t indicate at roundabouts.

Saaamon:
Beware in France they have an old law that means traffic on the right has priority if there’s no markings at their junction or if your not on a priority road

well the law might be “old” but it’s very much current everywhere in europe.

How true you must always give way to the right at roundabout s

mk7fiesta:

Dont know how you do it, but for the last 30 years when i am approaching a roundabout i have to give way to the traffic coming from my left, when i am in the roundabout the traffic coming from the right has to giveway to me

Geoff

gbtransp:

mk7fiesta:

Dont know how you do it, but for the last 30 years when i am approaching a roundabout i have to give way to the traffic coming from my left, when i am in the roundabout the traffic coming from the right has to giveway to me

Geoff

That’s how I always understood it,never had probs.
regards dave.

mk7fiesta:

It’s true…but only (afaik) on the Arc de Triomphe,aka the magic roundabout.

Sir +:

mk7fiesta:

And of course the one in Swindoncestershire :wink: :slight_smile:

Suedehead:

Sir +:

mk7fiesta:

And of course the one in Swindoncestershire :wink: :slight_smile:

What about the magic r/bout at hemel Hempstead. :smiley: :smiley:
regards dave.